The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platinum Solid Silver Pts-50000 B Nib

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2012 - 18:34

I was actively seeking out this sterling silver model from Platinum around a year back. I found the pen very attractive, mainly due to the flat ends, unique clip and the stout shape. I was unsuccessful in winning any of the listed pens. I got lucky a few weeks back when I was finally able to win one at a price that I was willing to pay. The pen arrived yesterday in record time from Tottori, Japan.

Platinum pen company of Japan makes a few pens under their "Metal Body" product line. Their flagship is the solid 18K gold model, followed by hand hammered sterling pens, this one is the most economically priced pen in this line, with the pen made of sterling silver and a straight line deep guilloche.

The pen comes in the standard Platinum packaging that also accompanies their PMMA and celluloid 3776 pens:

Posted Image

A sticker on the cover: does it say 18k?
Posted Image

Posted Image

The box opened to reveal the contents:
Posted Image

A closeup of the paper, I guess this gives some sterling silver care instructions, a translation by the Kanji reading folks of our forum will be much appreciated:
Posted Image

The pen sealed in its plastic sleeve:
Posted Image

A closeup of the cliptag:
Posted Image

Capped:
Posted Image

Open:
Posted Image

Section removed:
Posted Image

The clip is the real highlight, a real beauty IMO:
Posted Image

Clip engraving:
Posted Image

Side profile of the clip:
Posted Image

The nib is the same size as found on the 3776 pens, but this nib has been treated with some elaborate scroll work and engraving as compared to the plain 3776 nibs:
Posted Image

Standard plastic feeder:
Posted Image

Engraving on the wide cap band:
Posted Image

Platinum has managed this feat, the barrel is closed ended. i.e. No seperate end piece has been used to plug the end, the barrel is one piece. The conventional construction approach is to use a sterling tube that is first engraved on the guilloche machine with the gripping mandrel passed through the tube, the end is then plugged with a seperate piece. I wonder what technique Platinum used for this pen:
Posted Image

The cap tube, cap top and barrel end are hallmarked SILVER 925:
Posted Image

A comparison picture:

L-R: Platinum Jade 3776 Celluloid, PTS-50000, YOL Grand Victorian, M800 Old syle.
Posted Image

I hope the review will be useful.

Cheers!
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sponsored Content

#2 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2012 - 19:01

Beautiful pen Hari, a definite looker. I wonder how many people are looking on eBay :ninja: .

#3 Fountainpenlover

Fountainpenlover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2012 - 21:13

Great taste Hari! Congratulations on your pen. It is an amazing pen. Have one identical to yours in sterling silver and it is one of my most favourite pens. Not only good looking but also writes smoothly and is a real pleasure to use.

#4 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:45

Thank you Jayant, FPLover, for your kind comments.

Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#5 bk123

bk123

Long Live FPN

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:04

Congratulations on your pen Hari, it's a silver beauty :puddle: :puddle:

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

#6 shrujaya

shrujaya

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:21

Hari bhai...mastt dikhra kalam...ha ha ha...I like the careful attention to detail in the pen...the engravings on the nib, the simple lovely design on the cap band, the close-ended barrel, and above all the lovely clip and that top of the clip lines...very good...must be great to have it clipped on to one's pocket...enjoy...

Shrujaya
Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:42

Congratulations on your pen Hari, it's a silver beauty :puddle: :puddle:

Thank you Binod.

Hari bhai...mastt dikhra kalam...ha ha ha...I like the careful attention to detail in the pen...the engravings on the nib, the simple lovely design on the cap band, the close-ended barrel, and above all the lovely clip and that top of the clip lines...very good...must be great to have it clipped on to one's pocket...enjoy...

Jai, :roflmho: The pen is riding in my shirt pocket today. Been using it today, loving it.

Best,
Hari

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:50

congrats on a nice platinum :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#9 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:58

Thanks Georges. have you tried a Platinum yet? you might like the nibs, very well made.

#10 shrujaya

shrujaya

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:44

Jai, :roflmho: The pen is riding in my shirt pocket today. Been using it today, loving it.

Best,
Hari

Maja karo Hari bhai

Jai bhai
Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

#11 Sidestreaker

Sidestreaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 18:50

Gorgeous looking silver pen there Hari. Congratulations and use in good health! :thumbup: :thumbup:
My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

Posted Image

#12 sunfun

sunfun

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 19:02

so beautiful :clap1: pen!

#13 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:48

Gorgeous looking silver pen there Hari. Congratulations and use in good health! :thumbup: :thumbup:

so beautiful :clap1: pen!

Thank you :cloud9:

#14 Strang

Strang

Down

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:11

Another beauty, Hari! Thanks for all the detailed photos; very helpful.
Yes, yes I do owe you a letter.

#15 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:31

Thanks Strang. It was you who got me started on the Platinum pens, I now agree that their nibs are one of the best.

Regards,
Hari

#16 Abhik

Abhik

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2012 - 17:04

Dear Hari, congratulations! Its a wonderful pen! Detailed review with nice photos makes this review all the more attractive. How is it writing?
Enjoy!
Abhik

#17 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2012 - 17:09

Dear Hari, congratulations! Its a wonderful pen! Detailed review with nice photos makes this review all the more attractive. How is it writing?
Enjoy!
Abhik

Thank you Abhik. I wrote a page with it about half and hour back. The pen started right up after a day of non use. It is a wet writer and the nib is soft, not a nail and the line width is similar to that made by a 149 M nib. I am sorry I neglected to include a writing sample in the review...

Best
Hari

#18 reprieve

reprieve

tightrope walker

• Member - Gold

• 2,943 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 21:47

What a gorgeous pen! It looks like it will fit in well with the Yard O Leds.

#19 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2012 - 22:11

Thanks Georges. have you tried a Platinum yet? you might like the nibs, very well made.

Hi Hari

Haven't seen a platinum dealer in France since a decade but a friend of mine showed me a platinum he bought in Japan some years ago, very nice pen. Problem is that the nib is not as big as on the 149 or m1000. I have some pens that are reserved for me and I can't go out of my budget because I have some other expenses. If I ever see one in second I might buy it but it is not for now.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#20 Strang

Strang

Down

• Remembered Fondly
  • 2,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2012 - 20:31

Thanks Strang. It was you who got me started on the Platinum pens, I now agree that their nibs are one of the best.Regards,Hari

Yes Hari, I'm guilty as charged. I am very fond of Platinums. :rolleyes:
Posted Image
Yes, yes I do owe you a letter.

Sponsored Content

|