Pilot Fa Nib

nicholasyeo

Hello there!

I've read a few articles and reviews of the Pilot/Namiki Falcon and later, the 742 and 743 models.

I have heard of the bad feed, the railroading and possible remedies to the problem. However, I am

now having another problem - skipping with my Heritage 912. The pen has a #10 FA nib.

The pen wrote wonderfully for the first time out of the box. I was quite pleasantly surprised, given

the number of negative comments about the feed for FA nibs in reviews here and elsewhere...

After refilling the pen for the second time, I experienced serious skipping problems. And notice

I say "skipping", because the ink doesn't flow out and then stop. Sometimes it does, and other

times, flow just halts. If I slowly "coax the ink out by writing lightly, it works again...

I have looked at the slit - it does not seem sprung to me, because the spacing seems pretty even.

I know good nib slits are supposed to taper toward the front, but I probably over-flexed it?

Possible causes

- Bad feed

- Nib sprung

- Ink choice (Iroshizuku Aji-sai, then Sailor Yama-dori)

Possible solutions

- Dipping the pen before writing.

- Changing inks.

- Slowly coaxing the ink out by writing for a while with a light touch.

- Saturating the feed by pressing on the converter.

I am very reluctant to modify my feed, for fear that there is too much uncontrolled ink flow and that

I cannot write finely again. It is a real pity though, because I love the feel of this pen so much more

than the other Pilot nibs that I have got for it's nice, light touch. :crybaby:

I would be grateful if someone has a similar experience and can share how they remedied the problem

or fixed it, without making the pen too wet or modifying it too much. Or should I just have the pen sent

to a nibmeister? I have another pen - my Pro Gear with Mike Masuyama... Perhaps I should send it?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nicholasyeo

• hari317

• CAPT LOVE

• Scribble Monboddo

The tips should be touching at the very ends on this nib, otherwise the capillary action will be broken. Just check this with the pen dry and clean.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The tips should be touching at the very ends on this nib, otherwise the capillary action will be broken. Just check this with the pen dry and clean.

Hello Hari, it is you again! Anyway, I just realised that the tips are NOT TOUCHING!

Now I am scared... What am I to do? I probably have to send this to fix... :headsmack:

Hello Hari, it is you again! Anyway, I just realised that the tips are NOT TOUCHING!

Now I am scared... What am I to do? I probably have to send this to fix... :headsmack:

Hi Nicolas, :)

Any update on the 912 FA would be greatly appreciated, as I personally hold off buying this very nib from negative reviews.

Thanks,

Bick

Hi Bick, thanks for your reply again. Since nobody has given their opinion in this post for lack of interest,

I shall do so - I have fixed my FA nib. What I did was this - given the over-flexed condition it was in, I

used my fingers and ripped the nib and feed out of the pen body. Then, I took the tines and crossed them

in order to close the gap between the tines. Now, it has a perfect taper to the front, like any good quality

nib. So, you can do this with your pen in case you want to fix over-flexed nibs. Of course, nibs that are

too sprung in the upward direction from too much pressure are ruined...

Another note is this - the FA relies on the tension between the two tines in order to flex. By exerting

pressure on the tines, they spread, resulting in line variation - the FA is not made for any fancy style of

writing in a western way, it was made for Kanji. If your writing is not too dramatic, this might be the

right nib for you! If you realise that your pen starts writing broadly, that means it has been over-flexed

or as I like to call it, "pre-flexed". What you want is for it to flex when you exert pressure, not have it

in that state perpetually. That calls for a fix! :headsmack:

Now that I have had it back to normal, I am able to safely say that I enjoy it as much as I did when I first got

it. The nib is much softer in feel and very responsive to touch, so it is a breath of fresh air compared to

the other Pilot nibs that I have, which are all rock hard. The nib lays down a nice wet line with the soft-

est touch and can be a perfect daily writer. When not flexed, it writes from a F to MF depending on if

you are comparing it to a western or asian style... :thumbup: Exactly what I needed.

Do not hold back from buying a Custom 742 or a Custom 743 - these are lovely pens. Mine is the Heritage

912, which is another model they only sell in Japan. It has a black body, and the FA nib was made for it,

not transplanted. I prefer silver trims, so I got this instead - I believe that Engeika sometimes has these

for sale, and other sellers on eBay like Kendo Karate also have it for sale.

I hope that helps anyone who needs an opinion on the FA nib! The bad reviews are regarding the feed -

people expect too much from a pen made for Kanji. Just because it flexes, they demand that it write

dramatic strokes from very fine to very broad. If you need that, I bet a nibmeister can make the tweak

and adjustment for you. Most importantly, enjoy the pen, but DO NOT OVERDO THE FLEXING!! :thumbup:

I have fixed my FA nib.

Good to hear. Congrats!

Hi again Hari, thanks for your idea - it got me thinking - if my nib is supposed to taper to the front,

and the tines are supposed to touch each other there, I shall make it happen!! Now I know what to do

in case the tines spread and skipping happens again...

