How Do You "store" Your *inked* Pens? (Up, Down, Or Sideways)

OcalaFlGuy

In what position do your inked pens rest? (NOT counting when clipped to a pocket or collar.)  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Pens that you have nearby, at the ready, inked to use at will

• All or almost all nib up
    • All or almost all nib down
    • All or almost all horizontally
    • Split between nib up and horizontally
    • Split between nib down and horizontally
    • Split between nib up and nib down

I think I covered most options, if not, holla and I'll insert any forgotten. :thumbup:

A thread by Maynes32 prompted this but I'd rather help his thread than hijack it.

IMO, most usually think about "storing" inked pens nib up. That seems to be how many pen holders are set up. That doesn't make sense to me. There's been all kind of threads about "priming" a feed on a dry, just inked pen. Seems the same idea flows through (Argh, Argh, humor, humor) to inked pens that are at rest, nearby and ready for immediate use. It seems to me most logical to store the pen such that the feed is Most Likely to stay primed. I can see that some less engineered pens could suffer from Too Much flow if stored nib down so the next best compromise between the 2 to me is horizontally.

I have a 2 layer hand made wood pen holder, in the test tube rack style, that is made to hold 12 pens vertically, nib up. Instead, I have about the same number lying on both "shelves" of the rack horizontally. :wacko: Not at all the way the rack was intended to be used.

I'd like to hear your thoughts towards your preferred position.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-laying down on the job as usual

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• OcalaFlGuy

• pajaro

• bethesdachick

I lay most of pens horizontal, but at work they stay vertical nib up in a little cup. Dunno why, just how Im used to it.

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

The directions that came with my Parker Urban said to store it nib up, so I try to as much as possible (or at least not quite horizontally, which turned out to be a bit of a problem when it was in my pocketbook and decided to join the "burrow its way to the bottom 'cause you're looking for it" union (keys and such are fellow union members....) :headsmack: At the moment, with the PR Purple Mojo seeming to be a lot wetter ink than the Parker permanent blue cartridges I think that may be a good think, although it was kinda cranky this morning and I suspect that I should flush it when the current refilled cartridge of PRPM is empty.

The Varsity is sort of horizontal/nib down at the moment until I can take the time to figure out if it's out of ink, dried out, or just clogged in some way (and with the Urban it's not a high priority).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Either standing up clipped in a breast or vest pocket, even in the plane....

... or lying down on my desk. Never seen any problems resulting from both ways.

Do a search here on board as this question gests asked almost as much as "Which black ist the blackest black?"

No offence meant

Mike :vbg:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Very timely for me. I got two vintage Esty SJs recently, took them to get restored (turned out they weren't even barely used and didn't need any work, yay!), and the restorer strongly cautioned me to store them nib up. Which I have been doing, no problem. But I figured that advice might also apply to my Aurora and my Lamy, both of which have started to hesitate. I'm wondering whether modern ones need to be treated differently than vintage ones.

Keep smiling! Cheers, Velia

If it's inked it is in my pocket, in my hand or sitting beside the keyboard on the desk.

Very timely for me. I got two vintage Esty SJs recently, took them to get restored (turned out they weren't even barely used and didn't need any work, yay!), and the restorer strongly cautioned me to store them nib up. Which I have been doing, no problem. But I figured that advice might also apply to my Aurora and my Lamy, both of which have started to hesitate. I'm wondering whether modern ones need to be treated differently than vintage ones.

Which restorer did you go to?

RE: the topic at hand, I always store mine horizontal

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Do a search here on board as this question gests asked almost as much as "Which black ist the blackest black?"

No offence meant

Mike :vbg:

Point already taken.

However, I don't see (m)any threads that feature a poll to more accurately nail down which positions (even more than the usual 3) are most commonly used.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I now store my inked pens nib up. I have had some unfortunate incidents of ink in the cap from pens that were horizontal or jostling around in my purse.

My pen inked with the iron gall Lamy Blue Black does need to be turned nib down for a short time before writing, to prime the feed. None of my others ever need that.

Edited by Laura N

Well Bruce,

Mine are all horizontal, neatly tucked away in my six-pen wrap. Been working well for me now for quite a number of months.

I agree - about priming the feed - standing your pens nib-up seems to be a great way to dry them out. But who am I to talk - I've never done it myself... :)

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I store some pens nib down. These are pens which will skip if I use them directly after filling them with ink after they have been dry for a while. A few pens appear to have something going on with the feed where they work perfectly if you let the feed get wet for a while. Possibly there is something wrong with their feeds, but these few pens work better if they are stored nib down.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Well Bruce,

Mine are all horizontal, neatly tucked away in my six-pen wrap. Been working well for me now for quite a number of months.

I agree - about priming the feed - standing your pens nib-up seems to be a great way to dry them out. But who am I to talk - I've never done it myself... :)

This is true. I don't think that a consensus can be reached. I have many pens, and most of them sit nib up, just cause I store them in a toothbrush holder and they look weird cap down. For most of my pens, it doesn't matter what way you store them, and they will write when needed. However, I have a couple eyedroppers that need to be kept horizontal, otherwise they take a bit of coaxing to get the ink back into the feed.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Storage is different from in use. I'd store all my pens horizontally if I had the room.

The four-toothbrush holder is my general "at the ready" storage spot. All are "nib-up", including the rollerball that sits in one of the slots. Then, there's the "51" that's in my pocket- by design of the clip, nib up. If my beloved 45 Flighter bp is to be counted, nib down, I guess when it's in my pocket, or nib sideways when it's on its side.

Nib up if they're in my pocket or in a pen case in the bag I carry to work; horizontal if they're sitting on my desk. Neither has caused any problems, and all of them begin writing as soon as I touch the nib to paper.

Nib up if they're in my pocket or in a pen case in the bag I carry to work; horizontal if they're sitting on my desk. Neither has caused any problems, and all of them begin writing as soon as I touch the nib to paper.

+1

It's a non-issue. Just avoid holding them nib down with the cap off and shaking vigorously.

I store mine nib up, which I learned through trial and mostly error, with my Manuscript calligraphy pen, as I had laid it horizontal overnight?. Needless to say I woke up to find it had leaked all over the tin I had kept it in.. Doh!!

"Is this thing on??"

Most are stored horizontal except for the pen at my computer desk which is stored nib up in an old pipe stand.

I've never had a leak or slow start problem with either method, but then I don't tend to let pens sit around unused for more than a day or so.

I have a nifty late 1800's pen holder and inkwell combined with "prongs" to hold 4 pens - horizontal. Also own another bleack forest antique pen tray that I lay 3 pens into - horizontal. Finally, I have an old flower frog that I put my inexpensive Lamy Safari and Varsity pens in - nibs up on those guys.

Edited by Truman