Twsbi Micarta

Uwe W.

I feel like people are being overly harsh on the Micarta. I ordered one because it was unique and different. While I have not received mine yet I've read plenty of "opinions" by naysayers and critics. Now, I'm going to quit reading them because no one on here should make me feel bad about a pen purchase. But the negative comments are becoming problematic. I don't regret my decision, and you're free to have your opinion of it. However, please stop bad mouthing a pen you have never used or seen in person. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Leave it at that and move on.

Must a pen always be bright and shiny? Must it always look like it is brand new and fresh off the assembly line? To me, it looks vintage without being vintage.

It's a pen. It writes. We enjoy writing, do we not? We're not here because fountain pens look like super models right?

In my limited experience, I've never seen such a polarizing pen. People either seem to love it, or hate it. If you hate it, go look at something else. There are plenty of pens out there to fit your needs and material lusts.

It seems to me that people come into threads looking to be wow'ed by this pen and/or converted somehow from displeasure to amazing understanding of this pen. But in the end they just belittle something they do not own or care to own. I urge you to move along and stop being so negative.

Pens are like people, if it weren't for variety we'd all be pretty boring right? So please stop discouraging pen makers from making something different by belittling it and potentially turning someone off on a pen. We should be pleased that a company goes out of its way to make something unique and different. Don't ruin it and take that away from us.

Surely you wait until you have received your pen before you state you got regret it. To me it looks tatty with the loose threads around the threading, I'd be worried by this because the threading may be liable to be easily damage if the lose threads get any worst. Also you don't know how this material will actually feel in your hand.

I'm sure you'll like it because you have hyped yourself up in advance and you are clearly trying to stop honest debate about a pen on a pen forum.

To me this looks like an entry level pen made by someone who does not appreciate fine details. I can't understand why it costs so much. It seems like they have made it limited edition purely for the sake of it and therefore using this as a reason to double the price of their normal plastic pens.

Edited by BrandonA

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• picautomaton

• watch_art

• gks

A fascinating pen (to me, I hasten to add) and an interesting thread. I too don't worry about differences of taste--folks here like/love some pen designs the appeal of which I'll never see. Personally, I'm drawn to all kinds of books, film, music, and fountain pens; and I'm really drawn to this one. Mine arrived yesterday and while I've only begun to live with it, I'm glad I have it. (I'll append my more extended comments to the initial evaluation of the pen someone posted over in the review section.)

I feel like people are being overly harsh on the Micarta. I ordered one because it was unique and different. While I have not received mine yet I've read plenty of "opinions" by naysayers and critics. Now, I'm going to quit reading them because no one on here should make me feel bad about a pen purchase. But the negative comments are becoming problematic. I don't regret my decision, and you're free to have your opinion of it. However, please stop bad mouthing a pen you have never used or seen in person. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Leave it at that and move on.

Must a pen always be bright and shiny? Must it always look like it is brand new and fresh off the assembly line? To me, it looks vintage without being vintage.

It's a pen. It writes. We enjoy writing, do we not? We're not here because fountain pens look like super models right?

In my limited experience, I've never seen such a polarizing pen. People either seem to love it, or hate it. If you hate it, go look at something else. There are plenty of pens out there to fit your needs and material lusts.

It seems to me that people come into threads looking to be wow'ed by this pen and/or converted somehow from displeasure to amazing understanding of this pen. But in the end they just belittle something they do not own or care to own. I urge you to move along and stop being so negative.

Pens are like people, if it weren't for variety we'd all be pretty boring right? So please stop discouraging pen makers from making something different by belittling it and potentially turning someone off on a pen. We should be pleased that a company goes out of its way to make something unique and different. Don't ruin it and take that away from us.

I hate to tell you but you're basically saying everyone is entitled to their opinion except under certain circumstances that you will name. The poster you're berating did nothing more than give an opinion. And you don't need to own or have used a product to have an opinion on its looks, else we'd all have to buy every pen to see if it looked good or not. I happen to agree that this pen is WAY ugly. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it without your permission, thank you.

You're welcome to your opinion, but please keep it to yourself and/or keep it civil without needless bashing on a public forum. There's a line between "being polite" and being... well... what you just did.

Surely you wait until you have received your pen before you state you got regret it. To me it looks tatty with the loose threads around the threading, I'd be worried by this because the threading may be liable to be easily damage if the lose threads get any worst. Also you don't know how this material will actually feel in your hand.

I'm sure you'll like it because you have hyped yourself up in advance and you are clearly trying to stop honest debate about a pen on a pen forum.

