Baoer 100

Genova Blues

I picked up a 100 after reading this review, and have a few comments.

• Nib alignment.
    My nib is also out of alignment with the section.
    This is bothersome to me, and has another effect related to the "sweet spot."
    I tried nima's method to pull the nib/feed and try to align it with the section. But the nib did NOT pull out. I tried gripping it with a padded plier, for more grip, and all I did was to BREAK the tip of the nib. At least it was a cheap purchase. But now I have to hassle with buying another 100. We need to find out how to properly remove the nib/feed and align it in the section.
  • Sweet spot or sensitivity to rotation along the axis of the pen.
    I also verified that the nib has a sweet spot. If I rotate the nib a bit, my pen does not write well. This becomes tricky when the nib is out of alignment from the section, as I use the section to align the pen to the paper. I have to rotate the top of the section a bit to the right of vertical, to try to get the nib properly on the the paper. This is not always easy to do and at times becomes irritating.
  • Ink
    I use Waterman black ink in my Baoer 100, and it flows well, if I have the nib properly aligned to the paper (see sweet spot above).
    I found that Cross/Pelikan ink is a bit dry, so I use it in wet pens (pens that flow too much ink).
    In a dry pen, which the Baoer 100 seems to be, I would use Waterman ink (or a similar wet ink) to get the ink flowing.
  • Tip/Nib
    The tip seems to be typical Chinese/Japanese (with my limited experience), very smooth. Looking at the tip through an 8x loupe, I can see that it is nicely polished. This contributes to the smooth writing feel of the pen, and its ability to write on paper that my older Parker pens with F tip feel scratchy on.
Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Genova Blues

• tryphon

• Flounder

• ac12

Excellent review and follow up comments. Early 2013 I bought three Baoer 100's, two black and one light blue. The nib related problems as mentioned were not present, and I did once again take a closer look. The misalignment you all have mentioned, is not there. Very nice writing instrument. Only difference is that the whiskers shown on the section in your photo are not present. [ Sorry I cant post photos now, a message says, I have exceeded my allotted disc space. Wish I knew how to fix the same issue]. I have found this pen as a very nice all round pen! Quite sure the makers have read your excellent review and took corrective action.!!!

Warm regards

Soumitra Sanyal

• 5 months later...

I have just purchased a Baoer 100 from a UK dealer and my initial impressions are positive - it is cetainly a fine nib. However, I was surprised to find that nowhere on the pen is there any indication that it is a Baoer 100 - no engravings, etc. The only place Baoer is mentioned is on the converter. Is this normal?

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of comments: do not use a steel blade to separate the tines! Use thin brass shims or a piece of acetate sheet (from an overhead slide-- remember those?). I cringe everytime I read of someone using a razor blade on a nib... I used to teach members of my pen club how to adjust nibs and all we needed was our fingers and a piece of thin acetate.

As for the look of the Baoer 100, not quite Aurora 88, in my opinion; it is closer to the look of the Italian school pens made in Settimo in the 1950s and early '60s: several of those had a similar decoration on the section, I have a few of those in my collection.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

...and some very obvious adjustment techniques as endorsed by TWSBI on their facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.248058651902923.54709.117058861669570&type=3

don't be afraid to press!

I have to disagree! Pressing does spread the tines, but it also modifies the camber in a negative way. In addition, F nibs like to be used with a very light touch. Don't expect to change an F to an M only by spreading the tines!

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

• 2 years later...

This pen reminds me Sheaffer Taranis by its performance (and by how the nib looks). Lovely and not so expensive pen from China.

... I believe in purple ink

old post but the discussion on tines spreading is aways actual

I also avoid using cutters or blades, it's far too dangerous when other materials work as well

my favourite is an old piece of photographic negative film, it's thin enough and also harmless to the nib to get between the tines easily enough, and allow for gradual spreading, also it is very safe vs the feeder

• 3 months later...

I just bought this pen on aliexpress and I am actually delighted. Mine is a somewhat wet writer, depending on the paper, it is just right (leading to 0.3 mm lines) or even too much (=> 0.5 mm).

When it is on sales again, I think of buying some more.

Pens from Baoer/Jinhao never really disappoint (me).

I just bought this pen on aliexpress and I am actually delighted. Mine is a somewhat wet writer, depending on the paper, it is just right (leading to 0.3 mm lines) or even too much (=> 0.5 mm).

When it is on sales again, I think of buying some more.

Pens from Baoer/Jinhao never really disappoint (me).

I got one recently and agree. It is a joy to write with and is much smoother, with better ink flow than many much more expensive pens.

• 1 year later...

Great review, Sergio! I still have to buy my first Baoer pen, but I have a few in mind 388, 051 and the 100). Just received a beautiful Jinhoa Y3 today; what a lovely pen!

• 2 weeks later...

I have this pen and it feels very well built, both plastic section and lacquered brass barrel feel substantial, unlike many chinese pens.

Hooded nibs are the best