The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Favorite Estie Nib?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 jrweaver

jrweaver

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 15:46

I picked up a CX-100 the other day for peanuts with a "Medium" marked nib. I believe this to be the more modern equivalent to the 2668. I was shocked at how smooth it was. Almost indistinguishable from my beloved 9668!
J. Weaver

I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Sponsored Content

#42 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:59

Hands down, 9312 italic nib that's been worn just a touch - tons of variation, writes perfectly. They're so hard to find though! I just switched it over to a nice blue J from the Silver it's been in for the last two months.

Looks as if I have a whole lot more nibs to try out! I would love to try an italic nib, though I don't know that I have the penmanship that would do it justice.

Holly

Holly, part of the wide draw of Italics, especially Cursive italics and Stubs is that you Don't Have To have great penmanship for them to still add pizazz to your writing. You don't have to concentrate on what you are doing like you do with a flex nib.

IMO, you can also have yourself a much nicer edged Estie nib Ground than any of the stock ones and for cheaper usually too.

A 9668 ground to a CI can give you a wide Medium vertical line, a 9968 Broad even wider. (I find the 9668 makes a perfect CI/Stub myself.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL
Posted Image

Thank you for the reassurance that good penmanship is not a requirement for the use of Italic or CI nibs, Bruce. I would like to at least get a 9668...I have quite a list of nibs now, but will have to make do with the nice nibs I already have until I can justify buying some more! One of the cooler things about Esties - if you want a different writing experience, just buy a new nib instead of spending money on a whole new pen.

Holly

#43 Eduardo

Eduardo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:41

I don't like fine nibs... But I'm very curious about the REAL DIFFERENCES between the #9550, #9551 and #9555 and #9556...

Do someone FEEL the differences of each one???
Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!

#44 Truman

Truman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 19:33

Does most everyone swap their nibs, or do you usually have an Estie for each? Right now I do an Estie for each just because they are really cheap...

Amazingly (at least to me) I am up to 15 pens so I have't swapped out the nibs. I have, however, switched from buying pens to accumlating nibs. Kind of a bunker mentality on stockpiling the nibs. :embarrassed_smile:

#45 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 14:01

Does most everyone swap their nibs, or do you usually have an Estie for each? Right now I do an Estie for each just because they are really cheap...

Amazingly (at least to me) I am up to 15 pens so I have't swapped out the nibs. I have, however, switched from buying pens to accumlating nibs. Kind of a bunker mentality on stockpiling the nibs. :embarrassed_smile:

Fifteen Esties? :yikes: Plus a stockpile of nibs in case of a nuclear holocaust... :hmm1: I think that you might qualify as a collector! I would like to add a couple more Esties myself, as I don't have a copper/rootbeer or one of their green pens. After that, I think adding more nibs is the way to go - I can't afford to buy all the different renditions of Esterbrooks Js, let alone all of the other models of Esties available, but buying a few different nibs will certainly be affordable (if there any left after Truman has his fill. :P )

Holly

#46 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 15:13

Fifteen Esties? :yikes: Plus a stockpile of nibs in case of a nuclear holocaust... :hmm1: I think that you might qualify as a collector!

Holly

Ouch!

;)

I don't think he gets branded as a C-Worder until he has 1) Two pens exactly alike, 2) A glass lidded or doored display case, and 3) A pen that's too valuable to ink and carry

That's how I heard it anyway,

Bruce in Ocala, FL-just a lowly Acuumuluser here

#47 M@rtin

M@rtin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 16:49

9550 :hmm1:

#48 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 16:50

I don't think he gets branded as a C-Worder until he has 1) Two pens exactly alike, 2) A glass lidded or doored display case, and 3) A pen that's too valuable to ink and carry

Ok, now you've got me scared, because with that statement I'm two down and one to go. And it's scary because I was considering not inking a pen that is coming in the mail...
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#49 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:51

Fifteen Esties? :yikes: Plus a stockpile of nibs in case of a nuclear holocaust... :hmm1: I think that you might qualify as a collector!

Holly

Ouch!

;)

Copy that. I think the requirement for Journeyman C-Worder is "striving to gather at least one complete color-set of a particular model". I'm still looking for the elusive black LJ icicle to complete mine .... :mellow:

Oh, BTW, 9668.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#50 arrow king

arrow king

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 14:18

Just an aside. On my wall, opposite my computer, are two framed bill signing ceremonies. One is for the Navajo Irrigation Project, June 13, 1962. The second is for the Federal Highway Act, June 29 1961. With them are pictures of President Kennedy signing with his preferred nib. 9668. The pens were presented to Senator Denis Chavez (NM) and represented to his Chief Engineer and advisor where they remained in a brief case in their boxes and with the provence. They are now under glass, the pictures were obtained from university archives, a relative of the engineer gave me the pens as he knew I was a collector and would give them proper custodial care.

They still have the dried ink from Kennedy's use on them and will stay that way however I have a number of 9668s to use with my Esties and second the choice. The pens are desk pens, black hand section, clear plactic stem, simply marked 'The President, The White House' plain brown pen box hand inscribed by the Senator.

