Herbin Lie De Thé

Sandy1

Thanks, Sandy. Another stellar review and you've saved my wallet again - I'll stick with tsukushi.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I'm always glad when I can help avoid an unrewarding purchase! :)

And tsukushi, like most of the Pilot iroshizuku inks, is in a league of its own.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• JimB

• Fabienne

• Soundsider

thanks for the precious headsup :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I like this ink a lot.

I was surprised what a different nib width and or flex could do to the tone.

Unfortunately, I did not write down what was what, but I did have look to see if it was the same ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

thanks for the precious headsup :thumbup:

Hi,

You're welcome!

Bye,

S1

I like this ink a lot.

I was surprised what a different nib width and or flex could do to the tone.

Unfortunately, I did not write down what was what, but I did have look to see if it was the same ink.

Hi,

HLdT is definitely a malleable ink, supported by a very good performance profile that makes unacceptable results quite unlikely.

Ah, for ink+pen+paper sampling: I most often label the sheets in pencil with that information before I start generating samples, so I know the position of ink+pen combos on each sheet, and their relationship - rather like preparing the seating arrangement for a dinner party. (That practice has been carried-over to the samples used for the Reviews.)

Bye,

S1

I retreated to this ink after finding PR Sepia to be too thick and dry for any of my pens. I like it, but it is no match for that sepia... Of only I could get it to flow!

Anyway, Sandy, the review is, as usual, exceptionally well done. They are a model of detail and usefulness. :notworthy1:

Hi,

Many thanks for your kind words!

HLdT is quite dry indeed, but flows well from wet pens. i.e. It responds well to the nature of the nib+feed.

I have not tried PR Sepia, though we have the good fortune that member Miles R. has posted a Review, which includes a written comparison to Noodler's Golden Brown and HLdT. LINK

HLdT is also included in the astounding comparison of thirty Sepia inks by Member dcpritch LINK

Bye,

S1

Thanks for the links, Sandy. I did much research before I switched from PR Sepia, an ink I bought solely on the fantastic review by dcpritch of the 32 sepias that you mention.

I now have bought:

1) J. Herbin's Lie de The' (darker, and not as much shading as the PR Sepia)

2) Noodler's Golden Brown (too yellow)and

3) Noodler's #41 Brown, which I have not yet tried.

IMHO, nothing is as lovely as the shading of that damned PR Sepia, and I curse the fates that will not allow it to flow from my pens! I'm even tempted to order it again - just a sample, from another bottle. Maybe the bottle I had was slimed. I can hope. My Edison Herald Tortoise needs to have this ink.

So, summarizing again, LdT is a good ink, has some shading, but not spectacularly so. It will be my brown of choice by default. And again, a thanks for your great reviews. :thumbup:

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

snip

Thanks for the links, Sandy. I did much research before I switched from PR Sepia, an ink I bought solely on the fantastic review by dcpritch of the 32 sepias that you mention.

I now have bought:

IMHO, nothing is as lovely as the shading of that damned PR Sepia, and I curse the fates that will not allow it to flow from my pens! I'm even tempted to order it again - just a sample, from another bottle. Maybe the bottle I had was slimed. I can hope. My Edison Herald Tortoise needs to have this ink.

So, summarizing again, LdT is a good ink, has some shading, but not spectacularly so. It will be my brown of choice by default. And again, a thanks for your great reviews. :thumbup:

Hi,

Some time ago I mentioned adding of a minute quantity of surfactant to dry inks (esp. I-Gs) to increase their flow rate, so perhaps that might do as well to overcome the problem you are having with that bottle of PR Sepia, though it may wreak havoc with the shading. (?) LINK

Bye,

S1

Thanks, Sandy, as always, a magnificent review. I loved Herbin Lie de The. It is a great balancing act between green and brown and shades very well. I had to give it up but I still loved it while I had it.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Not to be nosy, but after you stopped using HLdT, what if any ink took its place in your array?

Bye,

S1

Noodler's Golden Brown. I love that one. High high shading and even prettier/uglier color.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

snip

I now have bought:

Hi,

Some time ago I mentioned adding of a minute quantity of surfactant to dry inks (esp. I-Gs) to increase their flow rate, so perhaps that might do as well to overcome the problem you are having with that bottle of PR Sepia, though it may wreak havoc with the shading. (?) LINK

Bye,

S1

Ah. Alas, I tried adding just water at first. No change. Then added 2 drops of Dawn and 50/50 ink/water dilution. This was just a stubborn ink for me. Like a bowl of Aunt Agatha's gravy at Thanksgiving. Only slightly wetter than that thing that attacked Steve McQueen's town in "The Blob." :ltcapd:

http://www.katherinecowley.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/the-blob.jpg

About the above - Sorry for going off topic. :headsmack:

Lie de The' is the ink in review, sorry to keep carping about the love-hate relationship I have with PR Sepia.

