The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platinum Izumo Tagayasan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:27

Here is the Izumo Tagayasan from Platinum. The packaging is the standard Izumo affairs.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The pen is larger than its sister pen, Aka Tamenuri. The comparison will be shown below. The natural wood pattern makes each pen unique and I can sense this pen is well made with great care. My pen is the glossy finish; there is another Tagayasan model with the matt finish. Since I already have matt finish wooden pens already, I am pleased with the glossy finish. It feels good in my hands and I think the glossy finish will help keep the pen in good condition. Surprisingly, the pen is not heavy. Actually, I feel it is lighter than the Izumo Aka Tamanuri (which is made of ebonite).

This is a great addition to my pen collection. Resin, Ebonite, Celluloid, Silver and natural wood. Eeah material has its own virtues. I would be interested in adding a few more wood pens along with a few more sterling silver ones.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tagayasan vs Aka Tamenuri
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Pen2009, 07 April 2012 - 09:13.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:48

Thanks, the review and comparison is very helpful and useful. Have you measured the weights? I seem to remember that the tagyasan Izumo is listed heavier than the ebonite on the platinum website.

Regards,
hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2012 - 16:56

Thanks, the review and comparison is very helpful and useful. Have you measured the weights? I seem to remember that the tagyasan Izumo is listed heavier than the ebonite on the platinum website.

Regards,
hari

Mabye the fact my Aka Tamanuri is set up with a Platinum converter while a Tagayasan is not yet makes the former a little heavier. Without the cap, the Aka Tamanuri's pen body seems to be heavier than the Tagayasan. Maybe this seat of pants comparison on weight is just due to a converter factor. As far as the caps are concerned, I feel the Tagayasan is heavier than the Aka Tamenuri. Since I don't have a scale, I could not really measure each of them.
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2012 - 21:28

very ncie pens thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:02

Thanks for the inputs. is the gripping section made of plastic on the Tagyasan? is it also lacquered?
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#6 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 22:32

Thanks for the nice review. I've never been able to pull the trigger on these pens. They are well made for sure. They are attractive in their own way. But the shape is a little odd to me, I don't much care for the grip section, and the nib leaves me underwhelmed. I have the same nib on my much much cheaper Platinum President, which is also looks better with that size nib. For the price I think I'd go with Nakaya. Different strokes for different folks. Hope you enjoy!

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:01

I think the pen designers at Platinum have evolved this (superb) shape and solved a few issues as a result. The cap and barrel exterior are still continuous. This usually results in a large step between barrel and section, this step has been eliminated by using a continuous tapering profile from the barrel right upto the nib. This means a somewhat complex machining for the cap's inner surface.

#8 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:49

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#9 Inked

Inked

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:09

Wow!
Those pens look great. That is some serious handiwork from those craftsmen.
Not only is the finish incredible, but the way in which they have brought the grain to life makes it look like it is still living.

Those pens, make their other pen lines, look like plastic, nice plastic of course.
I understand why you would love these, as I own a Nakaya that sports the same wonderful finish,
and even though I could have gotten the same nib on their base model, like you, I decided to go with something with a little more artisan flair and uniqueness, that brought some joy to my life, and maybe even some envy to others.

Use them in good health and I'm with you on the silver.

Inked

Sponsored Content

|