Pilot 78G: Short first review

BillTheEditor

I just bought one from Stationery Art for $7.45 (no affiliation, of course) - I didn't know it before ordering, but it seems to be a place in Hong Kong (?). They say it shipped, and to be patient. I hope it wasn't a ruse...

They're legit. I bought one from them and planning another purchase of the B nib. :thumbup:

Then maybe I'll order another. Or two....

Thanks for the reassurances.

It does take time to arrive, and they don't notify you of shipping. But I've bought from them a couple of times and I'm very pleased with the 78G pens. I think these pens may no longer be in production, so you may want to order a spare or two

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillTheEditor

• adallak

• His Nibs

• Tweel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just found out about these. I see that pokydady is selling them for $9.99 including shipping. That price sounds good.

My favorite non-fountain pen to use is the Pilot G-2 gel pen with 0.7mm tip. Does the 78g fountain feel similar? If so, which nib would be comparable to 0.7mm?

Thanks.

Pokydady also sells 4 pens for $29.00 with shipping less than $5.00. I usually try to buy some once a month to use as giveaway pens. I do love the broad, though. It makes my writing almost acceptable.

The RavenLunatic.....

The RavenLunatic

Semper insanit omnes tempore.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a second Pilot 78G from www.isellpens.com for only $17.99. So, it looks like I did quite well saving some money. I can't afford the prices on Norm's site. No affiliation with isellpens but just another satisfied customer.

I just bought one from Stationery Art for $7.45 (no affiliation, of course) - I didn't know it before ordering, but it seems to be a place in Hong Kong (?). They say it shipped, and to be patient. I hope it wasn't a ruse...

Stationary Art is a good, reliable seller.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

• 2 weeks later...

I, like many of you have found the 78G to be a real value. I bought the four colors -red, green, teal and black- with an eye toward keeping those filled with like colors. When I mixed in the other pens for my "standard rotation" the whole idea went out the window. Two or three wet and ready is about all I can manage, but I digress. Nibs are 3 of the B and the black with a BB. I wish that I could report the smoothness found in these nibs by others for mine were "snagger's" on almost any paper. A small dab of Flitz on a sheet of super-fine emery cloth, some water and one or two rep's of "The quick red fox....." and these nibs became much, much easier to use. All three of the B nibs exhibit an even line and are just wet enough with Waterman's Red, Green and Florida Blue. The BB needed smoothing as well but just couldn't keep up the ink flow - Waterman Black - and was a poor starter. Taking a page from the "Repair" forum, I flossed the nib with .003" brass shim stock and su' nuff it worked fine. While the ink flow was improved and the starting problem was reduced it did not go away. With the BB nib I found that I was filling the little converter more often than I liked and the start problem was a pain so, since I didn't have an eye-dropper style pen, the black 78G was to be sacrificed. I pulled out the converter, put some silicon on the threads and filled the barrel about 2/3 full. I screwed the section back on and crossed my fingers. When I inverted the assembled pen it didn't leak. YIPPEEEE! This ink hog can now write a very long time between top-offs and no longer has a problem starting!!

• 3 months later...

I just found out about these. I see that pokydady is selling them for $9.99 including shipping. That price sounds good.

My favorite non-fountain pen to use is the Pilot G-2 gel pen with 0.7mm tip. Does the 78g fountain feel similar? If so, which nib would be comparable to 0.7mm?

Thanks.

Wow. I just bought mine from pokydady on ebay for 9.99 shipped.

Bad news is: there's an inflation going on....good news is: no one told pokydady ;)

• 1 month later...

Got mine a week or so ago and it's definitely a nice pen. I love it.

Just a word on purchasing: I got mine from JStationery.com. They shipped it in a bubble wrap envelope with no paperwork, box or anything. Anyone else have this issue with other shippers?

Just a word on purchasing: I got mine from JStationery.com. They shipped it in a bubble wrap envelope with no paperwork, box or anything. Anyone else have this issue with other shippers?

I bought my several 78Gs off eBay (Korea). They all came in clear plastic sleeves with a tiny Pilot booklet. No boxes.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

The two I got from ebay (pokydady and poky_stationary) just came in plastic sleeves with a piece of cardboard for protection. Pretty sure they originally came in blister packs or loose. I've never seen one with a box.

