Private Reserve Dc Super Violet

Lothianjavert

I was looking for a vivid purple ink the other week and this was one of the recommended ones. I couldn't make up my mind as to which purple, until I noticed that the DC Super Violet was on sale at Goulet for 10.00 for the big bottle. That was it, it would be the one. Here is a quick review. It does feather on cheap paper (I also like very wet writers, so that also contributes).

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9594/dcvioletinkreview.jpg

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/1762/dcvioletinkreviewblurb.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• klw

• raging.dragon

• WOBentley

Nice review, love this ink.

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11

+1 on each.

I bought bottle a few days ago too. Have to compare this with the new Visconti violet or purple whatever it's called as V. doesn't go to the trouble of labelling their inks.

I also didn't know that this PR is (or once was?) a LE ink for 2011. There still appears to be a few bottles around.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I also think this is a great ink too! Nice review... Thanks!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Duplicate post!

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I love this ink too. It is, to me, the very essence of PURPLE - shouting intended - and has been one of my daily drivers since it hit the market.

I'm not sure, but I believe that this was to be a limited edition. You might want to grab some now while you still can.

How does it compare to PR's Purple Mojo (an ink I'm finding I like a whole lot)?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

+1 on each.

I bought bottle a few days ago too. Have to compare this with the new Visconti violet or purple whatever it's called as V. doesn't go to the trouble of labelling their inks.

I also didn't know that this PR is (or once was?) a LE ink for 2011. There still appears to be a few bottles around.

Mike

As serendipity goes, Mike, I was in New York at Art Brown on the day they received their ink from Visconti, and AB had affixed a label with "Purple" on it to the top of the plastic container for the ink bottle. Did they take a cue from the invoice? Not sure, but let's go with "Purple" even though the ink in my bottle looks more violet than purple.

+1 on each.

Mike

... but let's go with "Purple" even though the ink in my bottle looks more violet than purple.

PenTieRun, I'll buy that (what you say above, since I already have the two groaning at me from the shelves).... I always label my inks' bottles on the front, e.g. Diamine's, Stipula's and Noodler's. It's pity that V. doesn't even come in boxes anymore. Or the PR DC Super Violet, either....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

How does it compare to PR's Purple Mojo (an ink I'm finding I like a whole lot)?

In my pens, on my papers, Purple Mojo is a a touch more to the red side. I went thru a full bottle of Mojo but then starting having feed problems. That was with two different bottles bought from two different, reputable on-line sellers. Hopefully that has been resolved as Mojo is a very nice color. I do, however, prefer the Super Violet.

DC Show Violet is wonderful. I love it. The perfect purple.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Not to be the lone dissenter but I found it a bit feathery. Better diluted 4:1 but still. And, was bound to happen, my first demo pen staining in a blue Pelikan M205. What I'm trying to figure out is how it got between the piston's two sealing points. No ink there, no water after cleaning, but a residue on the barrel. I say residue since JB flush (from the spring cleaning inkdrop) completely cleared the barrel itself of all purple. The bit up around between the nib holder sleeve and the grip, that was going to grab the first ink no matter what color.

Nice color, though. If you like the DC blues, this is your violet. I also like it with a little sheaffer red to tilt it towards the purple.

Not to be the lone dissenter but I found it a bit feathery. Better diluted 4:1 but still. And, was bound to happen, my first demo pen staining in a blue Pelikan M205. What I'm trying to figure out is how it got between the piston's two sealing points. No ink there, no water after cleaning, but a residue on the barrel. I say residue since JB flush (from the spring cleaning inkdrop) completely cleared the barrel itself of all purple. The bit up around between the nib holder sleeve and the grip, that was going to grab the first ink no matter what color.

Nice color, though. If you like the DC blues, this is your violet. I also like it with a little sheaffer red to tilt it towards the purple.

I don't recall any feathering with DC super violet, even with broad wet nibs; however, I've also mostly used it on paper which resists feathering. I have noticed some residue on a converter. Otherwise, I've only used this ink in (unstainable) titanium and stirling silver pens.

I had the problem with a middling to dry F nib (the pelikan, mottishaw did a nice job taming the flow) on decent copy paper and good (made in Turkey) moleskine. I don't really know anything that feathers on rhodia or clairfontaine other than the little known noodlers summer tanager (from feb's inkdrop) or maybe 1st gen BSB.

I've accumulated a few PR inks now and will have to check reviews but I hope they're not all hard to use on "plain paper". DCSSEB is, but I've yet to try the ones I got for mixes: Tanzanite, Blue Suede, American Blue, Shoreline Gold. The American blue when it was in a vial didn't cling -at all- to the walls which I rarely see with any ink. High hopes for that, and a nice color. Probably will mix with this SS violet or tanzanite at some point.

The weird part is how the color, but apparently no liquid ink, got past the first piston seal.

In my pens, on my papers, Purple Mojo is a a touch more to the red side. I went thru a full bottle of Mojo but then starting having feed problems. That was with two different bottles bought from two different, reputable on-line sellers. Hopefully that has been resolved as Mojo is a very nice color. I do, however, prefer the Super Violet.

Actually, I was hoping you'd describe the different properties of the two inks, not just the color. Or is there much difference in behavior or permanence?

Thanks.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

very nice ink, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time