What Prompted Your Interest In Fountain Pens?

inkwell84

I came to fountain pens very recently through my interest in mechanical watches. I was browsing a forum, and someone had posted a picture of a watch with a Pilot MYU-701. It was dumbstruck by how beautiful it was, and immediately went to ebay looking for one (I ended up with a M90 and a Murex). Since then, there has been no stopping me. As soon as I saw the cartridge that came with the M90, there was a huge sense of a memory from my early childhood putting a cartridge into a pen, so I imagine I used them at primary school. I've always been fascinated by pens, but I was stuck buying interesting ballpoints...until about a month ago, I had no idea all the cool stuff was hidden away in the fountain pen section!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terminal

• USMCMom

• ebluegrass

• inkwell84

I've always enjoyed having and using well-made products and have justified the cost of doing so by taking proper care of them. Combine this with being a good student, I naturally gravitated towards nice pens (BP & RB).

The wide variety of color choices with bottled ink first prompted my interest in fountain pens. Later I began to also appreciate the smooth writing experience. As you can guess from my login name, the value I place on choosing any color I want means I use...noCartridges.

It was because of classic wet shaving. I know there are some here who instantly got that. For the rest, let me explain.

Several years ago, while looking for better sources on shaving gear, I rediscovered shaving with classic safety razors, traditional soaps, brushes, the whole nine yards. That involved hanging out on a couple of shaving forums, one of which had a fountain pen sub-forum.

At first, that sub-forum didn't much catch my interest. The prices for "a good beginner's pen" seemed much too high, and anyway, I assumed that fountain pens had simply been superseded by something better. Then again, many people assume that about classic safety razors (and straights) yet here I was getting great shaves with a single edged razor made before the First World War.

A bit over a year ago, I dipped my toe in the waters, and discovered that yes, this was another case where older methods (with some slight qualifications) were better. As with razors, I've found myself gravitating toward the vintage stuff, and buying more than I really needed. My biggest regret, though, is not the money I've spent, but that it took me so long to discover this.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I enjoy the aesthetic qualities for writing with a fountain pen. For me, a ball point always made my hand feel "scrunched" up and in a hurry. Life is so hectic. It is lovely to sit down, take pen in hand and allow time to simply flow. One has to actually be present with the fountain pen, not have their mind racing in a gadzillion different directions. Fountain pens were still being used in school when I was young so I had my first taste of the beauty of fountain pens in grade school, although I certainly did not have the appreciation for them that I do now.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

• 1 month later...

I was (and remain) a pencil enthusiast. And I listen to a lot of podcasts during the workday to fill the atmosphere of my office.

One day I noticed a podcast called The Pen Addict and added it to the mix figuring surely pen and pencil geeks must have some similar malfunction that makes us what we are.

I'd been under some bad assumptions about fountain pens ever since I destroyed some cheap dip pens learning calligraphy in grade school, but these guys on the podcast got me thinking it might be fun to give actual fountain pens a go. Plus, someone online had mentioned that the Blackwing 602 writing experience wasn't entirely unlike the fountain pen writing experience, which my brain couldn't stop trying to sort out.

Fortunately, I'm finding that FPs seem to be much easier on my arthritic hand and much easier tools for writing elegantly than most things I've tried. I wish I'd known about those two facets of the experience years ago!

Sydney

I came on a couple of now old pens, one a Parker 61 and Parker 65 that I had used extensively when in College in late 60's. I have recollections of writing reams with the 61 and I particularly liked this pen. I am having both restored but unfortunately am unable to locate an arrow to replace the original, which came off during my time using the pen. I would appreciate if anyone could advise me of where I might source a replacement. My quest to have my original pens restored has rekindled my interest in writing with a fountain pen and I have acquired several Waterman pens, Carene, Man 100 Opera together with several Parkers including both Centennial and International Duofold. I have to confess I have become addicted to trying out various pens. I seem to have become addicted to watching the F P N Classified and reading opinions and pen experiences of other like minded addicts here. Whilst I do like trying out different pens I have high regard for my 61 and like using it. I do feel that it is good to cultivate the art of hand writing and that a fountain pen with a nib to suit ones stile helps in this regard. John.

Hi,

I was always interested in fountain pens even when I was young. I was once given a broken Parker 45 from my grandfather. The barrel was broken, the grip section was broken, and the nib didn't have tipping. I then got a Parker Reflex and went from there. I also found ballpoint pens quite difficult to use. I often got ink from those pens on myself and I had terrible cramps from using them. When I switched to fountain pens, all the problems disappeared.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I was always from a small child intrigued with a P51 my father won as a soldier. My interest was mundane. I was 10 and we were started on "Copybook" at primary school where in theory we learnt copperplate writing. Some of us did. The dip pens and myself were never a happy union as my copy book looked like a Picasso. At home mum did not take too kindly to bottles of ink being knocked over either. So dad bought me a new Shaeffer cartridge pen. I wanted a Platignum lever fill they looked spiffier and were better in ink fights.