Visconti Day

danygr1974

Dante del Vecchio, chairman of Visconti, has given to the members of the italian fountain pen forum, the possibility to visit his production factory.

This visit is scheduled for the 13 of April.

In this occasion we have the possibilities to ask to him everything about his pens.

As the administrator of the italian forum I want to extend this possibility to the members of the fountain pen network.

Write in this topic any question you want to ask. I take note and I will forward questions to him.

The answers will be reported after the visit.

Edited by danygr1974

Daniele.

Admin of the Italian Fountain Pen Forum (Come to meet us!)

Nihil est magnum somnianti

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• raging.dragon

• delvecchio

• fabrimedeiros

Yaaaaaay!

It seems many of the Visconti pens are coming out with odd body shapes that aren't convenient for long sessions, such as the Medina and Mecca, which I skipped buying. Are there any plans to return to graceful, user-friendly shapes such as the Ripples and Romanicas?

A lot of the higher end limited editions seem restricted to the stain prone white resin and gold furniture. Are there plans for larger sized pens in pretty colors? Silver furniture?

My greatest sorrow was the end of the old Van Gogh Maxi line, which represented MB 149 writing performance in gorgeous colors without finicky fill systems. The steel-nibbed Rembrandts are NOT what I'm looking for. Any plans for something the size of the LARGE Homo Sapiens in anything other than lava? I guess I'm one of the few who don't like the line and haven't bought a Visconti since it came out. I WANT BIG PENS IN GORGEOUS COLORS!!!

Any plans to add oblique nibs to the line? I would adore an oblique stub on something the size of a Romanica in fantastic color. Until then, I find myself buying the gorgeous LE Delta stubs in stunning colors that Bryant is offering.

COLOR???

LARGE SIZE ROUND PENS without wierd step downs to the section? Please shoot the designer who came up with squaring the circle nonsense that's uncomfortable. :ph34r:

An oblique 1.3 stub? :notworthy1:

Any chance to introduce ink windows on the future pens ? That's a huge concern for me.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I agree to almost everything Ghost Plane said, except that I do like the Homo Sapiens and I don't have any problems with squaring the circle, my Operas are very comfortable to me.

HOWEVER, in the 5 weeks I have been on FPN I have already read far too many complaints about Visconti's lacking Quality Control, especially with regard to the Homo Sapiens. That does not befit a company like Visconti and it does not befit a € 400+ fountain pen that, when it functions properly, is an excellent writing instrument. It is not why I started buying Visconti pens some 10 years ago.

Why does Bryant design much nicer Ripples than Visconti itself? I think the blue Ripple is a matter of taste, but I won't bother you with what I would do for a transparent/silver Ripple from Chatterley.

When can we expect a new Ripple issue?

Cheers,

Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

I agree to almost everything Ghost Plane said, except that I do like the Homo Sapiens and I don't have any problems with squaring the circle, my Operas are very comfortable to me.

HOWEVER, in the 5 weeks I have been on FPN I have already read far too many complaints about Visconti's lacking Quality Control, especially with regard to the Homo Sapiens. That does not befit a company like Visconti and it does not befit a € 400+ fountain pen that, when it functions properly, is an excellent writing instrument. It is not why I started buying Visconti pens some 10 years ago.

Why does Bryant design much nicer Ripples than Visconti itself? I think the blue Ripple is a matter of taste, but I won't bother you with what I would do for a transparent/silver Ripple from Chatterley.

When can we expect a new Ripple issue?

Cheers,

Peter

I have to echo concerns about the Quality Control issues at Visconti. Being at the recieving end of one of these faulty pens, I would like to know what Visconti plans on doing to correct thier QC inspections. My current expirience with the working pen I've got now would lead me to be a repeat customer, if it wasn't for the pen before it being a pain in my rump. As the prior poster said, that does not befit such a small company producing pens of this calibre and price.

Edited by rbadger332

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

Hi Dany :) I'm Rogozin on the italian forum, just saying hi and thanking you for the organization of such event, which you guys gave me the chance to attend to. I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Here are the production pens I'd most like to see from Visconti:

1. A Divina variant available in both midi and maxi sizes with an ink window and a power filler (either single or double resevoir).

2. A squaring the circle line available in Opera Master (with resin blind cap, please) and Wallstreet sizes, again with an ink window and a power filler (either single or double resevoir).

I'd like both to be available with choice of gold or rhodium trim in black or clear plastic, and additionally in a variety of colourful plastics with and trim to match (gold, rhodium, ruthenium, rose gold, etc. - whatever looks best with each resin). The coloured resins could be change frequently to keep the lineup fresh. Coloured demonstrators would be a nice option as well.

Yaaaaaay!

It seems many of the Visconti pens are coming out with odd body shapes that aren't convenient for long sessions, such as the Medina and Mecca, which I skipped buying. Are there any plans to return to graceful, user-friendly shapes such as the Ripples and Romanicas?

A lot of the higher end limited editions seem restricted to the stain prone white resin and gold furniture. Are there plans for larger sized pens in pretty colors? Silver furniture?

My greatest sorrow was the end of the old Van Gogh Maxi line, which represented MB 149 writing performance in gorgeous colors without finicky fill systems. The steel-nibbed Rembrandts are NOT what I'm looking for. Any plans for something the size of the LARGE Homo Sapiens in anything other than lava? I guess I'm one of the few who don't like the line and haven't bought a Visconti since it came out. I WANT BIG PENS IN GORGEOUS COLORS!!!

