#21 Miles R.

Miles R.

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:02

very nice shade of sepia indeed. unfortunately, i have stopped buying private reserve for the the fact that many of their colors develop some sort of goo or slime overtime. and it is drier than i would have liked. but still, very nice color.

Hmm, that's curious. I haven't seen any of the bottles in my possession develop goo, but I once bought an old bottle of Private Reserve Midnight Blues from someone that turned out to contain gouts of it. I assumed at the time that it was a mishap peculiar to that bottle or perhaps that ink. Now you have me a bit concerned about the several bottles of the brand in my possession. I will be on the lookout for that in the future.

#22 rudyhou

rudyhou

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:49

very nice shade of sepia indeed. unfortunately, i have stopped buying private reserve for the the fact that many of their colors develop some sort of goo or slime overtime. and it is drier than i would have liked. but still, very nice color.

Hmm, that's curious. I haven't seen any of the bottles in my possession develop goo, but I once bought an old bottle of Private Reserve Midnight Blues from someone that turned out to contain gouts of it. I assumed at the time that it was a mishap peculiar to that bottle or perhaps that ink. Now you have me a bit concerned about the several bottles of the brand in my possession. I will be on the lookout for that in the future.

let's hope it won't turn out that way. i'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to all colors.
-rudy-

#23 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 21:54

thx for the review. it might be the ink i need for my dip nibs.
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#24 fxfb60

fxfb60

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 16:53

Yikes! I have been having massive problems with this ink. I LOOOOVE the shading + color. But maybe I need to replace my bottle with the Noodler's? I wonder if Diamine has anything similar?

Yes, Diamine has a great Golden Brown, my favorite, along with several variations of sepia/brown worth a go

#25 coyotewhisper

coyotewhisper

What do you mean you don't have an Esterbrook!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 18:19

For your first review you have done a superior and through detailed report. I enjoy using Private Reserve ink, have never had an issue with it. I would be leery of using this ink in my pens. I'm glad you posted a fair balance review of the ink.
God is my Strength.
Brad Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 Miles R.

Miles R.

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 19:03

For your first review you have done a superior and through detailed report. I enjoy using Private Reserve ink, have never had an issue with it. I would be leery of using this ink in my pens. I'm glad you posted a fair balance review of the ink.

Thanks. The review is from a year ago. As I look at it now, I am embarrassed to see that I rated this ink "very good" for both lubrication and flow. I don't think I had sufficient experience, either with it or with other inks, to make any rating at that time, and I would now rate it "poor" for lubrication and "fair" for flow. It is a decidedly "dry" ink. I wish that I could correct the review on those points, but the time for that is past.

#27 freddy77

freddy77

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2013 - 18:39

Miles, it is still a superb review. I just purchased Private Reserve's Vampire Red and while I think the color is fantastic, the ink is so dry that the flow becomes almost non-existent in the two pens I've tried it in, a Pilot Metropolitan and a Reform 1745. Also, I found very heavy nib creep with the Vampire Red. Did you find the the same with the Sepia?

I have never tried diluting an ink with water. I wonder if it would change the color of Vampire Red very much. :hmm1:
freddy77