Twsbi Micarta

Uwe W.

I urge you to move along and stop being so positive.

:ph34r:

Now I want to share a puppy with you.

Neat! I'll take the front half.

Aw man... wait, that means I get the happy tail-wagging part. And since it won't be connected to the food intake part, should be clean.

Anyway, you deserve the front half for your post.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• picautomaton

• watch_art

• gks

Honest debate is one thing. But some of the (bleep) I've seen in others, and the response of a previous poster in this thread are clearly what I'm trying to prevent.

Needless bashing just because you're "entitled to your opinion" doesn't make it right. It just makes those people look like fools. But at the same time they're being needlessly harsh towards something they don't own, nor will they ever own. So, why do it except to be an ass?

"the response of a previous poster in this thread are clearly what **I'm trying to prevent.**

I tried to comment earlier on this with levity but perhaps that levity lessened the apparent validity of my point.

I'll be more clear.

Unless you are an Admin or a Moderator here, It is NOT *Your* position to determine how people should or should not tone their post.

PERIOD.

If you honestly feel someone's post here violates forum rules your "responsibility" is limited to ONE action, stabbing that little "REPORT" button and telling those whose responsibility IT REALLY IS of your suspicions. They may or may even NOT respond to your report As they wish and At their leisure.

Furthermore and Frankly, if I WERE a frequent stabber of the REPORT button, and I'm not, YOUR post labeling others here as "fools" or a "ass" CLEARLY fall outside forum rules and would have been reported.

The biblical admonition to not be concerned with the twig in your neighbors eye when there's a log in your own comes to mind here.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Thank you, you've convinced me I no longer want to be in any way affiliated with this site.

PERIOD.

Shaporama: your post wasn't the problem, perhaps I posted to the wrong thread in the grand scheme of things. I wasn't addressing you specifically. Saying you dislike a pen is one thing, but the vehemence spewing from some idiots is the problem. You have done no wrong, however.

My last post on this topic, and any other topic. I've asked an Admin to delete my account. This site isn't worth visiting daily any longer.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, honestly. I just want to know what it is about this pen that people find it attractive. I am trying not to judge this by appearances only. Also, I was unaware of what you must be describing as a legion of detractors.

It seems like there are about 5 threads on the Micarta going right now, and each one is peppered with people that love it and hate it. It just seems to me that those that hate it really seem to want to show their displeasure. Pointing out how ugly it is, or how expensive it is. Or they even go as far as to knock TWSBI saying the price is too high for what it is and that TWSBI is no longer interesting to them now that they made a more expensive pen.

Just seems to me that people are being overly critical and a general elitist attitude is showing through. I like this community. I've learned a lot, but as an outsider in many respects it feels like a lot of bashing going on by the detractors. There may not be a legion of them, but there are enough of them being a bit harsh about it and it's starting to turn me off to this site.

Like I said, I haven't even received mine yet and I already feel like people are trying to make me feel as if it was a bad purchase.

I don't mean to be harsh, but you might just be taking things a little too personally. I've read a bunch (although not all) of the Micarta threads, and haven't seen anything I would consider a personal attack. No one's said they think people who are buying are bad or dumb. And as much as the aesthetic might suit you, surely you can see why it would not suit someone else?

I've endured yeeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrrsssss of Rotring Core bashing. It regularly appears near the top of "ugliest pen" lists. Along with the Pelikan Ductus - another one of my favorites and also a frequent flier on "ugliest pen" lists. It has never occurred to me that my feelings should be hurt. It's my opinion, and everyone else has theirs. It can't be "wrong". It's certainly not fair to ask everyone to be unfailingly positive or to shut up, so to speak.

(emphasis mine)

Exactly! I'm new to fountain pens, but I've been a forum poster over at Ravelry since they started the site. If I had a nickel for every time someone called a yarn or fiber I love ugly, I could retire as a millionaire at age 30. I really truly don't understand what is so threatening about someone saying they find X product ugly.

Edited by benazeer

Honest debate is one thing. But some of the (bleep) I've seen in others, and the response of a previous poster in this thread are clearly what I'm trying to prevent.

Needless bashing just because you're "entitled to your opinion" doesn't make it right. It just makes those people look like fools. But at the same time they're being needlessly harsh towards something they don't own, nor will they ever own. So, why do it except to be an ass?

"the response of a previous poster in this thread are clearly what **I'm trying to prevent.**

I tried to comment earlier on this with levity but perhaps that levity lessened the apparent validity of my point.

I'll be more clear.

Unless you are an Admin or a Moderator here, It is NOT *Your* position to determine how people should or should not tone their post.

PERIOD.