To me this looks like an entry level pen made by someone who does not appreciate fine details. I can't understand why it costs so much. It seems like they have made it limited edition purely for the sake of it and therefore using this as a reason to double the price of their normal plastic pens.

Honest debate is one thing. But some of the (bleep) I've seen in others, and the response of a previous poster in this thread are clearly what I'm trying to prevent.

Needless bashing just because you're "entitled to your opinion" doesn't make it right. It just makes those people look like fools. But at the same time they're being needlessly harsh towards something they don't own, nor will they ever own. So, why do it except to be an ass?

Very cool looking. I'm just seeing it now but the material looks familiar, not ebonite but....a type of nylon? I can see some peoples point on the 100$ when you could get a Indian pen, but I think the nib might be better on this one, but its still cool, and I like different. As far as converter vs. piston, we know there are even MB's that cost 3x as much and they are CC/Conv. The filling system isn't the only thing I look at but its one of them. Saving now for a M800 otherwise I would have gone for it.

I hope perhaps TWSBI considers a regular production run on these someday, and if its the material I think it is you can get a smooth finish, not like "precious resin" but still....

Keep up the innovation, we need more of that in the pen world where Parker thinks a felt tip with a fake nib on the end is innovation.thumbup.gif

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Very cool looking. I'm just seeing it now but the material looks familiar, not ebonite but....a type of nylon? I can see some peoples point on the 100$ when you could get a Indian pen, but I think the nib might be better on this one, but its still cool, and I like different. As far as converter vs. piston, we know there are even MB's that cost 3x as much and they are CC/Conv. The filling system isn't the only thing I look at but its one of them. Saving now for a M800 otherwise I would have gone for it.

I hope perhaps TWSBI considers a regular production run on these someday, and if its the material I think it is you can get a smooth finish, not like "precious resin" but still....

Keep up the innovation, we need more of that in the pen world where Parker thinks a felt tip with a fake nib on the end is innovation.thumbup.gif

From Wikipedia: "Micarta is a trademark of Norplex-Micarta industrial high pressure laminates and refers to a composite of linen, canvas, paper, fiberglass, carbon fiber or other fabric in a thermosetting plastic, originally used in electrical and decorative applications. Micarta was developed by George Westinghouse at least as early as 1910 using phenolic resins invented by Dr. Leo Baekeland. These resins were used to impregnate paper and cotton fabric which were cured under pressure and high temperature to produce laminates. In later years this manufacturing method included the use of fiberglass fabric, other resin types were also used. Today Micarta high pressure industrial laminates are produced with a wide variety of resins and fibers. The term has been inappropriately used to generically refer to most resin impregnated fibre compounds. Common uses of modern high pressure laminates are as electrical insulators, printed circuit board substrates, and knife handles."

It seems to me that whether a pen enthusiast loves the pen or hates it is his/her business. They certainly shouldn't be chastised for liking it. What are we - the pen police??

TDC/

Honest debate is one thing. But some of the (bleep) I've seen in others, and the response of a previous poster in this thread are clearly what I'm trying to prevent.

Needless bashing just because you're "entitled to your opinion" doesn't make it right. It just makes those people look like fools. But at the same time they're being needlessly harsh towards something they don't own, nor will they ever own. So, why do it except to be an ass?

I guess I started this wildfire (unintentionally I might add), by asking a simple question, "what do people see in this pen?" I admit that perhaps I don't "get it." I don't get a lot of things these days including hip hop, short suit coats and contextual art. To me, this pen is relatively expensive, and it looks unfinished, unattractive and poorly made (look at those threads). If the OP hadn't posted pictures I would never have felt the urge to comment. But then, what was the purpose of posting those images in the first place? If it was to encourage only fawning approval of TWISBI and this Micarta pen then why have a discussion forum at all?

Edited by Shaporama

"the response of a previous poster in this thread are clearly what **I'm trying to prevent.**

I tried to comment earlier on this with levity but perhaps that levity lessened the apparent validity of my point.

I'll be more clear.

Unless you are an Admin or a Moderator here, It is NOT *Your* position to determine how people should or should not tone their post.

PERIOD.

If you honestly feel someone's post here violates forum rules your "responsibility" is limited to ONE action, stabbing that little "REPORT" button and telling those whose responsibility IT REALLY IS of your suspicions. They may or may even NOT respond to your report As they wish and At their leisure.

Furthermore and Frankly, if I WERE a frequent stabber of the REPORT button, and I'm not, YOUR post labeling others here as "fools" or a "ass" CLEARLY fall outside forum rules and would have been reported.

