(why am I reviewing this when there are three other reviews -- because of the nib)
Great big Italian made fountain pen. Why'd I get it? I was digging through the sale rack and I found it for 50% off. Unpopular color, unpopular nib... I guess. I was immediately impressed with the color and the size. I never post pens, but this one, I post. Heavy in the hand, lovely glittering detail, lemon sorbet.
Now to the brass tacks:
- Fit and Finish: 10/10 I can't find anything to complain about in regard to how the pen is put together
- Style: 9/10 one point off because the dangling clip looks kinda weird and cheap from some angles (see pix). Granted, it's a clever, spring loaded design to keep the clip from bending... but from an aesthetic standpoint I wasn't blown away.
- C/C Design / filling: 3/10 Attrocious. Positively one of the worst I've ever used. I mean, the loosey-goosey bad acting screw fill is bad enough, but in this pen, because of the 'unique design' of the barrel, you cannot even SEE how much ink you've got. In some other reviews folks said they really like the design because they don't get their fingers dirty. I don't get it.
- Nib: 7/10 I'm a fan of the broad nib, and what I love here is the thickness of the line and how the ink really flows out, it's great. It's pretty springy and can open so much that it railroads, but since it's TITANIUM, it comes back. Three points off because it hops at speed. I supposed this may go away with time, but right now it's a bit skippy and will railroad (see writing sample).
- Price: 10/10 I'm happy I paid $132. For me it was a great deal, but I'm not sure how I'd feel if I had payed full price
It's a big pen.
Here compared to a '40 Golden Arrow Parker Vacumatic and a Lamy Safari.
Here's how it disassembles:
And the writing sample comparing the pens:
Dimensions etc. Since this is a piggy-back review, I'm mainly focusing on what's different here. The other three reviews all have dimensions in them:
Stipula Duetto I think I am running a fever!!! by The Noble Savage
Stipula Duetto Review Amethyst World-Lux LE by Southpaw
Review of Stipula Duetto, Platinum 3776, and Marlen Silhouette by rexadam77
* Edit 1 updated for nib material FAIL
Edited by terminal, 30 March 2012 - 04:18.