The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Favorite Estie Nib?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#21 bhbarto

bhbarto

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 00:55

2968 and 9314-M.

Pen(s) Currently in Rotation:

Parker "51" (Fine) - Waterman Blue-Black

Edison Herald (Fine) - Waterman Blue-Black

Sheaffer TD Statesman Fat Model (Fine) - Waterman Blue-Black

Sheaffer Snorkel Desk Pen (Medium) - Cult Pens Deep Dark Brown

Sponsored Content

#22 floydee1

floydee1

Nervous? Nah! Just thinking.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 21:48

My favorite is the 9788.

Such a lovely springy nib (for me), and decent(enough) line variation but not over the top.

F

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

#23 kathleen

kathleen

Simple Things Matter Most

• Member - Gold

• 1,434 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 23:34

My favorite is the 9788.

Such a lovely springy nib (for me), and decent(enough) line variation but not over the top.

F

I totally agree, the 9788 is a "lovely springy nib"
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

#24 liapuyat

liapuyat

Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:20

9555 and 9556. I actually prefer the finer line of the 9555, but colors look really great coming out of the 9556 :)
"Luxe, calme et volupte"

#25 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:27

I saw a box of 12 9668's go for $180 tonight. I was thinking, you know, with it being one of the more popular nibs, you could probably make a killing buying up a bunch of esties with nice bodies and swapping the nibs
"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

#26 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:00

A killing is maybe overstating it a bit.
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#27 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:15

A killing is maybe overstating it a bit.

LOL! Well, yeah....

1. Steal Estie Nibs
2. ...
3. Profit!

#28 esteroids

esteroids

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:23

I've used an Osmiroid medium italic in an SJ since I was a kid in the 1970's, and it's always been my favorite. It takes about 10 years to wear one into a round shape.

#29 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:44

I've used an Osmiroid medium italic in an SJ since I was a kid in the 1970's, and it's always been my favorite. It takes about 10 years to wear one into a round shape.

LOL! I'd love to see a picture.

I went and got myself a 9668 as a result of this discussion! I like it quite a but, but I'm frustrated with the pen itself right now so I can't fully evaluate the nib :glare:

#30 empyrean

empyrean

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2012 - 18:03

I haven't tried too terribly many myself, but right now I like:

I like the way it looks though I bet I'd like a thicker nib ultimately.
I'm sure y'all know this reference, but its handy: http://www.snyderfam...t/estienibs.htm

9460 and also the Gregg Shorthand nib!
empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

#31 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2012 - 14:19

Just received my first Esties, two J models and one LJ. One of them had a 9556 nib on it but it was really scratchy; the seller is going to either fix the nib or send me a replacement. I am also waiting to get a 9314B nib for my LJ to try out. The nibs I am using right now are a 2668 and a 1554. Both are very smooth, fun to write with. Oddly the 1550, which is listed on the Snyder Family nib page as a "Firm Fine Clerical" nib seems more like a medium or even a broad to me. I am using it with Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris ink; it is my first use of this ink so perhaps it has exceptional flow and makes a fine nib look like a medium?? (Not sure that is even possible, so I am just guessing!) Anyway, I am liking both of these nibs and from reading this thread looks as if I need to try out a 9668 as well, along with quite a few others.

What fun these Esties are - great nib choices and, IMHO, very nice looking pens, too.

Holly

Edited by OakIris, 26 April 2012 - 14:22.

#32 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 17:19

The 2314 B now, was the 2284 Broad Stub. I need to practice more with the 2314, the oblique takes some getting used to. Subbes, sorry but the 2048 on my Dollar pen is nice, I'll have to get more.

#33 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 18:36

I just got my 9668... but the pen isn't feeding right so I've got to get back to the seller too... same boat as you Holly

#34 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:59

I just got my 9668... but the pen isn't feeding right so I've got to get back to the seller too... same boat as you Holly

I'm sure we'll get it sorted soon! I should have my new or fixed 9556 and my 9314B nibs to play with next week.

I wanted to get the 9668 nib but my seller didn't have that particular nib. He actually sent me some extra nibs for free with my pens, including the 1554 which I am loving, so I have absolutely no complaints. :cloud9: Hope you can get your pen back in working order, too.

Holly

#35 nachodelamancha

nachodelamancha

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 14:09

Hands down, 9312 italic nib that's been worn just a touch - tons of variation, writes perfectly. They're so hard to find though! I just switched it over to a nice blue J from the Silver it's been in for the last two months.
Grail Pens:
Pilot Myu
Pilot Decimo

#36 rapid_butterfly

rapid_butterfly

Edged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 23:11

I just got my first Estie last week, an SJ, but I bought it b/c it has the 9550 nib - I like XF / XXF nibs. And I have to say the the SJ with this nib has become one of my all time favorites. A wonderful, wonderful pen.

-mina

My favorite is the 9550. I like an extra fine line and the Esterbrook 9550 fills the bill very smoothly.

-David.

Where your eyes go, the car goes. - Garth Stein

#37 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 00:37

Hands down, 9312 italic nib that's been worn just a touch - tons of variation, writes perfectly. They're so hard to find though! I just switched it over to a nice blue J from the Silver it's been in for the last two months.

Looks as if I have a whole lot more nibs to try out! I would love to try an italic nib, though I don't know that I have the penmanship that would do it justice.

I just got my first Estie last week, an SJ, but I bought it b/c it has the 9550 nib - I like XF / XXF nibs. And I have to say the the SJ with this nib has become one of my all time favorites. A wonderful, wonderful pen.

-mina

I was surprised at how smooth the fine 1554 was and may have to try an extra fine nib as well; certainly sounds as if you are enjoying the experience. :thumbup: These Esties are indeed wonderful pens. Don't think I could handle an XXF nib, but on the other hand, the few Estie nibs I have tried so far seem very nice, so maybe......

Holly

#38 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 15:36

Looks as if I have a whole lot more nibs to try out! I would love to try an italic nib, though I don't know that I have the penmanship that would do it justice.

Holly

Holly, part of the wide draw of Italics, especially Cursive italics and Stubs is that you Don't Have To have great penmanship for them to still add pizazz to your writing. You don't have to concentrate on what you are doing like you do with a flex nib.

IMO, you can also have yourself a much nicer edged Estie nib Ground than any of the stock ones and for cheaper usually too.

A 9668 ground to a CI can give you a wide Medium vertical line, a 9968 Broad even wider. (I find the 9668 makes a perfect CI/Stub myself.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL
Posted Image

#39 Biber

Biber

...but that was another lifetime

• Member - Gold

• 1,451 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 15:40

-mina

My favorite is the 9550. I like an extra fine line and the Esterbrook 9550 fills the bill very smoothly.

-David.

We really should start a 9550 club. First round is on me!
"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

#40 Biber

Biber

...but that was another lifetime

• Member - Gold

• 1,451 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 15:44

IMO, you can also have yourself a much nicer edged Estie nib Ground than any of the stock ones and for cheaper usually too.

A 9668 ground to a CI can give you a wide Medium vertical line, a 9968 Broad even wider. (I find the 9668 makes a perfect CI/Stub myself.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL
Posted Image

Great pic! I found that the 9668 has certain "stub-ish" qualities to begin with.
"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Sponsored Content

|