Nakaya Blue Dragon

sadiemagic

I'm in a slight state of shock.

I had been postponing doing something unpleasant in my life that really needed to get started. I decided that if I was able to get it underway, no matter how much I'd been dreading it, I'd reward myself with a Nakaya pen, my first. maybe a Decapod in the reddish red....

How I managed to end up ordering the Blue Dragon portable cigar, I'm still not sure. I'd been eyeing it on John Mottishaw's website for quite some time. It was starting to become an obsession. But I was going to get a decapod, much less expensive, to see if I liked the pens.

But when it came to actually order the decapod, I just couldn't do it...I wanted the blue dragon, or even the red one, and nothing else would do.

So a new Blue Dragon, with a rhodium plated double broad nib ground to a stub will be on its way to me Monday morning...Talk about jumping into the deep end of the pool. I've never spent so much money on a pen.

Please tell me I won't be sorry...I don't think this is buyer's remorse but I'm a little dazed by my impetuous purchase!

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• sadiemagic

• ravantra

• TDL

I'm not at all sure that it's an impetuous purchase when you've been looking at them for a long time. During that time, you've been doing cost/affordability calculations in the back of your head. It's just the front of your head that's surprised. ;)

Congratulations on getting started on your tough project. Here's hoping it's something that you can finish soon so that you can get on with enjoying your new pen.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

You won't be sorry.

And you're not mad, either.

You will love it.

And if you don't, you can return it immediately, right?

But you won't be sorry.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

If this is your first Nakaya, then prepare to be absolutely astonished--and I'm not kidding--nor am I exaggerating. I had ordered the Ascending Dragon, but was not pleased with the color (especially as it had been described by the good folks at nibs.com). So I decided to exchange it for the Blue Dragon--and man oh man, was I shocked by the beauty and subtlety of this pen. And then when I had my first experience of writing with it, I knew I was completely satisfied. And that was Nakaya #5 for me. Wish I could be there to see your face when you get this pen and write your first words with it!

That you bought the pen you really wanted is a great thing. Glad you didn't compromise that desire.

happyberet.gif

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Congratulations! You probably actually saved some money by not buying 3 or 4 other pens before ending up with the blue dragon anyway! :thumbup:

You won't be sorry.

And you're not mad, either.

You will love it.

And if you don't, you can return it immediately, right?

But you won't be sorry.

You're right, certainly I could return it. Somehow I doubt that'll happen! :-).

That you bought the pen you really wanted is a great thing. Glad you didn't compromise that desire.

happyberet.gif

It really was my heart's desire - no offense to any Decapod fans out there, I had been convinced for some time I wanted the decapod but when I started talking with Angela at CFP I just couldn't bring myself to say I wanted the decapod and instead asked about the pre-owned ascending dragon on their site ( the reddish red). It was already sold, just not marked as such on the website.

So I then asked about the blue one...and oh boy, they had one portable and one long. The portable had a more visible dragon and it is lined up perfectly with the nib, so the dragon will be visible as I hold it. On the long, the dragon was more subdued and not lined up with the nib but off to one side. Since I was a little concerned about the size of the long, it seemed the portable was the better choice.

Now to wait patiently until it gets here Thursday!

Congrats on your Nakaya. We are only on this rock for such a short time, it makes me happy to see someone pursue their desires. Enjoy, I doubt you will be disappointed. :happyberet:

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

happyberet.gif

Perfectly said, Jules.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Congratulations on your gorgeous pen. Enjoy your life and live it to the fullest. Do it for yourself and for the good of those around you. Things will turn out for the best.

Edited by Pemako

Congratulations! You probably actually saved some money by not buying 3 or 4 other pens before ending up with the blue dragon anyway! :thumbup:

+1 for the above advice...wish I had heard that earlier in my (pen-buying) life.

Congrats on the Nakaya - please send pictures, so I can drool over my aged laptop, necessitating its replacement. ;)

I have the Blue Dragon Portable Cigar with a Ruthenium plated nib, turned Cursive Italic by John Mottishaw. I waited 5 months for it be crafted and delivered. You will certainly adore the Blue Dragon. It is a wonderful pen. I am just waiting to get mine out of German Customs after sending it back to John as the converter became stuck. have many, very many hours writing with the new dragon, or even just looking at it and polishing it. :)

You have just stopped me buying it a second time as I had my eye on it at Nibs.com as well. That's how great the pen is. :thumbup:

Edited by TDL

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

Congratulations! and a +1 for the above sentiment. Most of us were just too chicken to go straight for the maki-e models that first caught our eye, so began timidly with Kuro, Aka-tamenuri, or a solid color. Those first pens have already been sold on from quite a few Nakaya collections. I think that the $1K mark is a very real psychological barrier for many of us (myself included). I have devoted a lot of time and thought to putting together an order for a custom Nakaya that would cost less than a thousand dollars, but still be distinctive and special (won't know if that worked out until sometime this summer).

Because of the limited number of Nakayas produced, it is silly not to buy the one you want when it is available. I am still regretting having let the unpolished shu decapod that appeared in the pre-owned listings 4 days after I'd placed my custom order slip past. (Two Nakayas in one week seemed a little excessive...) CFP had the pen you wanted, so you bought it. That is how it should be. I wish you many happy hours of writing with it.

Suzanne

The Decapod is lovely, but the Dragon is lovelier. Congratulations on getting the pen you really wanted! And that nib is going to be the best nib you've ever written with! I have a BB stub from John on my Neo Standard; every time I write with that pen, the clouds part, glowing angels descend, and there is much singing and harp-plucking.

Oh yum! I want to see a writing sample as I've been drooling over the Blue Dragon myself, but wondering if I'd do better with a music nib. :hmm1:

Oh yum! I want to see a writing sample as I've been drooling over the Blue Dragon myself, but wondering if I'd do better with a music nib. :hmm1:

Definitely the music nib for you.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

1333238396[/url]' post='2299070']

I have a piccolo with a music nib. My favorite nib of all the pens I own. thumbup.gif

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I think you'd be quite happy with a BB stub from John M., but you would love the music nib--which is even wider and wetter. The music nib has a bit less line variation than the ground stub, but it's enough to be noticeable and to keep the loops of the letters open. The unground, stock BB nib is really interesting. It's kind of like a Sailor zoom nib in that it gets wider or thinner depending on the nib's angle to the paper; it reminds me of yielding a brush.

I only have the music nib with me at the moment, but I will try to put up a writing sample comparing Nakaya's stock B, stock BB, B stub, BB stub, and music nibs next week.

PS: Which pen(s) are you considering? Only the Blue Dragon? Or trying to decide between that and something else? Come over to the Nakaya side... come over to the Nakaya side...

Edited by reprieve