Got mine from Stationery Art. It came in a plastic with a small pamphlet.

I like this pen, but the one I got has some issues. I'll probably get a new one and give it another chance.

And they're a lot of fun to modify. thumbup.gif

(sorry the colors aren't exactly right)

http://i.imgur.com/3UIIZ.jpg

Robert.

• 2 weeks later...

These pens are available for seven or eight bucks a piece. Go here (not affiliated) www.stationeryart.com. I've purchased from this Hong Kong dealer several times with no problems at all. The 78G's are genuine. The seller answers Emails promptly and speaks English. Shipping via Hong Kong Post is a couple-few bucks - select the option with tracking.

That said, I have a few 78G's, all work great once I chucked the horrible converters that came with them. The converters caused poor ink flow and do not permit you to see the ink level. Now I just syringe fill cartridges. The cartridges are Pilot proprietary, so remember to buy a box of cartridges with the pen ($1.25 for six cartridges). The cartridges are clear translucent so you can see the ink level.

The bold nib's are a joy. They're not tipped, but write fine - at least the two I have. I wold call them a 1mm stub. The medium is OK, more on the fine side IMO. The fine is too fine for me.

One more thing. The lovely colored ink cartridges for the Pilot Parallel Pen fit in the 78G fine. Pilot says to NOT use the parallel pen ink in other pens. But I've used the parallel pen ink in the 78G for ages and it has never caused a problem. Also, the parallel pen ink cartridge has a steel ball in it which really aids in consistent ink-flow. Get the box of twelve (12) mixed color parallel pen ink cartridges for three bucks and find your favorite. The six cartridge single color boxes are a buck a piece. Also try the Pilot regular blue ink, you'll be surprised how it looks, writes, and smells.

Regards, David

Mine came apart :(

I've had a Pilot 78G for three months. Two days ago I noticed that something inside was "rattling." Shifting inside the body, actually. Unscrewing it at the sink, I saw that the ink filling mechanism had come loose from the body. It seems to be pressed in, I pressed it back together and maybe that'll take care of it. I was traveling so I couldn't really test it by refilling.

It was kind of upsetting that it came apart. Is it supposed to? Maybe? I like it a lot, aside from this potential act of self destruction. BTW, it was in my pocket all the while, so it's not like like I was playing darts with it or anything :)

Yes, that's a removable converter. The pen will also take Pilot cartridges.

Regards,

Norman

I've had a Pilot 78G for three months. Two days ago I noticed that something inside was "rattling." Shifting inside the body, actually. Unscrewing it at the sink, I saw that the ink filling mechanism had come loose from the body. It seems to be pressed in, I pressed it back together and maybe that'll take care of it. I was traveling so I couldn't really test it by refilling.

It was kind of upsetting that it came apart. Is it supposed to? Maybe? I like it a lot, aside from this potential act of self destruction. BTW, it was in my pocket all the while, so it's not like like I was playing darts with it or anything :)

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

Probably it was not secured properly from the beginning.

• 11 months later...

I'm happy to see these are available at stationeryart now for just US $7.45 . Just a few weeks ago I got one on eBay for about $15 and it had to be shipped from Hong Kong. I haven't tried it yet, but I like the advice of scrapping the included converter and hand-filling cartridges.

Edited by journeyman6

I'm happy to see these are available at stationeryart now for just US $7.45 . Just a few weeks ago I got one on eBay for about $15 and it had to be shipped from Hong Kong. I haven't tried it yet, but I like the advice of scrapping the included converter and hand-filling cartridges.

I've had my 78G for just over a year, and I'm still refilling the cartridge that came with it. They're wide open at the end so they don't wear out like other carts. Also you can swab them out with a q-tip and get them nice and clean.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I have always had good results with Stationeryart, and their 78G prices are the best by a looong stretch. Keep in-mind that Stationeryart ships from Hong Kong. Shipping is cheap by Hong Kong Post.

Just ordered two more 78G's as a result of this thread - couldn't resist. I have one now and really love it. A terrific pen at many times the going rate.

Of course, I also had to order another mechanical pencil? Why? Because it looked nice...

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.