If you honestly feel someone's post here violates forum rules your "responsibility" is limited to ONE action, stabbing that little "REPORT" button and telling those whose responsibility IT REALLY IS of your suspicions. They may or may even NOT respond to your report As they wish and At their leisure.

Furthermore and Frankly, if I WERE a frequent stabber of the REPORT button, and I'm not, YOUR post labeling others here as "fools" or a "ass" CLEARLY fall outside forum rules and would have been reported.

The biblical admonition to not be concerned with the twig in your neighbors eye when there's a log in your own comes to mind here.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Thank you, you've convinced me I no longer want to be in any way affiliated with this site.

PERIOD.

Shaporama: your post wasn't the problem, perhaps I posted to the wrong thread in the grand scheme of things. I wasn't addressing you specifically. Saying you dislike a pen is one thing, but the vehemence spewing from some idiots is the problem. You have done no wrong, however.

My last post on this topic, and any other topic. I've asked an Admin to delete my account. This site isn't worth visiting daily any longer.

I doubt you'd see this but just in case, with all due respect, I think you're being a tad bit too sensitive here... and the tone of your posts isn't exactly helping your initial gripe either (about the negative tone of other posters in regards to the Micarta). -_-

I'm a fan of the Micarta (I bought it as soon as it came out and am anxiously awaiting mine). I'm not going to let the Micarta detractors get to me... after all, it's me who is going to be using the pen, not them. So who cares what they think/say?

Edited by danahn17

[url="http://i-think-ink.tumblr.com/"]thINK[/url]: my pen & paper blog :)

I feel like people are being overly harsh on the Micarta. I ordered one because it was unique and different. While I have not received mine yet I've read plenty of "opinions" by naysayers and critics. Now, I'm going to quit reading them because no one on here should make me feel bad about a pen purchase. But the negative comments are becoming problematic. I don't regret my decision, and you're free to have your opinion of it. However, please stop bad mouthing a pen you have never used or seen in person. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Leave it at that and move on.

Must a pen always be bright and shiny? Must it always look like it is brand new and fresh off the assembly line? To me, it looks vintage without being vintage.

It's a pen. It writes. We enjoy writing, do we not? We're not here because fountain pens look like super models right?

In my limited experience, I've never seen such a polarizing pen. People either seem to love it, or hate it. If you hate it, go look at something else. There are plenty of pens out there to fit your needs and material lusts.

It seems to me that people come into threads looking to be wow'ed by this pen and/or converted somehow from displeasure to amazing understanding of this pen. But in the end they just belittle something they do not own or care to own. I urge you to move along and stop being so negative.

Pens are like people, if it weren't for variety we'd all be pretty boring right? So please stop discouraging pen makers from making something different by belittling it and potentially turning someone off on a pen. We should be pleased that a company goes out of its way to make something unique and different. Don't ruin it and take that away from us.

I hate to tell you but you're basically saying everyone is entitled to their opinion except under certain circumstances that you will name. The poster you're berating did nothing more than give an opinion. And you don't need to own or have used a product to have an opinion on its looks, else we'd all have to buy every pen to see if it looked good or not. I happen to agree that this pen is WAY ugly. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it without your permission, thank you.

You're welcome to your opinion, but please keep it to yourself and/or keep it civil without needless bashing on a public forum. There's a line between "being polite" and being... well... what you just did.

Pot calling the kettle black.

It's a different and interesting pen. Something needed in this world of ho-hum pens all the same, this one, that one, all hundreds of dollars for designs essentially the same, and along comes this new pen. This is not something one should regret purchasing. Even if downsides emerge, it is refreshing, and I want one.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I feel like people are being overly harsh on the Micarta. I ordered one because it was unique and different. While I have not received mine yet I've read plenty of "opinions" by naysayers and critics. Now, I'm going to quit reading them because no one on here should make me feel bad about a pen purchase. But the negative comments are becoming problematic. I don't regret my decision, and you're free to have your opinion of it. However, please stop bad mouthing a pen you have never used or seen in person. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Leave it at that and move on.

Must a pen always be bright and shiny? Must it always look like it is brand new and fresh off the assembly line? To me, it looks vintage without being vintage.

It's a pen. It writes. We enjoy writing, do we not? We're not here because fountain pens look like super models right?

In my limited experience, I've never seen such a polarizing pen. People either seem to love it, or hate it. If you hate it, go look at something else. There are plenty of pens out there to fit your needs and material lusts.

It seems to me that people come into threads looking to be wow'ed by this pen and/or converted somehow from displeasure to amazing understanding of this pen. But in the end they just belittle something they do not own or care to own. I urge you to move along and stop being so negative.

