The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Profit 30Th Anniversary Briarwood

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:36

The pen arrived in the nice box as you can see. The presentation is excellent for this pen. A bottle of ink and a cleaning cloth came with the package.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is the pen. Briarwood has a nice feel to it and the pen is well balanced unposted. I don't post pens in general; I will never post on this pen as I don't want to risk marrring the finish.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I appreciate the details Sailor incorporated in this pen.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The nib is M. A very smooth nib. No issue there. I did the dip test with WM Florida Blue. Based on the dip test, the nib / feed is not too wet, not too dry. Well controlled flow.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is a great addition to my other briarwood fountain pens.
Posted Image
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:50

Beautiful!

Congratulations, you have an impressive collection. The pen in the group photo, third from the top, is that a yaku-sugi cedarwood pen?

How do the briar from Platinum and Sailor compare?

Best
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:00

Beautiful!

Congratulations, you have an impressive collection. The pen in the group photo, third from the top, is that a yaku-sugi cedarwood pen?

How do the briar from Platinum and Sailor compare?

Best
Hari

Yes, the 3rd one is Platinum #3776 Yakusugi. I am planning to do a review on this pen in the near future.
Both Sailor and Platinum's briarwood pens are not treated with some lacqer. So, I can feel the natural wood texture. The fact each pen is unique is very interesting. Both Sailor and Platinum pens are great to hold in the hand and I am hard pressed to pick a favorite, as they are all great writers based on the dip test. Nibs are excellent as well.

Edited by Pen2009, 24 March 2012 - 07:28.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#4 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• 1,532 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 14:43

Beautiful pens, and the Sailor Profit is just stunning. I think my favorite thing about Sailor pens, besides that wonderfully smooth nib, is the cap band. There's something special about it. It's like jewelry, it's so beautiful, and the Sailor Profit cap band and clip are even better.
Tamara

#5 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2012 - 17:06

Incredible. I have quite a number of Sailor pens, but wow, if I ever won one of these on
an auction, I still would not bear to use it... It's so lovely. I also like the Yakusugi... I'm
starting low on these wood pens - I just got a Chizusugi Sapporo.

#6 rokurinpapa

rokurinpapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:28

Thank you for your nice review and good photos. The pen has no lacquer. So we can enjoy the aging.
Mine has become darker now .

rokurinpapa

#7 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:35

Thank you for your nice review and good photos. The pen has no lacquer. So we can enjoy the aging.

rokurinpapa

Would you mind posting a picture of your pen, along with comments on how often you have been using it (or how many months you've been using it)? I would be interested in seeing how the briarwood ages with regular usage (or infrequent usage over the course of many months or years).

#8 rokurinpapa

rokurinpapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2012 - 15:27

rokurinpapa

Would you mind posting a picture of your pen, along with comments on how often you have been using it (or how many months you've been using it)? I would be interested in seeing how the briarwood ages with regular usage (or infrequent usage over the course of many months or years).

2 pictures.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I bought it in March,2011. Only about 1 year passed , but I polished the briar well using leather balsam, Renapur made in Germany .

rokurinpapa

#9 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,664 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 16:55

Beautiful pen as well as nice photos of the details, enjoyed looking.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

#10 Evergreen

Evergreen

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2012 - 20:18

Wow. Beautiful pen. I got in to the idea of fountain pens because they were more Ecological. Wood pens like this enhance that connection with nature. Where did you buy, and what other wood pens are highlights of your collection?

#11 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:59

2 pictures.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I bought it in March,2011. Only about 1 year passed , but I polished the briar well using leather balsam, Renapur made in Germany .

rokurinpapa

Thank you. Those pictures show this pen will "age" very gracefully. Not too dark; not too light; but, just right.

#12 gauravinsan

gauravinsan

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2012 - 19:38

your collection can make anyone jealous

#13 Sidestreaker

Sidestreaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 17:09

I've always been wondering how is the texture like on this Anniversary Pen, thank you for sharing and enjoy in good health. That is a very nice piece and fantastic collection you have there indeed!
My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

Posted Image

#14 rbadger332

rbadger332

Old New Stock

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 17:43

Egads! Gorgeous pen. IS making me question whether my HS will be my lasy purchase....Uhhohh. I can feel a rolling pin wielded by the wife in my future.

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

#15 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 18:24

Beautiful pen and I have really liked how this pen has aged. A nice before and after shot.

rbadger332 - maybe you can make a pen out of the rolling pin instead of using it as a weapon. :roflmho:

Egads! Gorgeous pen. IS making me question whether my HS will be my lasy purchase....Uhhohh. I can feel a rolling pin wielded by the wife in my future.

#16 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:23

rbadger332 - maybe you can make a pen out of the rolling pin instead of using it as a weapon. :roflmho:

I think that is not his call. His wife calls her shot on that one, I believe.

#17 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:22

I had to get another one of this pen. Here you go.:)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

There are some variations in the grain pattern as expected in the natural wood product. My new addition is slightly darker than my first one. Both of them are engraved with a serial number (one of 1000, that is).

Edited by Pen2009, 09 July 2012 - 10:59.

#18 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2012 - 19:54

really nice looking pen :thumbup: too bad it ain't a piston filler
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#19 Tancred

Tancred

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 23:09

My money is mine, not my wife's. She has her job and I have mine - we share household costs and what is left is ours to do with as we wish.

Sponsored Content

|