Help Me Decide Between Two Totally Different Pens

bunnspecial

I've had a personal moratorium on pen purchases this year, but have decided that I'm going to buy one as a gift to myself assuming I pass everything at the end of the semester :)

I'm debating against two equally classic, but totally different pens that are around the same price-a Lamy 2000 and a Pilot Vanishing Point.

In the 2000s favor is that I really like Lamy pens in general(I have a couple of Safaris and a Studio that's probably my favorite I own). I also prefer a true piston filler.

In the Vanishing Point's favor is that I tend to write a lot in note taking situations where I'm either constantly capping/uncapping or fighting nib dry-out. Also in its favor is the interchangeable nibs, although I don't think thats a huge consideration since that isn't a functionality I've used on other pens I own that allow that.

On the downside to the 2000, I'm not crazy about the semi-hooded nib, and with the VP I'm not sure about the clip placement. Although I haven't tried a 2000, I tend to hold my pens low enough that I expect the "ears" won't be a problem.

I tend to prefer heavier pens, and find my Studio and Sheaffer Prelude to be just right as far as weight.

I realize that, at least at current prices, the 2000 is a little more expensive, although price isn't a huge consideration for me. I want to keep it under $200, though, so the Lamy retractable(I forget the model) is out of the picture.

I'd appreciate any input to help me make my selection.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bunnspecial

• XiaoMG

• JefferyS

• andybiotic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd vote for the Vanishing Point. I love them and I have three of them. However, if you're taking a lot of notes, the ink capacity isn't too impressive, so you might have to have some backup cartridges on hand.

Help out a poor college student! ^-^' INK SAMPLE CLEARANCE! - Parker Penman Sapphire samples, Palomino Blackwing, Palomino Blackwing 602, and empty vials available.

Don't have either pen, so I'll vote for TWSBI at $60. The combination of great nib and ink capacity make it a no-brainer to me. If you had grown up in the '60's, it is the Volkswagon of pens. Or the Big Mac (shirt) of pens. Or the Ruger of pens. For years, my Blue collar shirts cost $1.97 each. Cheap, but totally functional.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I'm not ruling out a TWSBI at some time in the future, but I'm NOT interested in one in the least bit for this particular purchase.

To be blunt, I don't want a demonstrator and I don't want a pen that can't be posted.

If you want a fine (F) nib, get the VP. It's fine is very nice, and also, if you get M or B on the VP, the ink won't last as long. Also it's finer than the 2k. I don't have a Lamy, so I can't say for sure. I'll echo something that I think was said by watch_art said: get a pen you like looking at.

If posting is essential then no VP for obvious reasons.I own two VP and want to sell themIt isn't that they are bad, they just don't fit my collection...I like a smaller pen.

I'm pretty sure that he wants a pen that enables posting because he doesn't want to keep track of the cap. As the Vanishing Point (or Capless) has no cap, I doubt it'd be a problem.

If you're in school and can keep it to a F nib (or less) I'd say Vanishing Point. I have both and love my 2000 a lot more, but there is one use I have for the VP that makes it pretty much irreplaceable. I have a judge who loves to lecture in the middle of his sentencing announcements, and the push button action is perfect for that note taking style situation.

If you do go VP, I would strongly recommend the carbonesque finishes.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I'm pretty sure that he wants a pen that enables posting because he doesn't want to keep track of the cap. As the Vanishing Point (or Capless) has no cap, I doubt it'd be a problem.

Right, I'm mostly concerned about not having to keep track of the cap. If that means doing so by posting it or by not having one, that's okay. The one thing that's out is having a pen that's not designed for one of the two options.

By the way, as far as nib width, I tend toward the finer side, but my tastes have changed as I've acquired more variety.

I find the 14k Studio "fine" nib(which is on the wide side) to be about perfect. From what I've read and understand, it sounds like I'd best be able to match this with a fine on a 2000 or a medium on a Pilot.

Edited by bunnspecial

1332811950[/url]' post='2293706']

I'm not ruling out a TWSBI at some time in the future, but I'm NOT interested in one in the least bit for this particular purchase.

To be blunt, I don't want a demonstrator and I don't want a pen that can't be posted.