Edited by nicholasyeo

Hi Bick, thanks for your reply again. Since nobody has given their opinion in this post for lack of interest,

I shall do so - I have fixed my FA nib. What I did was this - given the over-flexed condition it was in, I

used my fingers and ripped the nib and feed out of the pen body. Then, I took the tines and crossed them

in order to close the gap between the tines. Now, it has a perfect taper to the front, like any good quality

nib. So, you can do this with your pen in case you want to fix over-flexed nibs. Of course, nibs that are

Another note is this - the FA relies on the tension between the two tines in order to flex. By exerting

pressure on the tines, they spread, resulting in line variation - the FA is not made for any fancy style of

writing in a western way, it was made for Kanji. If your writing is not too dramatic, this might be the

right nib for you! If you realise that your pen starts writing broadly, that means it has been over-flexed

or as I like to call it, "pre-flexed". What you want is for it to flex when you exert pressure, not have it

Now that I have had it back to normal, I am able to safely say that I enjoy it as much as I did when I first got

it. The nib is much softer in feel and very responsive to touch, so it is a breath of fresh air compared to

the other Pilot nibs that I have, which are all rock hard. The nib lays down a nice wet line with the soft-

est touch and can be a perfect daily writer. When not flexed, it writes from a F to MF depending on if

you are comparing it to a western or asian style... :thumbup: Exactly what I needed.

Do not hold back from buying a Custom 742 or a Custom 743 - these are lovely pens. Mine is the Heritage

912, which is another model they only sell in Japan. It has a black body, and the FA nib was made for it,

not transplanted. I prefer silver trims, so I got this instead - I believe that Engeika sometimes has these

I hope that helps anyone who needs an opinion on the FA nib! The bad reviews are regarding the feed -

people expect too much from a pen made for Kanji. Just because it flexes, they demand that it write

dramatic strokes from very fine to very broad. If you need that, I bet a nibmeister can make the tweak

and adjustment for you. Most importantly, enjoy the pen, but DO NOT OVERDO THE FLEXING!! :thumbup:

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for your concise first hand exerience review. Now I totally understand what to exect of the pen(and FA nib).

I am never holding back from buying these wonderful pens even for a second. And my two new Pilots(a CH912 and a CH91) are expected to arrive within two weeks. They will however, comes with a "safer" nib choice of SFM, to better suit my daily writing. As you are, I also share the love of Black pen with silver trim. :wub:

My girlfriend is planing a visit to Japan around the end of May-June, I guess my second CH912 with FA nib (along with a Platinum President)could wait a little. :D

Appreciate your great help.

• 8 months later...

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for your concise first hand exerience review. Now I totally understand what to exect of the pen(and FA nib).

I am never holding back from buying these wonderful pens even for a second. And my two new Pilots(a CH912 and a CH91) are expected to arrive within two weeks. They will however, comes with a "safer" nib choice of SFM, to better suit my daily writing. As you are, I also share the love of Black pen with silver trim. :wub:

My girlfriend is planing a visit to Japan around the end of May-June, I guess my second CH912 with FA nib (along with a Platinum President)could wait a little. :D

Appreciate your great help.

Hi CAPT LOVE,

I do hope that you have gotten your Heritage 912 / Heritage 91 and like them!

I personally love Japanese pens most compared to pens from elsewhere. I find

they are the most reliable. I think SFM will be nice, though I am afraid my

small handwriting is not appropriate for such a nib.

Nicholas

• 2 years later...

Hello Nicholas!!

I'm just looking to purchase a Custom 912 in the FA nib, but because of all of the negative reviews, I've rethought my decision. Would you say the FA nib is suitable for everyday writing, given that I have medium sized handwriting? I'm considering just purchasing a Custom 91 with a soft fine or soft medium nib, and if the FA is finicky, I'm not sure I want to pay ~$160 for that nib.

Thanks,

CJ

The FA nib is fun to play around with, but I found, for me at least, that it is not a good daily writer. The tines tend to flex a tad with normal writing which throws off my writing, when the tines flex even a little it dumps out too much ink. It's a very wet writer and having small handwriting it makes it difficult for me to write normally.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had some mixed experiences with FA nibs so far, but on the whole I'm a fan. My first seemed the real deal at first (see here), but succumbed to stress less than a year later (as you can see here). But I am impressed by the Heritage 912 with a size 10 nib so far, and I am now bedding-in a size 15 FA in a Custom 743, which is a different beast altogether - 'review to follow when I have got used to that one!

• 2 weeks later...

My size 10 FA nib has now been repaired magnificently by Goldnibs in Spain - I'll always have to use it carefully I think, but it is in better shape as a writing tip than it was when new. Pilot don't come out of this too well, but Goldnibs certainly get my recommendation! You can see some scribbles with the new nib in my hand, plus the goldsmith's test jottings, here.