The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Legacy Heritage Interrupted Barleycorn Gt

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2012 - 18:46

When I first saw the Sheaffer PFM I will admit that I was not all that impressed and it was long after the PFM had ceased production and dealers were really begging folk to clean out the old inventory that I bought my first one.

Note that I said first because the design simply grows on you and you find that no matter how much you resist, somehow it's necessary to get just one more.

The 70s came and went and the 80s and most of the 90s, and Sheaffer introduced the Legacy, a modern interpretation of the 1959-1968 PFM and so I just had to add one more.

But there was no snorkel and it was heavy and it just didn't feel the same and how could Sheaffer screw up a work of art and the closest thing to the perfect pen ever made and ...

... time passed and I began to notice how balanced the pen was and that it wrote just like a Sheaffer is supposed to write and it was smooth and looked great and ... was being used more often then my PFMs.

Maybe this isn't heresy, maybe they did know what they were doing, maybe I do need another Legacy

and then Legacy 2

and then Legacy Heritage, and soon I found I had more Legacy series pens and used the Legacy series pens far more then my PFMs.

Posted Image

From top to bottom: PFMV, two Legacy and then two Legacy 2s.

So far in this series of reviews we've looked at the plain Sterling Silver Legacy GT as seen in the center above and the Legacy Heritage Sterling Silver Victorian and now let's turn to one that came out about a year before the Victorian, the Legacy Heritage Interrupted Barleycorn GT.

Posted Image

As you can see it is a simple design of barleycorn guilloche interrupted by sold plain bars. Like all Sheaffer pens the look is timeless and classic, simple yet never boring, changing with the light and surroundings, becoming more than just a tool.

Posted Image

It has the classic Sheaffer inlaid nib, is a cartridge converter (still using the old press bar squeeze converter), is boringly reliable, utterly smooth, great control, balance and feedback, just another near perfect pen.

Posted Image

The nib on this one is a medium and like most Sheaffer mediums, very close to true width and a moderately wet writer. Right now it's filled with some Sheaffer Blue/Black ink that may even be older than the pen itself.

Posted Image

So, if the Plain Sterling is too plain, and the Victorian too fancy, maybe the Barleycorn GT will be just right.

Edited by jar, 21 March 2012 - 18:52.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2012 - 18:53

Nice pen! thanks for sharing Jar.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 19:19

Jar, I have always wanted that exact pen, but have never been able to justify the price. I have an old Targa with a barleycorn silver-plated finish, and it catches any light in a most attractive way - it sort of sparkles, even after over 25 years.

Thanks for the review and beautiful pics!

#4 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2012 - 19:45

Jar, I have always wanted that exact pen, but have never been able to justify the price. I have an old Targa with a barleycorn silver-plated finish, and it catches any light in a most attractive way - it sort of sparkles, even after over 25 years.

Thanks for the review and beautiful pics!

Keep your eyes open for one of the Legacy Heritage versions used. I've seen a few of them show up. The earlier Legacy version seems to crop up really seldom. There is also a version with the Platinum or Chrome trim instead of the GT.

My Website

#5 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:28

I have a plain Legacy Stirling (with stub nib too :)), and the interupted barleycorn (in Legacy or Legacy Heritage form) is tempting. I have mixed feelings about the two Victorian LE's. It's not that I find them too busy, rather while I like both the ornate victorian engraving and the mid century modern design of the PFM and Legacy series, for me the two clash when combined. Now put the engraving on a pen like the YoL Viceroy Grand or a stirling Conway Stewart... :puddle: .

Edited by raging.dragon, 22 March 2012 - 07:29.

#6 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:15

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#7 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2012 - 22:24

I have never used a PFM but I have a Legacy I, the same model as the 2nd Legacy down in your first picture. It is one of those pens that are great to write with and which you know will start first time, all the time and can be relied on.
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

#8 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2012 - 22:58

I have never used a PFM but I have a Legacy I, the same model as the 2nd Legacy down in your first picture. It is one of those pens that are great to write with and which you know will start first time, all the time and can be relied on.

