The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Private Reserve Sepia

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Miles R.

Miles R.

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:02

very nice shade of sepia indeed. unfortunately, i have stopped buying private reserve for the the fact that many of their colors develop some sort of goo or slime overtime. and it is drier than i would have liked. but still, very nice color.

Hmm, that's curious. I haven't seen any of the bottles in my possession develop goo, but I once bought an old bottle of Private Reserve Midnight Blues from someone that turned out to contain gouts of it. I assumed at the time that it was a mishap peculiar to that bottle or perhaps that ink. Now you have me a bit concerned about the several bottles of the brand in my possession. I will be on the lookout for that in the future.

Sponsored Content

#22 rudyhou

rudyhou

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:49

very nice shade of sepia indeed. unfortunately, i have stopped buying private reserve for the the fact that many of their colors develop some sort of goo or slime overtime. and it is drier than i would have liked. but still, very nice color.

Hmm, that's curious. I haven't seen any of the bottles in my possession develop goo, but I once bought an old bottle of Private Reserve Midnight Blues from someone that turned out to contain gouts of it. I assumed at the time that it was a mishap peculiar to that bottle or perhaps that ink. Now you have me a bit concerned about the several bottles of the brand in my possession. I will be on the lookout for that in the future.

let's hope it won't turn out that way. i'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to all colors.
-rudy-

#23 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 21:54

thx for the review. it might be the ink i need for my dip nibs.
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#24 fxfb60

fxfb60

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 16:53

Yikes! I have been having massive problems with this ink. I LOOOOVE the shading + color. But maybe I need to replace my bottle with the Noodler's? I wonder if Diamine has anything similar?

Yes, Diamine has a great Golden Brown, my favorite, along with several variations of sepia/brown worth a go

#25 coyotewhisper

coyotewhisper

What do you mean you don't have an Esterbrook!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 18:19

For your first review you have done a superior and through detailed report. I enjoy using Private Reserve ink, have never had an issue with it. I would be leery of using this ink in my pens. I'm glad you posted a fair balance review of the ink.
God is my Strength.
Brad Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 Miles R.

Miles R.

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 19:03

For your first review you have done a superior and through detailed report. I enjoy using Private Reserve ink, have never had an issue with it. I would be leery of using this ink in my pens. I'm glad you posted a fair balance review of the ink.

Thanks. The review is from a year ago. As I look at it now, I am embarrassed to see that I rated this ink "very good" for both lubrication and flow. I don't think I had sufficient experience, either with it or with other inks, to make any rating at that time, and I would now rate it "poor" for lubrication and "fair" for flow. It is a decidedly "dry" ink. I wish that I could correct the review on those points, but the time for that is past.

#27 freddy77

freddy77

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2013 - 18:39

Miles, it is still a superb review. I just purchased Private Reserve's Vampire Red and while I think the color is fantastic, the ink is so dry that the flow becomes almost non-existent in the two pens I've tried it in, a Pilot Metropolitan and a Reform 1745. Also, I found very heavy nib creep with the Vampire Red. Did you find the the same with the Sepia?

I have never tried diluting an ink with water. I wonder if it would change the color of Vampire Red very much. :hmm1:
freddy77

Sponsored Content

|