I understand. Maybe in the years to come.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

A $200.00 cap for a fountain pen as a reward for good work in school. I suggest considering, http://www.gouletpen...nb-10000b-f.htm , or http://www.gouletpen...pnb-10000-b.htm , or http://www.gouletpen...pnb-10000-f.htm with a .53 cc converter, http://www.platinum-...econverter.html & http://www.gouletpen...nverter-500.htm

At Goulet Pen Company, you qualify of a 5% discount by using coupon code FPN : ) . You'll absolutely love Goulet Pen Company's service too : ) .

Edited by Lalique

Both are great pens, but based on what you said, I think you would like the VP. You mentioned liking heavier pens, and liking the weight of the Prelude. Based on that I think you would like the feel of VP. If you cap your Prelude and hold it like you were going to write with it, you will have a pretty good approximation of what the VP feels like in terms of diameter and weight. The weight, size, and balance are similar. If you get the VP I would go with the fine. I don't have a 14k Studio fine nib, but the VP medium is pretty broad, wider than the fine nib on my Prelude.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of the semester!

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

I appreciate all of the different comments and opinions, and especially for the suggestions which I hadn't considered.

It sounds like the VP is the favorite so far. In all honesty, I was leaning more toward the 2000, but the VP has been bumped up based on the comments here. The next step is to see if I can find both locally and try them out.

I find the regular Pilot Capless a bit on the chubby side, and much prefer the more slender Decimo. The Lamy 2000 is one of those pens you'll probably want anyway in the future, and it will dig at you until you eventually get it anyway. I adore the Decimo, though a small part of my brain doesn't want to admit it, and would prefer something with a more traditionally shaped nib. Still...it is the best writer I have right now and is the one I almost always reach for first.

As for the TWSBI...if I had tried a Decimo before I got my first TWSBI, I would not own more than one TWSBI despite the whole made-in-Taiwan pride thing. I suspect I'd feel the same way if I had gotten a Lamy 2000 first.

Robert.

It is the clip that is has been holding me back form the vp... I tend to hold my pen slightly across the section instead of just down the section so it may get in my way... otherwise it is a very convenient pen... if only they produce a no clip version....

On this basis, I vote for the 2000, I've heard may good thing about it but remember that the nibs of Lamy are a bit thicker than normal and especially thicker than Pilots, if you like Western Fine, then it would be the Medium for the VP and possibly Extra Fine for the 2000!

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Andybiotics/Writing%20Samples/P1020494j-1reversedcolour.jpg

Dear lord another pen vs pen discussion. GET THEM BOTH :P

But seriously, I have both of them and yes they are incredibly different pens. Whichever you get you will be very satisfied with. My VP is an amazing pen, practical for everyday note taking. The 2000 however is much classier looking IMO and the piston filler holds a ton of ink. They also come apart completely for easy cleaning! The VP takes cartridges which may possibly be preferable for when you're out and about, but you'll be changing them more often than you'll be inking a 2000.

The finish on the 2000 is better than the mostly regular metal finish on the VP I reckon. It scratches less easily, and has a nice matte look and feel. The hooded nib is a big advantage in fact, as it keeps the nib from drying out when uncapped.

That said, I often reach for my VP when I need to do a one handed "click and write". The little nib is a beauty and one of the smoothest in my collection. You'll also find it goes finer than the 2000 because it's a Japanese nib. Nibs are readily available online unlike the 2000, and it's a rather light, fun pen.

My verdict? Get the cheaper pen and then buy the other later. The 2000 is one of the better modern piston fillers and for me the fact that I can completely take it apart makes it a wonderful pen for me (slight bias because I am a devoted vintage lamy fan. The classic lamys have a design that is just like the 2000.) ergo if I was to choose one I would probably take the 2000. Seriously either way you are getting a beautiful pen that will last you a very long time (my VP and 2000 are both vintage, over 30 years old. They both write flawlessly!!)

A word of caution however, the VP does come across as a clicky ballpoint to the unwashed masses, so keep an eye out for anyone reaching across the desk to borrow it! My mum thankfully clicked it and realised it was a fountain pen (she went "oh cool!!" and treated it like a fountain pen) but it does show how people can mistake it for a "regular" pen :)

Visit my blog Pentorium!

I personally would go for Pilot Vanishing Point. It is really nice pen, but than again I don't like Lamy so I don't know how objective my opinion is.

fpn_1333296404__signature.png