The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Favorite Estie Nib?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2012 - 00:47

I haven't tried too terribly many myself, but right now I like:

I like the way it looks though I bet I'd like a thicker nib ultimately.
I'm sure y'all know this reference, but its handy: http://www.snyderfam...t/estienibs.htm
"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Sponsored Content

#2 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,884 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:16

The 3xxx nibs have been for me the smoothest renew points I have tried, the sunburst engraving also is a big plus. Wish they were a little more affordable, but really they are on par with the price of modern interchangeable nibs, i.e.Pelikan and TWSBI.

9550, 9450, and 9668 are pretty commonly found in my Esties too!

Edited by JakobS, 26 March 2012 - 22:48.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#3 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:21

For me it's 9668 and 9968.
Regards,

Ray

#4 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:28

I'll take either the 2668 or 9668 for general writing, but I'm particularly fond of the 2313 or 9314 Medium Stub nibs. One (or two) more of those and I'm set for life.
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#5 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,731 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:37

9460 and 9668 for me-
Both medium, and I actually believe that the 9460 is the better of the two!

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

#6 Joe in Seattle

Joe in Seattle

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,517 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:16

1551 student nib. I used it in the 50's and 60's and still like it.
"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

#7 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:41

I'll take either the 2668 or 9668 for general writing, but I'm particularly fond of the 2313 or 9314 Medium Stub nibs. One (or two) more of those and I'm set for life.

Interesting! That's good news... as I just picked up a 2668 moments ago... :mellow:

#8 estie1948

estie1948

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,835 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:04

My favorite is the 9550. I like an extra fine line and the Esterbrook 9550 fills the bill very smoothly.

-David.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

#9 jrweaver

jrweaver

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2012 - 23:56

Love my 9668!
J. Weaver

I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

#10 Eduardo

Eduardo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2012 - 00:03

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!

#11 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:42

Hands down my Pendleton Point CI 9668's. Writing sample below.

Same 9668 for a stock nib too.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Posted Image

#12 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:28

Man, 9668 is a clear winner.

I'm certainly going to be on the lookout for one! I love it when things are so clear cut!

Thanks all!!!

#13 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• 4,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:26

So, here is the weird one: I have 3 2886s, and 2 9886. Wouldn't you know it - the 2886 nibs are pure winners, much smoother and less skippy than the 9886 nibs. Not that the 9s are bad, just not as good. And all five were NOS.

I realize with the tipping on a 9xxx nib you have some freedom to do a little more work, but unless you are going to write with only one or two pens, with Esterbrook nibs for the rest of your life, I'm not going to be worrying over "well, the 9xxx series will last longer than the 2xxx series..."

Well, all I can say is that the last year of me getting interested in Esterbrooks has been a lot more about the nibs than the pens. It has been pretty fun!
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#14 Sholom

Sholom

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 18:22

My current favorite is the 2442, but I've also got a 1550 (touched up by R. Binder), 9450, 9556, and 2284, and now that I adjusted the flow on the 9556 they will all rotate through.

#15 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2012 - 00:06

Does most everyone swap their nibs, or do you usually have an Estie for each? Right now I do an Estie for each just because they are really cheap...

#16 Biber

Biber

...but that was another lifetime

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:03

9550 has become my benchmark from which all other nibs are, albeit frustratingly, judged.
"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

#17 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,884 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:42

Does most everyone swap their nibs, or do you usually have an Estie for each? Right now I do an Estie for each just because they are really cheap...

Though I have enough Esties to have one nib for each, I tend to switch the nib around depending on what pen I feel like using that week or month. It nice to have the option of saying "I want to write with my SM Deluxe but with a medium nib", and a second later be doing so. I find that I do get bored with a nib after awhile, and enjoy trying a different one, perhaps this is enhanced in knowing I can very well do so! With Esties I go with variety versus having many of one model, so getting a feel for each nib within each model is helpful in figuring out what nib I want to write with in a given pen
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#18 JPING97

JPING97

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:43

I have heard great things about the 9668 and I am planing on getting one

#19 subbes

subbes

Vintage flex junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2012 - 00:27

2048 Flexible Falcon. But I'm the only one that nib will ever be any good for, so don't even try to buy one or bid against me for any of them.

Nuh-uh.

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

Posted Image

#20 kathleen

kathleen

Simple Things Matter Most

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 00:53

For a bit of artistic flourish I like writing with a 9788; I feel some flex with this nib and I can achieve some line width variation when using it. I will use the 9788 in personal correspondence but the majority of the time, at work, for general writing I prefer the 9668. I have a heavy hand, most likely cultivated from too many years of using crayons, pencils and ballpoints. When I use a finer nib, such as the 9550, it feels scratchy until I remind myself to lessen the downward pressure.

Edited by kathleen, 31 March 2012 - 01:00.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Sponsored Content

|