• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• Flounder

• livesinjanesville

• flipper_gv

Are you sure? How do you know that someone didn't just gently beat a dinged silver cap they had? It's not a hard process...

edit: thought so. I hope you didn't pay much for that pen....

"I am well aware that it has been stated by pen collectors many times

that the hammered sterling silver Parker “51” caps are fakes, or some

kind of fraudulence has gone on with them." from this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22684-fs-parker-51s-hammered-gf-and-sterling-caps/

Edited by professionaldilettante

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

The hand hammered caps typically have remnants of the imprint at the top. I see "VER" or something just below the clip. That the cap is also marked on the rim is not unprecedented. That the pen likely came from Janesville it likely has provenance. It also most likely has the long clutch. To add to the authenticity, the rhodium plating seems to be present on parts of the cap. Not so with a converted lined sterling cap.

It is true that these are somewhat easily reproduced. All of mine were marked inside the cap.

Now what to do with the pen. You could sell it to me, you have my email!

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I'm jealous. A couple years back at the Ohio Pen Show, a seller had what looked to be a genuine factory hammered Parker 51 FP & pencil set for around $800.....

If you run out of options....I'd consider taking it off your hands....assuming you could let go of it.....

The rarer Parker 51s are a treat to see. Your pen puts to shame the pre-production 1st year Parker 51 I found recently.

As a person who routinely makes hammered caps in their spare time, I can say that this one looks pretty original. I am envious of your find. Hopefully George will chime in, he seems to know all things 51, but to me that one has the right look, patina, and finish as to where I would not be skeptical. Beautiful pen!

http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/displaystyle.jpg

congrats :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

snagged a nice first year "original Parker Hammered sterling silver cap".

now what to do with it?

I do a LOT of hunting,(estate sales,flea markets-in the cold wisconsin weather,local and not so local antique malls and stores and local Parker employees),and many hours on the net(ebay,craigslist,auctionzip).This one was won at a local estate sale.I was once at another estate sale in the hot wisconsin summer and noticed a old coffee can someone was looking into.I went over and there was a bunch of vintage Vacumatic and Duofold gold nibs(maybe 125).I won that bidding war and sold them to a major nib person through a broker.

So every once in a while the hunt pays off.My father had a large pen collection(now after he sold all of it,I try to buy him pens for his small collection-he's 88 years old and still loves vintage pens(mostly Parker 51's).

It will be a little hard to part with this one,but a good guy and 51 collector is getting it at this years Chicago pen show.

There's still alot of pens out there so the hunt continues.

P.s. I do sell almost all the pens I find so others may enjoy them.Thanks for all the interest and nice comments.

The hand hammered caps typically have remnants of the imprint at the top. I see "VER" or something just below the clip. That the cap is also marked on the rim is not unprecedented. That the pen likely came from Janesville it likely has provenance. It also most likely has the long clutch. To add to the authenticity, the rhodium plating seems to be present on parts of the cap. Not so with a converted lined sterling cap.

It is true that these are somewhat easily reproduced. All of mine were marked inside the cap.

Now what to do with the pen. You could sell it to me, you have my email!

Todd

Hello Todd,

I'll try to find you a matching pen and pencil.(might take awhile).thanks as always,Mark

• 4 years later...

This pen. If I end up finding one it's the only pen I'm ready to buy at the second I see one for sale.

This pen. If I end up finding one it's the only pen I'm ready to buy at the second I see one for sale.

These can command a significant price.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

@now what to do with it?

Restore it , and write like someone who deserves to enjoy a beautiful Parker 51.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

These can command a significant price.

Oh I know these are quite collectible. But IIRC, they are under 400$ which would be my maximum for one of these in a great condition with new sac installed.

Oh I know these are quite collectible. But IIRC, they are under 400$ which would be my maximum for one of these in a great condition with new sac installed.

I'd expect to pay more than 400 for an authentic hand hammered 51 cap.

What's this i hear about early 51s having sterling cap clutches? I DEMAND THE FACTS!!!

I was just looking at one yesterday. What brings this crazy subject up?