Favorite Estie Nib?

terminal

Currently using a NOS 1461, really enjoy the smoothness. Being left handed I find using flex nibs to bothersome.

God is my Strength.

Brad http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terminal

• pajaro

• OakIris

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Currently using a NOS 1461, really enjoy the smoothness. Being left handed I find using flex nibs to bothersome.

God is my Strength.

Brad http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

God is my Strength.

Nice avatar. Worth seeing three times. Triple play, fantastico!

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Nice avatar. Worth seeing three times. Triple play, fantastico!

Thanks, I sometimes push the reply button too many times.

God is my Strength.

I just got my first Estie last week, an SJ, but I bought it b/c it has the 9550 nib - I like XF / XXF nibs. And I have to say the the SJ with this nib has become one of my all time favorites. A wonderful, wonderful pen.

-mina

My favorite is the 9550. I like an extra fine line and the Esterbrook 9550 fills the bill very smoothly.

-David.

Am in complete agreement... Love my 9550... it's like writing with a needle :wub:

I must admit that I like all the nibs I have tried so far, but I do like my 3550 nib a lot. I started out a medium kinda gal, but that nib is luring me to the extra fine side for my everyday writer. :lol:

Ya know, I would really like a nib between medium and fine. I've seen both the 1554 &1555 referred to as "medium-fine", but have no idea if either actually is. Can anyone provide more details in that area?

Ya know, I would really like a nib between medium and fine. I've seen both the 1554 &1555 referred to as "medium-fine", but have no idea if either actually is. Can anyone provide more details in that area?

I really don't know about that, and "medium" and "fine" are such... fuzzy terms. But here is something to think about: even within the exact same nib number, the point width varies on Estie nibs. I don't know if it is by batches, by eras or what. Almost specific to your question is something I've been meaning to ask (I may email Brian directly)...

I like the 9668 nibs a lot for all basic writing, and 2668 work well also. In the last few months I've gotten two identical 9668 nibs that are VERY different. The tines are longer, and there is a narrower cut to the shoulders. It doesn't just look like it should have some flex, but it actually does. It is also a finer line, in fact probably what Harl is asking about - between the standard Estie "medium" and "fine" nibs (say, 9668 and 9556). And they are both identifiable to the eye quite easily, as they both have an identical arrowhead-shaped breather hole. Not round, a long isosceles triangle.

These aren't mods, grinds, or one-offs, these seem to have been produced for a period, but I don't know anything more about them than what I can see, and certainly how they write. They are *very* cool nibs.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I like the 2556 for general writing and doing math, but use a 2314 relief nib when I want something with a little extra character. I find the 2000 series estie nibs to be generally smoother than the iridium tipped 9000 nibs, but of course I have met some very pleasant exceptions to that generalism.

I am anxious to try the 8xxx nibs. I do want an 8668, but I haven't found on yet. I also just got a 9788, but haven't had the chance to start using it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

How big is the difference in smoothness between the standard 1xxx and 9xxx nibs?

I just bought my first Estie, a red SJ with a 1554 nib and while I haven't gotten it yet I've been considering getting a 9550 but I'm not sure it is worth the cost to upgrade.

How big is the difference in smoothness between the standard 1xxx and 9xxx nibs?

I just bought my first Estie, a red SJ with a 1554 nib and while I haven't gotten it yet I've been considering getting a 9550 but I'm not sure it is worth the cost to upgrade.

There's a loaner program for Esties, where members have offered pens and nibs for loan so you can try pens and nibs. See the pinned topic.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

dear all.

i have just found this..

VENUS Replaceable Pen Nib

what do you tink about these. are they any good.

i can practice with these before i splash out on a real nip no?

dear all.

i have just found this..

VENUS Replaceable Pen Nib

what do you tink about these. are they any good.

i can practice with these before i splash out on a real nip no?

I have used the Venus fine and medium nibs. They are about like 2xxx nibs. They work well.

If you use a Venus medium nib, then a 2668 would be about the same.

ALL OF THEM! :P LOL!

I like Medium/Bold nibs-

(favorites in my collection)

-9460 (Is my favorite)

-2314 M/B

;) Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

9314-M (sometimes B, not so often F) - those reliefs are not for everyone and the 9314's are hard as nails - but just the PERFECT nib for me! :drool:

9968 Firm Broad Stub for me with a touch of nail board Rx

9788 Extra Flexible Medium

In that order.

Mark Polis, MD

"A flourishing style of chirography is nowhere less in place than on a physician's prescription."___1856, Edward Parrish, An Introduction to Practical Pharmacy

Recently bought two cartridge Osmiroid 65s with medium Rolatip nibs. Nothing special in theory in the nib department, but both had worn into beautifully smooth stubs, one a touch more emphasised than the other. Better, I think, than even my Estie stubs, but definitely the result of luck rather than judgement on my part.