My First Nakaya - The Blue Dragon - Is Here!

sadiemagic

Well, it's here, my Nakaya portable blue dragon cigar -- and boy oh boy, it is beautiful. I find the pen so visually interesting -- it's like the dragon is behind a darkened glass in certain light, but then when it's in a brighter source of illumination, parts of it start to emerge. And then take it into sunlight -- wow, does it pop!

It is a slightly more substantial pen than I expected, although it is very light, balanced and comfortable in my hand. I am also surprised at how smooth the urushi finish is, and I find myself rubbing its surface because of its delightful feel.

I chose the rhodium plated nib, thinking its coolness would complement the cool blue-green dragon, and I'm very pleased with the overall effect. I selected the BB nib and asked for a stub from John Mottishaw. I've two cursive italics from John, and I love how smooth and effortless they are to use, but I also love stub nibs. This stub is fabulous and I'm delighted with his grind on the nib.

Since its arrival, nearly every other inked pen has sat idle. I find myself reaching for it repeatedly, and even am making up excuses to write with it. I have a feeling that this will NOT be my last Nakaya, although I may have to start selling off some less frequently used pens to subsidize what may fast become a Nakaya addiction! :-)

Hopefully I will be successful in attaching some photos of the pen and a writing sample (never having done that on FPN yet)...

post-31729-0-48567700-1333832091.jpg

post-31729-0-58643500-1333832199.jpg

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadiemagic

• TDL

• ethernautrix

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hooray! I'm so glad you love it (not that I ever thought for a second that you wouldn't). Your dragon is indeed beautiful and writes very nicely. Congratulations! and welcome to the world of Nakaya addiction.

Nakaya! Nakaya! (a salutation that ethernautrix and I use in correspondance)

Suzanne

Great pen. Congratulation!

I am considering get this as my 2nd Nakaya, mesmerizing. :happyberet:

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Hooray! I'm so glad you love it (not that I ever thought for a second that you wouldn't). Your dragon is indeed beautiful and writes very nicely. Congratulations! and welcome to the world of Nakaya addiction.

Nakaya! Nakaya! (a salutation that ethernautrix and I use in correspondance)

Suzanne

Thank you! Yes, it's easy to see why many people can't have just one Nakaya. Sort of like that potato chip advertising slogan from a few years back - bet you can't have just one....

I didn't think I'd be so taken with it, but I am. Which is a good thing, because I've never spent so much money on a single pen before. Came close when I bought a Pelikan Blue Ocean many years back, but there's something about the $1000 threshold for me. But maybe now that it's been broken, it'll be easier to do it again!

Great pen. Congratulation!

I am considering get this as my 2nd Nakaya, mesmerizing. :happyberet:

Thanks! Mesmerizing is an apt choice of words.

At the rate I'm fondling it, the blue dragon will "ascend" in no time at all. :-)

I love this pen, the Blue Dragon! It is so beautiful!

I'm happy for you that you are so happy with it, hooray! It is gorgeous.

Nakaya! Nakaya!

*Nods to Suzanne*

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Gorgeous. Pen. I am in the process of getting my second Nakaya; most likely another Piccolo as the portability and fit is just right. Color is a toss-up between black and Kuri.

Also trying to decide between a cursive italic and a stub. Your mention of the smoothness or the cursive italic is steering me in that direction; want something suited to learning cursive italic. But oh do I now want a dragon. Damn!

Ooh, ahhhh. And your very good hand sets it off, too. Congrats!

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I didn't think I'd be so taken with it, but I am. Which is a good thing, because I've never spent so much money on a single pen before. Came close when I bought a Pelikan Blue Ocean many years back, but there's something about the $1000 threshold for me. But maybe now that it's been broken, it'll be easier to do it again!

That is a very valid concern! If you had told me a year and a half ago that I would spend more than $500 for a fountain pen, I would have snorted in derision. With 3 Nakayas currently inked, and a 4th on order, I've had to revise my threshold upward. Next stop? The $1500 mark; when, and if, I can bring myself to spend that much on a pen. (So I need a little more time...I'll get there...unfortunately)

Nakaya! Nakaya! (waving at ethernautrix)

Suzanne

That's a beautiful pen, congratulations!

I'm generally more attracted to the solid color and tamenuri Nakaya finishes, but I'll make an exception for the blue dragon. I'm jealous.

I am delighted that you are enjoying the Blue Dragon. It is a fabulous pen. I have it, also in a portable Cigar buth with the Ruthenium nib. And I often find myself just polishing the pen with a cloth whilst in a meeting. The depth is wonderful. I wish you many happy years writing with it, and maybe a few other Nakayas too. :)

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

Congratulations - what an absolutely beautiful pen! I can understand why your other pens must be more than a little jealous... ;)

Na-ka-ya! Na-ka-ya! (waving at Ethernautrix, Lady Spencerian & possibly Ricky)

Congratulations - what an absolutely beautiful pen! I can understand why your other pens must be more than a little jealous... ;)

Na-ka-ya! Na-ka-ya! (waving at Ethernautrix, Lady Spencerian & possibly Ricky)

*Waving back*

Nakaya! Nakaya!

I have five in rotation today!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Wow!!! :yikes: Congratulations and use it as much as possible.

Why did you have to post this??????? Now I have to get one.

A question: Why did you choose the ruthenium nib? I agree it looks cool and great, but wouldn't yellow gold look great as well?

David

Wow!!! :yikes: Congratulations and use it as much as possible.

Why did you have to post this??????? Now I have to get one.

A question: Why did you choose the ruthenium nib? I agree it looks cool and great, but wouldn't yellow gold look great as well?

David

I chose the rhodium nib because I thought the coolness of the nib would be a good match for the coolness of the pen colors. I think gold would be too warm in appearance. It wouldn't go as well, in my opinion. But of course everyone's tastes differ!

If I'd chosen the dragon in the aka-tamenuri (reddish red), I'd have chosen a gold nib to go with the warm tones of the red and the gold dragon.

Congrats on a very stunning pen, seems to really be becoming a popular model on the network. thumbup.gif

Michael

I want this so badly that it's actually physically painful... :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

(It would go alongside my red & gold dragon Nakaya, which I adore.)

Alas, what a rotten time to become financially responsible and curtail pen spending.

:bonk: :gaah: :bonk: :gaah: :bonk:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

Want! :puddle:

Want it more! :notworthy1:

My Blog Recently updated with first impression of the Waterman Carène / Sailor 1911 Standard

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?