#51 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 15:19

Ok, now you've got me scared, because with that statement I'm two down and one to go. And it's scary because I was considering not inking a pen that is coming in the mail...

Holly

Ouch!

;)

Copy that. I think the requirement for Journeyman C-Worder is "striving to gather at least one complete color-set of a particular model". I'm still looking for the elusive black LJ icicle to complete mine .... :mellow:

Oh, BTW, 9668.

I meant no insult or criticism of Truman by saying he might be a collector - hope you didn't take it that way, Truman! :blink: :unsure: Perhaps, like me and Bruce, you are an accumuluser instead (great term, Bruce!) :P (Now Jon, you, however, might be getting close to being a C-Worder. lol )

Just an aside. On my wall, opposite my computer, are two framed bill signing ceremonies. One is for the Navajo Irrigation Project, June 13, 1962. The second is for the Federal Highway Act, June 29 1961. With them are pictures of President Kennedy signing with his preferred nib. 9668. The pens were presented to Senator Denis Chavez (NM) and represented to his Chief Engineer and advisor where they remained in a brief case in their boxes and with the provence. They are now under glass, the pictures were obtained from university archives, a relative of the engineer gave me the pens as he knew I was a collector and would give them proper custodial care.

They still have the dried ink from Kennedy's use on them and will stay that way however I have a number of 9668s to use with my Esties and second the choice. The pens are desk pens, black hand section, clear plactic stem, simply marked 'The President, The White House' plain brown pen box hand inscribed by the Senator.

How cool is that! Wonderful story, arrow king, thank you for that! :thumbup:

As terminal mentioned before, the consensus seems to be that the 9668 is one of the best Estie nibs. Guess one of them is in my future!

Holly

Edited by OakIris, 05 May 2012 - 15:25.

#52 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

• 842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 22:28

Wow! Very nice! :notworthy1: JFK was IMO, one of the last two real "statesmen" presidents (Reagan the other). A real inspirational speaker. I'd have followed him to the gates of Hell to battle Satan. And he used a 9668, my favorite point? An additional plus.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#53 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:09

Holly

Ouch!

;)

OMG... :yikes: can I get therapy?
Now back to the OP's question...I would have said 9668... But recently acquired a 9312 and it is wonderful! Nice variation and very smooth.
This post contains 100% recycled electrons

#54 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:34

ANyone every tried a 9128?
"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

#55 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

• 842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:21

OK. I didn't know if anyone was keeping statistics, so I thought I'd try it. Can't vouch for accuracy, because of getting caught up in reading the posts...but so far, after 15 days or so, I'd say that the clear winner is:

9668 with 10 regular votes, plus 1 9668 Pendletonized; followed by
9550 with 5 votes
2668 with 3 votes

Then, with 2 votes;
9314M

And, with 1 vote each;
Gregg
1550(Binderized)
2314M
and Osmiridium M Italic

Altogether, an eclectic group of writers we are, eh?

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

#56 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 15:24

No 9128 here as yet, terminal. Sounds rather interesting; I would like to try out a flexible nib such as that one, the 2048 or the 9788 or.... Is the 9128 on your wish list? I already seem to have too many on mine, but there is always room for more, right?!?

Just received my 9314B and 9556. Haven't tried the newly-smoothed (hopefully) 9556 as yet but the 9314 B is kind of fun - nice line variation and very smooth when you rotate the nib correctly! This is my first oblique broad stub nib so I need to get used to it. I also have yet to try the 1556 nib I have; maybe next week. I seem to have enough to play with right now and only 3 Esties to try them out in. :P

Thank you for the listing, Paul. Looks as if the one that the majority of people will be competing over is the 9668. Right now that is the one at the top of my wish list, too.

Holly

#57 jrweaver

jrweaver

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 15:34

Looks like Mr. Anderson has 1 9668 in stock on his site. Let's see how long it stays in stock! Ready..... GO!!!
J. Weaver

I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

#58 Biber

Biber

...but that was another lifetime

• Member - Gold

• 1,443 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 15:50

No 9128 here as yet, terminal. Sounds rather interesting; I would like to try out a flexible nib such as that one, the 2048 or the 9788 or.... Is the 9128 on your wish list? I already seem to have too many on mine, but there is always room for more, right?!?

The last Esty I picked up came with a 9128. Nice nib and easily as fine as the 9550, though I would't really call it flexible as such, just reasonably soft. I ended up sidelining it in favor of a 9550 because I was afraid I'd spring the nib playing with the little flex quality it had.
"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

#59 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 19:23

It is... I have to be honest though... I've got four Esties sitting here now and I don't really like any of them very much. I'm kinda souring on them frankly. 9668, 3556 'sunburst', 2668 and 9556. I tried carrying the 9668 as my daily for a week and got really irritated with it. Holds very little ink, is mean in the morning and is just all around dry. Were you ever able to resolve the problem with one you bought?
"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

#60 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2012 - 17:28

Terminal, J's do not have very big sacks, in fact the J, LJ and SJ use the same sack.

Brian, There's a typo in you list, I just checked and I voted 2314B and I think that's the single vote.

Sponsored Content

|