Favorite Estie Nib?

terminal

Terminal, J's do not have very big sacks, in fact the J, LJ and SJ use the same sack.

I'm thinkin' eyedrop conversion :headsmack:

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terminal

• pajaro

• OakIris

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No 9128 here as yet, terminal. Sounds rather interesting; I would like to try out a flexible nib such as that one, the 2048 or the 9788 or.... Is the 9128 on your wish list? I already seem to have too many on mine, but there is always room for more, right?!?

It is... I have to be honest though... I've got four Esties sitting here now and I don't really like any of them very much. I'm kinda souring on them frankly. 9668, 3556 'sunburst', 2668 and 9556. I tried carrying the 9668 as my daily for a week and got really irritated with it. Holds very little ink, is mean in the morning and is just all around dry. Were you ever able to resolve the problem with one you bought?

Sorry you are having such a bad experience with your Esties. :(

I work at home so running out of ink wouldn't be a problem. Not sure how you would convert one into an eyedropper - I don't think it would be possible, really, but one of the Estie experts here could probably tell you.

The only problem I had with one of my Esties was that it was sent with the wrong nib on it; just got it back with the right nib. I love all of my Esties, including my mech pencil - very pretty, none of my pens are in the least bit dry, they write first time, every time, and, except for the one scratchy nib, since corrected, all the nibs I have tried are smooth writers. Am I just lucky? :unsure:

Holly

That's good to hear in a way.... it may simply be that I've gotten a bad group then. I'm glad the nib replacement went well too!

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

I'm thinkin' eyedrop conversion :headsmack:

That would take some serious surgery: the sections are friction-fit, not threaded, and there isn't any blind cap. I'm not sure where you would plan to fill and seal the barrel.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I haven't tried a large variety of Estie nibs, but I will say this: I didn't believe the statement often made that a steel nib can be as good a writer as a gold nib until I put a 2668 on my Estie J recently (thanks Brian!! :thumbup: )

jb500

"A witty saying proves nothing."--Voltaire

I found this thread because I was wondering what nibs I should consider looking for. I've only tried the 1551, 1555, and 2556, out of which I prefer the 1551, although all are good. I'm waiting for a 9550 nib that I ordered a few days ago.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

• 1 month later...

My current favorite is a super smooth 2556. But my 9668/2668's are my all rounders.

9284. The more I use this nib, the more I appreciate the options you have using it rightside up or upside down, where I get a finer line with some variation and a bit more practicality. I was lucky to get this nib for about $20.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Only one vote for the 2442?!?

hmm1.gif

eureka.gif

That means more for me!!!!!!!!!!!

clap1.gifdrool.gif

I do want to try one of the 9284 nibs, I try to love my 2284s, but they are broader than I prefer due to the size of my handwriting. But they are outstanding for signatures!

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/nq/9df5e10593.gif

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --

Fifteen Esties? :yikes: Plus a stockpile of nibs in case of a nuclear holocaust... :hmm1: I think that you might qualify as a collector!

Holly

Ouch!

;)

I don't think he gets branded as a C-Worder until he has 1) Two pens exactly alike, 2) A glass lidded or doored display case, and 3) A pen that's too valuable to ink and carry

That's how I heard it anyway,

Bruce in Ocala, FL-just a lowly Acuumuluser here

Bruce, you may be right but I am delighted to note that as I believe that I will never own a pen I can't fill and write with then I will be a Accumuluser as well but never a collector ;)

I'm in a constant state of cat-like readiness!!!

"What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other" George Elliot

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

My vote is for the 2968 / 9968 and I also love my 2284 signature and my 9314-B.

I'm in a constant state of cat-like readiness!!!

"What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other" George Elliot

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Only one vote for the 2442?!?

hmm1.gif

eureka.gif

That means more for me!!!!!!!!!!!

clap1.gifdrool.gif

I do want to try one of the 9284 nibs, I try to love my 2284s, but they are broader than I prefer due to the size of my handwriting. But they are outstanding for signatures!

I think you would find the 9284 just about like the 2284. It's wide and fairly wet, but turning it upside down tames it a tad. I have a few other stub nibs, and they are mostly good for amusement. I was led to buy a 2442 nib, thankfully lost it. If I could find it, I'd send it to you. Too fine of something, I never got into it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

• 3 weeks later...
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/photobucket-37211-1342686060839.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I had a 9550 and that nib was FUN to use, albeit, too fine for my writing. (I tend to write smaller when using finer nibs and I've written 1/16" tall letters subconsciously, while note taking and ended up with borderline readable notes)

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/photobucket-37211-1342686060839.jpg

Boy do I love your handwriting!

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

The other day I was fidddling with pens. My wife picked up a light green J. Her actual words were, "Ooh, pretty." I mentioned that many people liked the 9668 nib. So, I installed the nib and inked the pen. Her pick for ink was Waterman Florida/Serenity Blue. Just like that, I lost a pen. Now it rides in her bag everywhere. She has not had an interest in fountain pens before and now she is besotted. Esterbrooks are nice pens.

My wife picked up a light green J. Her actual words were, "Ooh, pretty." ... now she is besotted.

They haven't been likened to crack for nothin ya know!

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

So far, 9555. So far because that's all I've tried. I'm a long-time Estie appreciator but new Estie owner and have two 9555 nibs, one outstanding--really outstanding--and the other good but could use a little smoothing. Happily, fine nibs are my preference. I would like to give a 9550 or similar a chance to become my favorite, I think it would have a shot. Of course I wouldn't mind giving a host of others a try as well.

I have found the 9460, and bought two more. A great nib. Mine seem to write a fine line, and they do it nicely. Maybe my touch is light. Still liking the 9284 stub. Also have 9550, 9556 X 2. 9556 works like velvet in a Deluxe I got recently.