The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mexx Lace (coral red GT)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LapsangS

LapsangS

Greetings from Finland

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 17:01

I have previously ranted about the poor availability of fountain pens here in Finland. But things seem to be getting better. Today I found this pen called "Mexx Lace" with Iridium Point Germany nib, extra fine, at only € 6.90 in our local stationery store (Suomalainen Kirjakauppa).

Mexx is a well-know clothing chain and design firm that operates stores around the world. But this is the first time I've ever seen their fountain pens(!) on display anywhere.

Overall design (8/10)

The pen is remarkably heavy in weight compared to other cheap pens. It is because this pen is made of lacquered brass. Yep, that is quite a remarkable feat for a pen costing 10 dollars. The barrel and cap is "coral red" with gold plated clip and waistband. It is gorgeous and the color reminds me of vintage Parker Duofolds. Weighs perhaps around 40 grams, so it's good for those who have hefty hands and appreciate weight. The cap is screw-on type. To get an idea of its size, I took a picture of the pen side by side with Parker Sonnet.

Writing performance (8/10)

The imprint on the feed says "3", no markings like F or M can be found. It looks like extra fine to me and it draws exactly the same line width as my Hero 100. The nib is your regular Chinese "Iridium Point Germany". It is definitely NOT scratchy, but as usual with extra fine nibs, it has a little hint of tooth, and I like it. No skipping or any other trouble.

Filling Mechanism (5/10)

This is a normal C/C filler, it takes both standard and long international cartridges. I found an international-size converter in my drawer and tried it but it didn't fit. And even the complimentary cartridge that was supplied with the pen was rather snug, as it took a really firm push to get it in. But it is entirely possible to get a fitting converter or modify existing ones so that they'll fit just fine. So nothing special with the filling system. Typical Modern Chinese...

Overall rating (7/10)

I wholeheartedly recommend this pen for those who are on tight budgets and like heavy pens. It is nicely finished and gorgeous standard sized pen. The pen gives no country of origin but it most likely comes from China. The quality is AT LEAST on par with Duke's and Hero's pricier offerings. If I didn't know the price I paid, I would be deeply shocked. I find this pen worth of more than 5 times of its price tag.

Edited by LapsangS, 21 December 2006 - 17:34.

Sponsored Content

#2 Judybug

Judybug

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:56

Oooooooh, this is a nice-looking pen! I love the shape and the wide gold trim. Very good review. Thanks. smile.gif

Judybug
So many pens, so little time!

Posted Image

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

Sponsored Content

|