Pens are like people, if it weren't for variety we'd all be pretty boring right? So please stop discouraging pen makers from making something different by belittling it and potentially turning someone off on a pen. We should be pleased that a company goes out of its way to make something unique and different. Don't ruin it and take that away from us.

I hate to tell you but you're basically saying everyone is entitled to their opinion except under certain circumstances that you will name. The poster you're berating did nothing more than give an opinion. And you don't need to own or have used a product to have an opinion on its looks, else we'd all have to buy every pen to see if it looked good or not. I happen to agree that this pen is WAY ugly. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it without your permission, thank you.

Ouch.

You're giving me buyers remorse and I've yet to receive mine.

Why? Its only my opinion, which was my point. But we're talking looks here, I don't need to own it when there are dozens of pictures of it that show me how it looks (again, my point). If you like it, that's great.

Wow. Someone actually said I'm welcome to my opinion but keep it to myself? That seriously made my day. If we all followed your advice (including you) this forum would be postless. Nowhere does it say only positive opinions allowed and up to this post, I was directing my opinions at no one, just tossing them out there. I suppose I should delete my posts raving positively about the Diamond 540 and Iroshizuku inks because I should keep my opinions to myself, lest they differ from some self-appointed moderator.

Edited by imahawki

With each review and more photos, I'm getting closer to overcoming my weird reluctance to order one. (It's just... am I going to use it, when I have all these Nakayas? I love my Nakayas.)

And if you don't use the Micarta frequently, you won't get that patina -- and then what's the point of it?

Uwe, thanks so much for posting such detailed photos. They answer several questions I had about this pen.

[The Micarta look really appeals to me. Pondering ordering one. Yes, converters can be cheap and flimsy, but I can replace it with a Schmidt for a few bucks if necessary. And guess what? I luvs me my big ol' shiny Pelikan piston fillers, too.]

Micarta = The new Montblanc, polarization-wise. :headsmack:

Really agree! Just one point: Micarta converter IS Schmidt. :blink:

With each review and more photos, I'm getting closer to overcoming my weird reluctance to order one. (It's just... am I going to use it, when I have all these Nakayas? I love my Nakayas.)

And if you don't use the Micarta frequently, you won't get that patina -- and then what's the point of it?

And that's a good point. Thank you, anomalogue. I am working on using the Nakayas so that they might show some well-loved wear-and-tear on them eventually. (That isn't the reason, but it's something to look forward to.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

An attempt to answer the question of what is appealing about the Micarta:

1) It looks crude, organic and un-slick (which to some people is a good thing).

2) Each pen is unique and shows traces of its manufacture.

3) It develops a patina as you use it and live with it and it becomes more yours.

4) Micarta is a very tough material, so the pen is good for everyday, casual use and it doesn't need much protection.

5) It wasn't made with the goal of satisfying the maximum number of people, but to please a very particular taste.

I think of it as the antithesis of the iPhone ideal -- slick, uniform, meant to be used 2-4 years, degrades with each scratch and needs careful handling, and just about everyone wants one, or something just like it.

(Of course, this is not an explanation of why the pen is appealing, just an account of what seems to trigger reactions. What's great about design is that our responses aren't reasoned -- just something in us resonates with or reacts against something we experience. We often don't even know that something is there until it responds. I think that has something to do with why these discussions can get touchy. It's personal, worldless and somewhat uncertain.)

Thanks for the pics, I think I want one now;) However, I really would like to know what this pen's measurements are, specifically:

Length capped,

length posted,

ength unposted,

barrel plus section length,

maximum diameter of the cap,

section diameter and barrel diameter,

all preferably in mm and of course the weight in grams.

Too few pen companies, internet sellers and reviewers post such information and it is very useful in determining if a pen will be a good fit when you don't have the option of trying one out in the flesh before buying.

Thanks for the pics, I think I want one now;) However, I really would like to know what this pen's measurements are, specifically:

Length capped,

length posted,

ength unposted,

barrel plus section length,

maximum diameter of the cap,

section diameter and barrel diameter,

all preferably in mm and of course the weight in grams.

Too few pen companies, internet sellers and reviewers post such information and it is very useful in determining if a pen will be a good fit when you don't have the option of trying one out in the flesh before buying.

Hello Ned C. I hope this will help you some. I've just received my pen and I measured it as best as I could. These are in inches unfortunately.

5 1/4 capped, 5 un-capped, 6 5/8 posted.

I love the pen by the way and maybe you will too. It's very unique and judging from all the discussions here, it isn't for everyone. I don't regret buying it one bit. I'm trying to figure out what color ink to load it up with. The nib is very smooth. I hope TWSBI continues to bring us more varied offerings like this one. I wonder how it would look in black! I'm not a black pen person but I bet it would look pretty slick using this texture.