Any plans to add oblique nibs to the line? I would adore an oblique stub on something the size of a Romanica in fantastic color. Until then, I find myself buying the gorgeous LE Delta stubs in stunning colors that Bryant is offering.

COLOR???

LARGE SIZE ROUND PENS without wierd step downs to the section? Please shoot the designer who came up with squaring the circle nonsense that's uncomfortable. :ph34r:

An oblique 1.3 stub? :notworthy1:

I can accept that acquiring celluloid is too expensive, how about some nice colourful acrylic? Like the new Van Goghs. I'd love to see colours like that in the big Viscontis.

I actually like the squaring the circle designs. But like the triangular OMAS 360, the shape is great for people and terrible for others. To avoid alienating the latter group Visconti should maintain a good selection of more traditional round and/or faceted pens. Rather like OMAS did, offering the Ogiva and Arte Italiana alongside the 360.

An oblique 1.3 stub is a nib I'd have to try. I enjoy the big Viconti stubs for ink testing and special occassions, though they're too big and too wet for me use as daily writers.

Any chance to introduce ink windows on the future pens ? That's a huge concern for me.

For non cartridge/converter pens I also like to have an ink window. As it happens I have 10 Viscontis and 8 of them have ink windows!

Raging Dragon : woah ! Let me rephrase it then : on every piston/plunger pen, there should be an ink window.

I only happen to have 2 Visconti pens, the Homo Sapiens and the Forbidden City, and they don't have one :'(

Raging Dragon : woah ! Let me rephrase it then : on every piston/plunger pen, there should be an ink window.

I only happen to have 2 Visconti pens, the Homo Sapiens and the Forbidden City, and they don't have one :'(

Honestly I can't imagine the Homo Sapiens with an ink window without changing substantially its line and solidity.

I completely agree. So far as I know, the Viscontis with ink windows are: all double resevoir power filler Viscontis, the Divina based LE's with the push pull touchdown filler, and the Michaelangelo Grande LE (which seems to be the only pen with a single resevoir power filler and an ink window).

Honestly I can't imagine the Homo Sapiens with an ink window without changing substantially its line and solidity.

I think a small ink window like that used on the Divina LE's would look OK on the Homo Sapiens.

Dante del Vecchio, chairman of Visconti, has given to the members of the italian fountain pen forum, the possibility to visit his production factory.

This visit is scheduled for the 13 of April.

In this occasion we have the possibilities to ask to him everything about his pens.

As the administrator of the italian forum I want to extend this possibility to the members of the fountain pen network.

Write in this topic any question you want to ask. I take note and I will forward questions to him.

The answers will be reported after the visit.

Firstly, thank you!

Within the past year, I have had a discussion about pens with both a fellow consumer/collector, as well as a dealer/retailer. Both individuals mentioned the same concern regarding Visconti, that marketing has become more important than quality control and quality assurance. No disrespect or criticism intended, rather, input for mr. Del vechio's consideration.

I think a small ink window like that used on the Divina LE's would look OK on the Homo Sapiens.

I see, but nevertheless I wonder whether an ink window like that is more fragile and prone to cracks.

Some people here reported that their Delta Dolce Vita Piston broke after a short fall on the ground or the carpet, just where the ink window is inserted between the section and the barrel. Perhaps it would be better a pair of opposite holes to check the ink level against the light (as in the Lamy pens, say), instead of splitting up the body into two pieces and weakening one of HS's main features (i.e. "resilience").

By the way, I prefer HS as it is. :)

And I could care less about ink windows. Different strokes... :rolleyes:

Maybe they should hire Bryant as a consultant for design work? :hmm1:

Maybe they should hire Bryant as a consultant for design work? :hmm1:

+1

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

I see, but nevertheless I wonder whether an ink window like that is more fragile and prone to cracks.

Some people here reported that their Delta Dolce Vita Piston broke after a short fall on the ground or the carpet, just where the ink window is inserted between the section and the barrel. Perhaps it would be better a pair of opposite holes to check the ink level against the light (as in the Lamy pens, say), instead of splitting up the body into two pieces and weakening one of HS's main features (i.e. "resilience").

By the way, I prefer HS as it is. :)

It all depends on how the window is built into the pen. If the window is round, there is less of a chance of the pen breaking. If it has corners, there is a greater risk. The reason is that a corner directs the stress put on the pen to one or two spots when it is dropped, creating a crack and breaking the pen upon impact. However, a round hole doesn't concentrate the stress in one area, letting the entire section and barrel take the fall, possibly saving the pen.

A similar failure-mode happened on an Airplane called the de Havilland Comet. They made the plane with square windows, but through repeated take offs and landings, the metal around the windows cracked at the corners. This lead the manufacturer to replace the square windows with oval ones, and all future commercial aircraft have been designed that way since.

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

An ink window doesn't have to be all around the barrel. It could be inserts (shaped a bit like the ovoid holes on the Safari for instance).

It's a real nuisance to notice your pen is running out of ink... when it's already empty ;)

I understand that some piston pens really cannot have an ink window. The Homo Sapiens with an ink window would ruin its design and original purpose (to be solid as a rock). I also really like ink windows, but some few pens can't have them.

I would like to see a cheap but nice overlay pen that goes for around 200-300. I reckon that would sell really well from Visconti.

yea I'm a uni student and I can't afford to fork out like 600 bucks for a nice overlay wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :(

I actually prefer the 23k palladium nib over the 14k nib, but for the cheap overlay, I guess 14k will have to do.