• 1 month later...

Sandy, thanks for another great review and for another OOTx series! Currently Yama Guri is my favorite brown, but my 12 year old daughter loves drinking tea and has made Lie de Thé her daily ink (in her yellow Pilot VP). I bought her a 100ml bottle (from Terry Brack at the 2011 DC supershow - it has noble lineage!) and freely admit to snagging a fill myself every now and then.

I completely agree with your Waterman Havana review - I wanted to love it because it was my only brown for about a year, but each time I filled a pen with it I ended up flushing it after writing a half page. It seems like an ink that can't decide if it wants to be brown or burgandy.

Craig

Thanks, Sandy, as always, a magnificent review. I loved Herbin Lie de The. It is a great balancing act between green and brown and shades very well. I had to give it up but I still loved it while I had it.

OK, let me ask the other question...why did you choose to give up LdT? I just bought my first bottle of this interesting ink last week, and have managed to get my favorite Mottishaw-flexed M400 Brown Tortoise EF to go dry on its first fill. Not sure if it's the ink or a random event. Seems otherwise exactly what I was looking for in a correspondence ink to complement the pen's rich coloring. Not aware of any behavior problems.

/Soundsider

...jumps over the lazy dog.

Sandy, thanks for another great review and for another OOTx series! Currently Yama Guri is my favorite brown, but my 12 year old daughter loves drinking tea and has made Lie de Thé her daily ink (in her yellow Pilot VP). I bought her a 100ml bottle (from Terry Brack at the 2011 DC supershow - it has noble lineage!) and freely admit to snagging a fill myself every now and then.

I completely agree with your Waterman Havana review - I wanted to love it because it was my only brown for about a year, but each time I filled a pen with it I ended up flushing it after writing a half page. It seems like an ink that can't decide if it wants to be brown or burgandy.

Craig

Hi Craig,

You're welcome!

Glad you liked the review and the OOTE series. :)

Your daughter has great taste in ink! I reckon she got that from her dad. Great that she's willing to share her signature ink. :thumbup:

How unfortunate that you agreed with my opinion of Waterman Havana. Every so often I hope I've misread an ink - some defining characteristic eluded me - so other Members would gently guide me to an epiphany. Not the case for Havana though.

I was rather disappointed when I read that Waterman was just renaming their inks, instead of releasing new inks.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Black slime. I think that color is prone to it. I replaced it with Noodler's Golden Brown which I ended up liking far more.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Black slime. I think that color is prone to it. I replaced it with Noodler's Golden Brown which I ended up liking far more.

Thanks...will be on the lookout. I had considered the Golden Brown, but already use Diamine Sepia and was looking for something with a more khaki/green hue. Appreciate the heads-up.

/Soundsider

...jumps over the lazy dog.

OK, let me ask the other question...why did you choose to give up LdT? I just bought my first bottle of this interesting ink last week, and have managed to get my favorite Mottishaw-flexed M400 Brown Tortoise EF to go dry on its first fill. Not sure if it's the ink or a random event. Seems otherwise exactly what I was looking for in a correspondence ink to complement the pen's rich coloring. Not aware of any behavior problems.

/Soundsider

i dont know what opinion to give about your pen going dry, except maybe a rare bad bottle (SITB)--i was at the 4-hr marathon cards vs phillies game 5/24 in STL---uncle joe always keeps score, but forgot to get a pencil--he asked if i had a pen (they always know, somehow, eh?)--panicked, :unsure: i figured the most invincible one in my case was the copper esty w/ 9668 nib and LdT (love that ink)--it not only survived, but did so uncapped most of the nite, and the scorecard is a beauty, for a 19-run game ---no drips, no runs, no airs/nib dry-out--now i really love that ink

i'll post pics in the esty forum eventually---i still dont believe it

What is the text that you are writing?

Hi,

As credited, the text is from the novel Moby Dick. Chapter 132 - The Symphony.

. . . Aloft, like a royal czar and king, the sun seemed giving this gentle air to this bold and roiling sea; even as bride to groom. And at the girdling line of the horizon, a soft and tremulous motion—most seen here at the Equator—denoted the fond, throbbing trust, the loving alarms, with which the poor bride gave her bosom away.

I certainly hope that you, sir, do not infer that what was written cannot be read.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

For those looking for comparisons to other Brown (sepia toned) inks, member dcpritch has posted an astounding set of comparisons HERE

And that's only Part One!

For those looking for ideas for 'murky' Green-Brown-Black inks, member geoduc has posted an astounding set of comparisons HERE

And that's only Part One!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Great now I have to get a bottle of this ink. :glare:

Luckily it's available at my local bookstore!

Great review Sandy! :)

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-