The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Classic Pens Sheaffer Cp 4 Washington

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,047 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2012 - 18:33

We've been looking at some of the variations of Sheaffer's Legacy series Sterling Silver pens. All began life as an homage to the PFMs made back between 1959 and 1968, a simple, elegant and understated design that while not that big a success when introduced has certainly withstood the test of time.

The Legacy series so far consists of three versions, the first Legacy that is a touchdown/cartridge pen with the end cap for the touchdown mechanism tapering from a circle to a square, the Legacy 2 that is very similar but with the end cap round and the Legacy Heritage where they abandoned the touchdown mechanism for a cartridge/converter filler.

The simplest of the many versions is the plain Sterling Silver with Gold trim...

Posted Image

... but the first version that Sheaffer offered was an interrupted Barleycorn in the Legacy and seen here in the Legacy Heritage version.

Posted Image

We also looked at the first of the two Legacy Heritage Victorian pattern pens.

Posted Image

But now we must wander back into the past and I hope that you will sit by the fire with me as I reminisce about my life and growing up.

My grandparents on both sides were part of the generation born shortly after the US Civil War and they in turn grew up with that war and the effects of that war as very, very real and immediate. One set of grandparents were from Baltimore, the other from Petersburg. Maryland, except for some of the western parts, was very much a Southern State and was prevented by occupation from seceding. In 1861 Federal troops were rushed to Washington, DC to defend the capitol and many came down by rail through Baltimore. There were riots and crowds opposing the troops and four soldiers and a dozen civilians were killed.

Growing up in Baltimore meant singing the Maryland State song each morning:

The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland! my Maryland!
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland! my Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!

The "despot" mentioned was of course Abraham Lincoln and the gore referred to the Baltimore riots of 1861.

So how does all of this relate to the Sheaffer Legacy pens?

Two of my favorites are the Classic Pen CP4 Washington and Richmond designs created in 1997. First, let's look at the Washington pen and we will wander south to Richmond and some more memories in the next review.

As mentioned above, the Washington pen is based on the plain sterling silver Legacy, designed by Andreas Lambrou and Keith G. Brown under their Classic Pens company. The engraving was done by the French firm Murelli R S.A.R.L. on a machine first built in 1928 that was returned from sitting in the companies museum to complete these designs.

Initially a run of 1865 (signifying the year the US Civil War ended) was planned but according to email from Mr. Lambrou at the time the design was finalized Bic purchased Sheaffer and the total number to be produced was reduced to only 500 of each design. In fact the plain finish Legacy shown above was one of the remaining pens that had been made (about 200 I've been told).

The guilloche design on the Washington pen is a very deep "Vague" pattern crossed by straight angular lines to form diamonds.

Posted Image

The cap band is silver with the Classic Pens logo, and the edition number laser etched into the surface.

Posted Image

Interestingly, the edition number is still shown as "xxx/1865" even though only 500 sets were made.

Posted Image

This particular pen has a broad just slightly Left Foot oblique nib.

Posted Image

The tactile feel of the pen though is really unique and feels far different in hand than the plain Sterling Silver or the Barleycorn, the guilloche far more pronounced yet softer than the Barleycorn. It also really changes appearance with light and angle as you can see in the next two pictures.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This is definitely a pen that is meant to be used and of all my special or limited edition pens, one that just screams "Use me every day".

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

#2 Fountainpenlover

Fountainpenlover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2012 - 18:42

Simply fantastic pen! And, as always, a great interesting review!

#3 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2012 - 18:43

Beautiful, Thanks for sharing!
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#4 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2012 - 20:23

Wow, that's a stunner. What a great pattern along with a stub, you couldn't ask for more. :)
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

#5 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 26,047 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2012 - 20:56

Glad you folk enjoy the reviews and hope I don't bore folk to death.

Growing up, as I was lucky enough to, in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania there is so much US history within 150 miles of Washington, DC; so these two pens are particularly significant for me.

My Website

#6 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2012 - 21:14

Not boring by any means. Lovely pen and write up. Keep'em coming.

#7 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 00:19

Never a boring review. And such beautiful photos... wonderful.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#8 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 00:41

Since fountain pens appeal as much to my love of history as to my love of writing, history with a pen review is just perfect. Thank you :)
Tamara

#9 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 26,047 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:01

Never a boring review. And such beautiful photos... wonderful.

Thanks. Can we index this under Sheaffer Legacy and under Classic Pens CP4?

My Website

#10 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:13

:thumbup:

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#11 Gojira

Gojira

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:22

A great review as usual, Jar. I must say your line of reviews on sterling silver pens are killing me! To quote that song..."I wanna be a billionaire...so freaking bad..."

It's never boring to learn about another person's history. I wish I had asked more about my late maternal grandparents' childhood and early adult years when they were still around. They fled China as children to South East Asia, lived through the Japanese occupation in WW2, experienced the birthing pains of Malaysia, then endured the dark days of the Emergency, a civil war of sorts between the Communist Party and government. What a life.

#12 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 26,047 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:16

A great review as usual, Jar. I must say your line of reviews on sterling silver pens are killing me! To quote that song..."I wanna be a billionaire...so freaking bad..."

It's never boring to learn about another person's history. I wish I had asked more about my late maternal grandparents' childhood and early adult years when they were still around. They fled China as children to South East Asia, lived through the Japanese occupation in WW2, experienced the birthing pains of Malaysia, then endured the dark days of the Emergency, a civil war of sorts between the Communist Party and government. What a life.

Well, I've found that you don't have to be a billionaire, just patient, keep your eyes open and live long. :thumbup:

My Website

#13 reprieve

reprieve

tightrope walker

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:49

Lovely pen. I never could decide if I liked the Washington or the Richmond better. They are both beautiful! I can't wait to see your Richmond review. I hope there will be comparison photos.

#14 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:27

Jar, your stories have been interesting, not boring at all. I enjoy your writing. And there's no danger I'll get bored of the silver pens either! I've actually bought 2 pens after reading your reviews and have been very happy with both. You get full credit for selling me on the Montegrappa 80th Anniversary, and while the plain silver Sheaffer Legacy had been on my wishlist for awhile your review promoted to the top of the list.

Both the CP4 pens are on my wishlist, though not at the top (as I already have the similar silver Legacy), so price and finances conspire to dictate it will be some time before I acquire them.

#15 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:14

really touching, somehow i love these stories on fpn more than what i read about pens.

rgds.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#16 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:03

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#17 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:01

Lovely pen! Very jealous.

#18 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,028 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2012 - 21:29

nice pen jar :thumbup: thanks for the review
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#19 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 26,047 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 16:00

Here is a side by side shot of the two patterns, Richmond is above Washington though. :bunny01:

Posted Image

My Website

Sponsored Content

|