• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• picautomaton

• watch_art

• gks

Please, will someone please tell me what is the big deal about these pens? No offense intended but it resembles a corn husk, and its not exactly cheap.

That's a damn nice pen. Congrats! :puddle:

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

Please, will someone please tell me what is the big deal about these pens? No offense intended but it resembles a corn husk, and its not exactly cheap.

That's a damn nice pen. Congrats! :puddle:

And here we have it, ladies and gentlemen: parallel, but differing, universes.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I feel like people are being overly harsh on the Micarta. I ordered one because it was unique and different. While I have not received mine yet I've read plenty of "opinions" by naysayers and critics. Now, I'm going to quit reading them because no one on here should make me feel bad about a pen purchase. But the negative comments are becoming problematic. I don't regret my decision, and you're free to have your opinion of it. However, please stop bad mouthing a pen you have never used or seen in person. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Leave it at that and move on.

Must a pen always be bright and shiny? Must it always look like it is brand new and fresh off the assembly line? To me, it looks vintage without being vintage.

It's a pen. It writes. We enjoy writing, do we not? We're not here because fountain pens look like super models right?

In my limited experience, I've never seen such a polarizing pen. People either seem to love it, or hate it. If you hate it, go look at something else. There are plenty of pens out there to fit your needs and material lusts.

It seems to me that people come into threads looking to be wow'ed by this pen and/or converted somehow from displeasure to amazing understanding of this pen. But in the end they just belittle something they do not own or care to own. I urge you to move along and stop being so negative.

Pens are like people, if it weren't for variety we'd all be pretty boring right? So please stop discouraging pen makers from making something different by belittling it and potentially turning someone off on a pen. We should be pleased that a company goes out of its way to make something unique and different. Don't ruin it and take that away from us.

I like the design of the pen. The material is very interesting and the burned in look of the logo and number adds a rustic touch to the pen.

The pen certainly looks original and it reminds me of something well worn, but well worn in a good way.

The pen looks like a tank and able to take a lifetime of abuse. Thanks for the great pictures.

Also, they said there were 1000 made right? Are they all numbered from what anyone can tell? That's kind of neat if so.

I feel like people are being overly harsh on the Micarta. I ordered one because it was unique and different. While I have not received mine yet I've read plenty of "opinions" by naysayers and critics. Now, I'm going to quit reading them because no one on here should make me feel bad about a pen purchase. But the negative comments are becoming problematic. I don't regret my decision, and you're free to have your opinion of it. However, please stop bad mouthing a pen you have never used or seen in person. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Leave it at that and move on.

Must a pen always be bright and shiny? Must it always look like it is brand new and fresh off the assembly line? To me, it looks vintage without being vintage.

It's a pen. It writes. We enjoy writing, do we not? We're not here because fountain pens look like super models right?

In my limited experience, I've never seen such a polarizing pen. People either seem to love it, or hate it. If you hate it, go look at something else. There are plenty of pens out there to fit your needs and material lusts.

It seems to me that people come into threads looking to be wow'ed by this pen and/or converted somehow from displeasure to amazing understanding of this pen. But in the end they just belittle something they do not own or care to own. I urge you to move along and stop being so negative.

Pens are like people, if it weren't for variety we'd all be pretty boring right? So please stop discouraging pen makers from making something different by belittling it and potentially turning someone off on a pen. We should be pleased that a company goes out of its way to make something unique and different. Don't ruin it and take that away from us.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, honestly. I just want to know what it is about this pen that people find it attractive. I am trying not to judge this by appearances only. Also, I was unaware of what you must be describing as a legion of detractors.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, honestly. I just want to know what it is about this pen that people find it attractive. I am trying not to judge this by appearances only. Also, I was unaware of what you must be describing as a legion of detractors.

It seems like there are about 5 threads on the Micarta going right now, and each one is peppered with people that love it and hate it. It just seems to me that those that hate it really seem to want to show their displeasure. Pointing out how ugly it is, or how expensive it is. Or they even go as far as to knock TWSBI saying the price is too high for what it is and that TWSBI is no longer interesting to them now that they made a more expensive pen.

Just seems to me that people are being overly critical and a general elitist attitude is showing through. I like this community. I've learned a lot, but as an outsider in many respects it feels like a lot of bashing going on by the detractors. There may not be a legion of them, but there are enough of them being a bit harsh about it and it's starting to turn me off to this site.

Like I said, I haven't even received mine yet and I already feel like people are trying to make me feel as if it was a bad purchase.

