Camlin Royal Blue

comfortableshoes

I picked up a 10 ml sample of Camlin Royal Blue from Kevin at FountainPenRevolution.com along with a few other samples. I have it inked in my Airmail 69T and Lamy Joy 1.5 Italic. PLease excuse my horrible horrible handwriting.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7104/7046424441_0ff11db271.jpg

Camlin Royal Blue by lessherger, on Flickr

Camlin Royal Blue is as standard a blue shade as you can get. When I think of fountain pen ink cartridges this is what I remember the blue to look like. There is nothing particularly eye catching about this color, you might call it boring. You could also say it’s a perfect fit for a business environment where you can’t get away, with say, Diamine Chocolate Brown or something more... interesting. No one is going to compliment this ink color, but no one will say it’s unprofessional either. You could write pages and pages of text without this ink burning a hole in your retina, it’s not bright but has a nice contrast on white paper.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7185/6900329472_d8a54b3d7d.jpg

On Staples 20# recycled copy paper this ink performs well, with little feathering or bleed through. Lubrication is average, not as good as Diamine or Noodler’s but better than my J. Herbin Bleu Nuit. It does have the same ink odor as my Camlin ink, which I adore but if you are sensitive to smells this might not be a good ink for you. It shows little shading in the fine nib of the Airmail but some with the Lamy Joy.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7102/6900328404_7bd8c6f271.jpg

This ink seems to be water resistant. I did not get the permanent version of this ink, but the standard. With a dribble of a Starbuck’s Americano left on for about 20 to 30 seconds it left a legible line. I also put some plain water drops on the page and the ink also left a strong clear legible line. I did not soak the page because that’s unlikely at my desk. The worst I’ve done is tip over a cup of lukewarm tea, or sit my perspiring water bottle on a page. It makes me wonder if hot or cold liquid makes a difference... I may have to test that out with some inks.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7090/7046424573_0c06ef3d21.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7122/6900327308_618c378464.jpg

Overall it’s a good inexpensive blue ink for a workplace that is less tolerant of more interesting colors. One coworker suggested that my Diamine Chocolat Brown reminded him of excrement. Humph. If I have a pen inked with it, I make sure all important papers that go to him are written in Diamine Chocolat. :P I doubt he'll ever tell me my ink looks like poop again.

Seriously, have you checked Etsy.com yet?

Check out my blog ComfortableShoesStudio.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cvk

• comfortableshoes

• Uncle Red

• amberleadavis

THANK YOU

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you! I quite like that tone of blue...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

camel royal blue is a well known ink in india and has a pleasant colour which is neither too saturated or too light, almost the perfect "royal blue." it is used widely among fp users and has good flow properties. other blue colours are royal blue from bril, washable royal blue and sapphire blue from chelpark. bril is a little more saturated than camel and chelpark has a little more lubrication.

camel inks are usually trouble free inks and very safe for all fps.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

very interesting thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 year later...
Can someone please tell me if it fades or not ... i am currently using it but i am a bit nervous as i think it might fade.... will it stay for at least 5 years or so?

--

Raahil

• 2 years later...

Can someone please tell me if it fades or not ... i am currently using it but i am a bit nervous as i think it might fade.... will it stay for at least 5 years or so?
--
Raahil

Alright...really, really late reply, but "der aaye durust aaye".

No, the ink NEVER fades. Not for me. I have used these inks starting from 4th grade in India (around 1982-83) and I have notebooks all over written with this ink (was there every any other ink in India? :) ) Till today, as on 2017, I have the notebooks. The papers are torn. Some are yellowing. But the ink STILL holds! And this is after coming to the notebooks after your recess and sweating at the elbows, if you know what I mean. :)

So go ahead. No issues with this one at all.

Cheers!

I see dead fountain pens!

No, the ink NEVER fades. Not for me. I have used these inks starting from 4th grade in India (around 1982-83) and I have notebooks all over written with this ink (was there every any other ink in India? :) ) Till today, as on 2017, I have the notebooks. The papers are torn. Some are yellowing. But the ink STILL holds! And this is after coming to the notebooks after your recess and sweating at the elbows, if you know what I mean. :)

Cheers!

Hello!

+1 for the qualities of Camlin & Bril inks.

Eventhough I use other blue inks, these two inks are my go to inks, no problem royal blue inks they are.

Best,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

• 2 years later...

Cheers!

Hello!

+1 for the qualities of Camlin & Bril inks.

Eventhough I use other blue inks, these two inks are my go to inks, no problem royal blue inks they are.

Best,

Arvind.

What would you say about the ink's water resistance?

• 1 year later...

I would second the comment. The ink does not fade as far as i could see. I have diaries from 6 to 10 years ago and they are as good as ones from last week. Camel is so good and economical that i never felt the need to look at any other ink. I hope it gets exposed to people outside India too. It is an amazing ink.

• 1 month later...

What would you say about the ink's water resistance?

Designed to have very low water resistance. It can withstand a few drops of water and still be legible but if you soak the paper under a tap, the ink will be washed away.

I would second the comment. The ink does not fade as far as i could see. I have diaries from 6 to 10 years ago and they are as good as ones from last week. Camel is so good and economical that i never felt the need to look at any other ink. I hope it gets exposed to people outside India too. It is an amazing ink.

I also second that, the ink never fades my notebooks of early schools are still fine..papers not so much. They are very economical here too.

Low water resistance though small drips might be OK but any splash is no go.

@comfortableshoes Great view on ink, thanks a bunch for that.

The colour is pretty similar to the old Parker Quink washable blue - you would be hard pressed into telling the difference.

Performance is the same as Quink.

It is also a lot cheaper than Quink!