The biblical admonition to not be concerned with the twig in your neighbors eye when there's a log in your own comes to mind here.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

This isn't my forum - but the "opinion bashing" is getting on my nerves. If you don't like somebody's opinion, skip their posts. Nobody is making you read anything. As long as the comments don't get abusive or really really ugly, then there's nothing wrong with somebody saying they don't like a pen b/c they think it's ugly. I don't remember reading in the rules anywhere that people aren't allowed to say something doesn't appeal to them. Also, here on FPN there's a button that allows you to block users, so you can't see their posts or get PMs from them.

Keep it civil.

Uwe, thanks for the pictures, especially of the partially unscrewed section. That's a damn big nib. Do you like how it writes?

I'm more interested in the material: I just wonder if anyone has practical, real life experience with that "micarta" stuff - looking at the pictures, it seems that it could be possible to pluck out strings or flakes of that stuff. Is that true? I don't recall having anything made of that fabric, but I have read that it seems to be quite damage resistant (pressure, falling, decaying), so I'm wondering right now.

fine print:

(just wondering and looking for factual enlightenment, no intention of buying (not my type of design), no intention of bashing or praising, just asking, no intention of enforcing a way of thinking or talking... I think it's the moderators' job to establish mind and tone control. But I'm glad this FPN wasn't founded in 1984... no need to be upset. thank you.)

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

Who's to judge what is "needless?" What is "needful?" So what if someone is unnecessarily, even egregiously harsh about one's opinion? It's still just an opinion, and that opinion and how it is stated say more about the person than the thing being opined upon (or negatively criticized).

Me, I will always want the option of appearing to be an ass rather than being so constrained that my opinion is cookie-cut to conform to some standard of acceptability.

Love,

EtherJustSayNoToThoughtPoliceNautrix

P.S. Actually, ha ha ha, I did construct my opinion differently here than I would have if we were, say, at a bar, drinking, where I might have been less wordy when making my point.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I'm more interested in the material: I just wonder if anyone has practical, real life experience with that "micarta" stuff - looking at the pictures, it seems that it could be possible to pluck out strings or flakes of that stuff. Is that true? I don't recall having anything made of that fabric, but I have read that it seems to be quite damage resistant (pressure, falling, decaying), so I'm wondering right now.

fine print:

(just wondering and looking for factual enlightenment, no intention of buying (not my type of design), no intention of bashing or praising, just asking, no intention of enforcing a way of thinking or talking... I think it's the moderators' job to establish mind and tone control. But I'm glad this FPN wasn't founded in 1984... no need to be upset. thank you.)

No, what happens to Micarta is that the "threads" and other chaff wear off quite soon, and you're left with a strong resin impregnate. Micarta is strong. A pen made from it ought to withstand being run over by a car. The material is not new but it is time-tested and has proven itself in many many industrial applications. I grew up with the stuff.

TDC/

Great point!

I love the look of the Micarta. I love the fray'dness of it, the roughness of it, the unfinished look of it. The only obstacle is paying for a pen when my pen rotation is already full. I'm reluctant to make space for a pen that I might enjoy writing with when I have so many great pens. I know that sounds cray-cray in these parts, but there you go. Jules knows what I'm talkin' about. (Smiley face to jde.)

etherX in To Miasto

:ph34r:

I feel like people are being overly positive on the Micarta. I didn't order one because it was unique and different. I've read plenty of "opinions" by cheerleaders and fanatics. Now, I'm going to quit reading them because no one on here should make me feel bad about not making a pen purchase. But the positive comments are becoming problematic. I regret my decision, and you're free to have your opinion of it. However, please stop praising a pen you have never used or seen in person. If you like it, you like it. Leave it at that and move on.

Can't a pen be bright and shiny? Can't it look like it is brand new and fresh off the assembly line?

It seems to me that people come into threads looking to be disappointed by this pen and/or converted somehow from pleasure to disgust for this pen. But in the end they just compliment something they do not own or care to own. I urge you to move along and stop being so positive.

I urge you to move along and stop being so positive.

Now I want to share a puppy with you.

etherX in To Miasto

Uwe, thanks so much for posting such detailed photos. They answer several questions I had about this pen.

[The Micarta look really appeals to me. Pondering ordering one. Yes, converters can be cheap and flimsy, but I can replace it with a Schmidt for a few bucks if necessary. And guess what? I luvs me my big ol' shiny Pelikan piston fillers, too.]

Micarta = The new Montblanc, polarization-wise. :headsmack:

I'm not going to buy this pen now or in the near future because I saw a really ugly dog in need of a grooming this morning.

(Actually, I'm more like ether - right now there just isn't room for another pen, but late Spring is about culling the mini-herd anyway, so...)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I urge you to move along and stop being so positive.

Now I want to share a puppy with you.

Neat! I'll take the front half.