I hate to tell you but you're basically saying everyone is entitled to their opinion except under certain circumstances that you will name. The poster you're berating did nothing more than give an opinion. And you don't need to own or have used a product to have an opinion on its looks, else we'd all have to buy every pen to see if it looked good or not. I happen to agree that this pen is WAY ugly. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it without your permission, thank you.

+1

I've been wanting to say something for a few days now.

If the price ain't right don't join the club.

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

I hate to tell you but you're basically saying everyone is entitled to their opinion except under certain circumstances that you will name. The poster you're berating did nothing more than give an opinion. And you don't need to own or have used a product to have an opinion on its looks, else we'd all have to buy every pen to see if it looked good or not. I happen to agree that this pen is WAY ugly. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it without your permission, thank you.

Ouch.

You're giving me buyers remorse and I've yet to receive mine.

Edited by picautomaton

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

I've endured yeeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrrsssss of Rotring Core bashing. It regularly appears near the top of "ugliest pen" lists. Along with the Pelikan Ductus - another one of my favorites and also a frequent flier on "ugliest pen" lists. It has never occurred to me that my feelings should be hurt. It's my opinion, and everyone else has theirs. It can't be "wrong". It's certainly not fair to ask everyone to be unfailingly positive or to shut up, so to speak.

This new pen is fascinating. It's exciting to see a pen made from such a different material. Doesn't mean I want one.

Corn husks, indeed! Or maybe hollowed out cigar. It does bring to mind a pen that maybe The Professor whittled out of a coconut in order to write a letter home from Gilligan's Island. My husband's guess is a bamboo pen, but careful or your panda may eat it.

I never care if someone doesn't get my aesthetic, particularly people coming through the Internet (all respect to FPN pals near and far). So what? People are puzzled about the Micarta? That in no way affects how much it appeals to me. I like what I like, regardless of what others think about what I like.

With each review and more photos, I'm getting closer to overcoming my weird reluctance to order one. (It's just... am I going to use it, when I have all these Nakayas? I love my Nakayas.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Hello Uwe, Thanks for the real life pictures of the Micarta.

I am considering the Micarta, but the following picture caught my attention:

http://www.vorg.com/watches/TWSBI%20Micarta%206%20-%20Uwe%20W.jpg

I am concerned if the threads will fray further to the point of just stripping, can anyone who has the pen and knows about threads pls comment.

Thanks!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

am this close to ordering one, but am a bit worried about the threads as well. my wife is an art restorer so she could probably do something to stabilize the fraying in those threads--but i don't even want to get to that point. will probably still end up getting one (broad, with clip). it will be different from all of my other pens.

Check out my blog and my pens

For me, it's not the looks (I do find it ugly, but my dog is ugly too and I love her...) or the price, which I think is reasonable. It's that damned converter...it looks like the cheapest piece of (bleep) I've ever had from a $5 Chinese POS pen. I can't bring myself to drop a C-note on a pen with a converter, period, much less one that looks so, as my kids would say, "janky." Especially considering what interested me in the 530 and 540 was the fantastic piston filler.

I have, perhaps, an irrational bias against converters. I own that, but that's why I won't be buying one of these. But I'll probably buy five of the Vac 700's, so that'll make up for it. :notworthy1:

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

If I understand the way it works here, you are only allowed to dictate Fields of Pretty Flowers posts and NO Barking Porch Dog posts when they award you your Moderator/Admin propeller beanie cap.

;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL-who has only been awarded the pointy hat and the stool in the corner

This pen is fascinating to me. While admittedly I haven't been in the fountain pen ranks for long, I haven't seen any pen that has gotten such polarizing views as this one. Seems like the people who are fond of the design REALLY love the design. And those that don't like it, REALLY hate the design.

I do think that the criticism that this pen is too expensive for what it is and that TWSBI has lost its way is kind of unfair though. There aren't many micarta pens out there. Sailor made a micarta pen which cost much, much more... and also used a converter. It's also my understanding that this material is pretty hard to work with (at least with pens), which would also explain why there hasn't been many attempts at micarta pens.

I happen to think it looks great; its design is somewhat reminiscent of Asian calligraphy brushes. It's not pretty and shiny... but I think that's the point. Maybe it's the "hipster" of the fountain pen world. ;) At any rate, I think this pen would pair really nicely with a brown leather journal. :cloud9:

Edited by danahn17

[url="http://i-think-ink.tumblr.com/"]thINK[/url]: my pen & paper blog :)