Is yours the Black Laque with the Brushed Gold cap or the Sterling Silver?

So far I've never had any problem with any of my Legacy, Legacy 2 or Legacy Heritage pens. As I said above, they are boringly reliable.

My Website

#9 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2012 - 23:05

So far I've never had any problem with any of my Legacy, Legacy 2 or Legacy Heritage pens. As I said above, they are boringly reliable.

It's the black laque with brushed gold cap (model 842). The only thing that I am not 100% about is the brushed gold finish. I much prefer the rolled gold cap finish of my Imperial VIII which looks like a thinner cousin of this Legacy.
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

#10 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2012 - 23:22

It's the black laque with brushed gold cap (model 842). The only thing that I am not 100% about is the brushed gold finish. I much prefer the rolled gold cap finish of my Imperial VIII which looks like a thinner cousin of this Legacy.

The Brushed Gold has kinda grown on me; there is also a Legacy Heritage that is all brushed gold finish and so far it's been just like all the others, just flat out classic Sheaffer reliable even though it is one of the ones made in the Czech Republic.

My Website

#11 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• 1,532 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 23:49

I just bought a Legacy Heritage in deep-cut palladium, and I'm loving mine :) They really are nice pens.
Tamara

#12 dweit

dweit

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2012 - 00:09

Very nice. On a visit to the most recent Fountain Pen Hospital Open House, I entered with a shopping/wish list of perhaps half a dozen pens, none of which was a Sheaffer Legacy, yet that is what I walked out with, and have no regrets. One dip at the Sheaffer counter (as a courtesy to the very nice Sheaffer rep in attendance) both surprised and sold me. Super smooth and, well, just nice. The way you hope every fp will feel on first try. And it hasn't let me down since. Well balanced and just a great nib.

#13 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2012 - 00:17

Very nice. On a visit to the most recent Fountain Pen Hospital Open House, I entered with a shopping/wish list of perhaps half a dozen pens, none of which was a Sheaffer Legacy, yet that is what I walked out with, and have no regrets. One dip at the Sheaffer counter (as a courtesy to the very nice Sheaffer rep in attendance) both surprised and sold me. Super smooth and, well, just nice. The way you hope every fp will feel on first try. And it hasn't let me down since. Well balanced and just a great nib.

Neat. Which version did you get?

My Website

#14 dweit

dweit

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2012 - 00:27

I guess it would be a Legacy 2, Palladium, same as your 2nd from bottom in the picture of 5, with a medium nib

#15 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2012 - 00:45

I guess it would be a Legacy 2, Palladium, same as your 2nd from bottom in the picture of 5, with a medium nib

The color may be off a little in that photo I fear, the next to bottom is the Lined Gold Jim Gaston Special Edition and the bottom is a Black Laque with the bright Palladium cap.

My Website

#16 dweit

dweit

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:25

The color may be off a little in that photo I fear, the next to bottom is the Lined Gold Jim Gaston Special Edition and the bottom is a Black Laque with the bright Palladium cap.

Ah, well mine sure wouldn't be that! Just a plain old silver palladium. Interesting though, I knew there were a whole slew of Jim Gaston special edition Bexleys, but wasn't aware of Sheaffers.

#17 BillLS

BillLS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:31

I'm rather fond of the black pens with palladium caps. Here is my set, a PFM-IV along with one each of the three Legacy series.
Posted Image

Bill Sexauer
PCA+++Logo+small.jpgBlk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpgCP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

#18 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:45

That is certainly tie and tails uptown.

My Website

#19 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2012 - 18:52

jar

another great review of a very nice pen. I actually have one of these and have been using it for the last few weeks. Absolutely love the feel of the silver and a great writing instrument.

regards

#20 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2012 - 14:24

jar

another great review of a very nice pen. I actually have one of these and have been using it for the last few weeks. Absolutely love the feel of the silver and a great writing instrument.

regards

Glad you like it. Which converter are you using in it, the older squeeze or newer piston?

My Website

Sponsored Content

|