The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Classic Pens Sheaffer Cp 4 Richmond

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,047 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 19:28

In my review of the Sheaffer Classic Pens CP4 Washington I promised I would next look at the Classic Pens CP4 Richmond edition, but first, as usual, I'd like to wander off into a few more reminiscences.

I was lucky enough to have been born and grow up before the days of Interstate Highways and if you wanted to go west then you went around the mountains to the south in Georgia or through the Cumberland Gap on US Route 40 in my day, following the same route that was once the National Road (or Pike) which was the very first major improved Federal Highway in the US. Back then it was the connection between the Ohio river, the Potomac River and connecting to the Port of Baltimore and the rail hubs there.

The mountain ranges beginning only about 100 miles or less in from the Atlantic Ocean were a major barrier, old old stumps of what had once been a mighty range worn down over time to a series of sinuous ridges that were like a series of snakes crawling up the Eastern Coast from Georgia to Maine.

The ones that relate to this story are the Catoctins (a small range that shelters two small towns of note; Gettysburg and Emmitsburg), the Alleghenies and the Shenandoah range.

The area covered by these two pens sits on a plain with the Atlantic ocean to the east and the barrier of those mountains to the west. Whoever could control access to the ocean and the few passages through the gaps in the mountains would win the war.

While the Washington pen was designed with those straight linear lines defining borders and containing the deep "Vague" pattern guilloche symbolizing the technological and industrial north, the Richmond pen is more gentle, with long running valleys held between serpentine high points that run the length of the pen much as the south depended on agriculture and was hemmed in by the barriers of mountains and sea.

But enough of my prattling, where are the pictures?

The Sheaffer Classic Pens CP4 Washington and Richmond come in a bright outer box with a line drawing map of the area against a red, white and blue abstract background.

Posted Image

Inside you find a certificate for the individual pen, a brochure with some of the history of the US Civil War and a faux leather box, Blue for the Washington pen and Grey for the Richmond.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Inside is a simple pen tray and the pen and another line drawing of the area in the lid of the box.

Posted Image

The Richmond pen exhibits the same characteristics as the Washington, it just plain feels perfect in hand and the deep guilloche circular engraving warms quickly and is soft to the touch. These pens seem a perfect combination of tactile feedback and constantly change appearance as they sparkle in the light. They really call out to be used.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The nib on my Richmond is a rounded broad nib, moderately wet and a joy to use.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally, here is a view of the two pens side by side where you can see some of the play that light causes in how the patterns appear. The Washington is on the right, the Richmond on the left, and look at the variation in patterning as light reflects on different parts of the pens.

Posted Image

If you ever get a chance to see one of these in person, to hold it in your hand, be sure to jump at the opportunity.

Edited by jar, 06 April 2012 - 15:17.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

#2 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:58

Your reviews of these two pen are enhanced by both family, and Civil War, history.

A very handsome pair,

gary

#3 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• 1,532 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 15:53

Beautiful pens. I love the pattern that looks like waves (to me), and I know that Sheaffer makes a great pen. Love the inlaid nibs :)
Tamara

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2012 - 21:26

very cool and nice pens :thumbup: congrats
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#5 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 26,047 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 00:24

Beautiful pens. I love the pattern that looks like waves (to me), and I know that Sheaffer makes a great pen. Love the inlaid nibs :)

Glad you like them. Is "waves" the design on the bottom in this picture?

If so, that's the Richmond.

Posted Image

I'll try to get a closeup detail of the actual engraving on each tomorrow,

My Website

#6 Scribblesoften

Scribblesoften

Retrogrouch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 00:50

Lovely, lovely pens. :notworthy1:

#7 BillLS

BillLS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:41

The basic engraving pattern on the Washington is the same as the Richmond. The difference is that the Washington has the diamond grid engraved over the basic pattern as the last step of the engraving process. At, that's what Andy Lambrou told me as he handed me my new Richmond at the 2009 Atlanta Pen Show. The idea was that the more complex design of the Washington reflected the busier, more industrial life style of the North and the more flowing design of the Richmond reflected the more pastoral life style of the South. That the basic pattern was the same on both pens would reflect the underlying unity of the American people.

Bill Sexauer
PCA+++Logo+small.jpgBlk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpgCP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

#8 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 26,047 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:11

The basic engraving pattern on the Washington is the same as the Richmond. The difference is that the Washington has the diamond grid engraved over the basic pattern as the last step of the engraving process. At, that's what Andy Lambrou told me as he handed me my new Richmond at the 2009 Atlanta Pen Show. The idea was that the more complex design of the Washington reflected the busier, more industrial life style of the North and the more flowing design of the Richmond reflected the more pastoral life style of the South. That the basic pattern was the same on both pens would reflect the underlying unity of the American people.

You can see that in this picture of my Washington. The way the light played with this shot you can see the underlying pattern on the body and the straight line grid shows on the cap.

Posted Image

My Website

#9 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 26,047 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 16:03

And here is another shot of the two, side by side. Richmond is at the top in this shot.

Posted Image

My Website

#10 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 20:10

nice review and pics!
thanks!