Uwe, thanks for the pictures, especially of the partially unscrewed section. That's a damn big nib. Do you like how it writes?

Um... wow!

I was in a hurry when I posted the photos and didn't have the time to add anything else. Returning today to jot down a few thoughts about the pen, I was stunned by the number of responses to this thread.

You're right. The Micarta has a very large nib and it's going to take me a little while to get used to it. I ordered a Fine even though I always buy Mediums. I'm not sure why, maybe it was the unique look of the pen, but I decided to go for something different and try a finer nib.

My initial reaction to the way it writes is lukewarm. The Diamond 540 I have (a Medium) writes better - or to be more fair - works better for me. However, I have to add a caveat. I know that a good part of my initial reaction stems from my unfamiliarity with a Fine nib, and using a nib that size.

With respect to all the contentious comments about its appearance, none of them have had any effect on how I feel about the Micarta. In short: I love the way it looks. That's a really good thing because I bought this pen purely because of its looks. My personal tastes are often tempered by sentimentality and an appreciation for rustic, aged and otherwise vintage finishes and textures. The texture of the Micarta combined with its inconsistent earth tones checks many boxes for me. Perhaps best of all, it doesn't look like any other fountain pen that I own. That alone made it worth the money.

Criticisms? There are a couple. The packaging, although completely irrelevant to the function of the pen, is a part of the purchase experience and I felt let down by it. I thought the box the 540 came in was as cleverly designed as the pen itself, and I was expecting a similar reprise from TWSBI for the Micarta. Instead, the pen that cost twice as much came in a cardboard box without any paper work. It's a small thing really, but sometimes I do get caught up in the little details.

I'm also concerned about the threads. While the section screws into the barrel very smoothly, the cap threading onto the barrel feels rough. To be honest, I don't know a thing about this material so maybe my concerns are unfounded. At the moment I'm worried about stripping, cross-threading, or otherwise damaging the threads. If someone was to tell me that those threads as a durable as those machined into metal, this would be a non-issue.

I noticed several people complaining about the converter. I have no issues with it whatsoever. I did have to flush the pen before it would draw ink, but ultimately that's all I want - the option to use whichever bottled ink I choose. How a pen goes about doing this is of no consequence to me; whatever mechanism it uses to draw and store my favourite ink is hidden from sight and doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the pen. If it was a demonstrator, I would agree that a converter wouldn't be the right choice. The Micarta isn't a demonstrator.

One last note (for today) for my fellow Canadians. I think I'm done with ordering from anyone who insists on shipping via a courier company. The pen cost me $100 and I was fine with that. Delivery via FedEx (there wasn't another option) added $25 to the bill. I wasn't so thrilled about that. The pen showed up at my door three days later with a $25 COD. Duties and taxes can't be avoided, but the bulk of that extra charge was FedEx's brokerage fee. Essentially then I paid an additional $50 on my $100 pen to have it delivered. That left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I've rambled on for far too long. Happy Easter everyone.

Keep up the innovation, we need more of that in the pen world where Parker thinks a felt tip with a fake nib on the end is innovation.thumbup.gif

Great point!

I love the look of the Micarta. I love the fray'dness of it, the roughness of it, the unfinished look of it. The only obstacle is paying for a pen when my pen rotation is already full. I'm reluctant to make space for a pen that I might enjoy writing with when I have so many great pens. I know that sounds cray-cray in these parts, but there you go. Jules knows what I'm talkin' about. (Smiley face to jde.)

happyberet.gif

Mostly, while reading this thread, I've wanted to reply, "Yeah, what ethernautrix said." So, there ya go.

The Micarta has definitely caught my eye. The material is fascinating. It's been used in pens here or there, I think (Sailor, comes to mind), and is used for knife handles and (how do I know this?) gun handles, too. I like that the material changes with the individual's use of the it. That is awesome! So uniquely individual, uh, yeah. Like that.

The thing is, though, the NIB is not appealing. If I could put a cool nib in the Micarta, one that appeals to my pen preferences, then, hmmmm. I'd buy one!

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

I buy what I like not what others like.

I dislike what I dislike for my own reasons not because someone else dislikes something.

Sometimes my opinion aligns with others.

For several reasons I don't like this pen (the stick styling, finish of the Micarta, the look of the thread, the burned in name/number (to name a few)).

The price is irrelevant to me.

appreciate the photos, now I can get back to my regularly scheduled programme

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Hated it when I first saw it. Looked again and decided it was kind of interesting. Bought it on the third look.