Central Va?

rbadger332

I have to wonder if we have enough interest to do a Central VA Pen Club. I don't know how many members are on the fora from that area, but I think it'd be cool. How many people would be interested in something like this?

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chad.trent

• rbadger332

• Brian-McQueen

• rapid_butterfly

I'm just new to the forums here (and the site), but I'd be interested. I live in Rappahannock County about 15 mile north of Culpeper. From the lack of replies it might be awhile until there is sufficient interest to warrant a meetup but hopefully some more folks will chime. With Goulet Pens in Ashland, I imagine there are at least two other folks who might be interested :)

I'm just an artist lost in paint and ink...

• 2 weeks later...

I think the two of you are highlighting the problem with the term "Central Virginia". People from Richmond, Culpeper, Meherrin, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, and I've even heard somebody from Fredericksburg use the term. That's way too large a geographic area to be central anything. I'd dare say there is no chance barring the two of you driving in to something in Richmond that one pen club would count in its membership somebody from Culpeper and somebody else from Meherrin.

With that said to the guy in Meherrin, if we can scratch up several other people from what I'd consider the Southside Virginia area like South Boston, Halifax, perhaps Clarskville, Keysville, maybe we could put something together. I'm not sure I see it happening, but I am game to travel for it.

To the guy from Culpeper, I'd think a drive to something in Northern Virginia would be your best bet.

As it is now, I like to participate in the Triad Pen Club in North Carolina. A drive to be with like minded people is worth it to me. :)

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Hmm, I'm afraid I wouldn't even begin to consider Culpeper to be Central Virginia. I used to go to shows there and it was a haul. To me, Central Virgina is Richmond and surrounding area.

If you do manage to put together something in the southside, say, South Hill or Clarksville, I might come up. South Boston would be a bit too far west for me, though.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I'm just new to the forums here (and the site), but I'd be interested. I live in Rappahannock County about 15 mile north of Culpeper. From the lack of replies it might be awhile until there is sufficient interest to warrant a meetup but hopefully some more folks will chime. With Goulet Pens in Ashland, I imagine there are at least two other folks who might be interested :)

Culpepper is close to NoVa then anything else, I would think.

I think the two of you are highlighting the problem with the term "Central Virginia". People from Richmond, Culpeper, Meherrin, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, and I've even heard somebody from Fredericksburg use the term. That's way too large a geographic area to be central anything. I'd dare say there is no chance barring the two of you driving in to something in Richmond that one pen club would count in its membership somebody from Culpeper and somebody else from Meherrin.

With that said to the guy in Meherrin, if we can scratch up several other people from what I'd consider the Southside Virginia area like South Boston, Halifax, perhaps Clarskville, Keysville, maybe we could put something together. I'm not sure I see it happening, but I am game to travel for it.

To the guy from Culpeper, I'd think a drive to something in Northern Virginia would be your best bet.

As it is now, I like to participate in the Triad Pen Club in North Carolina. A drive to be with like minded people is worth it to me. :)

I think that is the best option for me, as well. The interest in a Pen Club for this area is just not there.

Hmm, I'm afraid I wouldn't even begin to consider Culpeper to be Central Virginia. I used to go to shows there and it was a haul. To me, Central Virgina is Richmond and surrounding area.

If you do manage to put together something in the southside, say, South Hill or Clarksville, I might come up. South Boston would be a bit too far west for me, though.

South Hill or Clarksville would be a good place, if the interest was there. I am fairly close anyhow, compared to Raliegh-Durham NC.

Current Rotation:

I'm in Lynchburg. I'd be willing to go a certain distance (CHX is a nice town) for a meet up, I suppose.

FWIW my partner and I are thinking of going to the Raleigh Pen Show at the beginning of June. (She is not a pen fancier, she's just awesome like that.) Anybody thinking of going?

-mina

Where your eyes go, the car goes. - Garth Stein

Ahh! Awesome. Im going to the Show, hopefully. If nothing else but to browse, as my current budget allows for sample vial purchase, and nothing more. :P Butterfly, wht is CHX? Clarksville?

Current Rotation:

chx is my incorrect way of abbreviating charlottesville. :)

Where your eyes go, the car goes. - Garth Stein

I thought it might be. Most of my horsey friends refer to it as C'ville.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

OK. I get ya. Charlottesville would be a great meeting place for me, but others I don't know. Maybe if we can keep drumming up interest, eventually we can have a meeting. :P

Current Rotation:

I'm in Lynchburg. I'd be willing to go a certain distance (CHX is a nice town) for a meet up, I suppose.

FWIW my partner and I are thinking of going to the Raleigh Pen Show at the beginning of June. (She is not a pen fancier, she's just awesome like that.) Anybody thinking of going?

-mina

Oh?? I'm in Lynchburg, too! We should meet up in town sometime.

Also, apparently, there is a pen club in Richmond. I have not checked it out yet. Here are a couple links to information about it:

Richmond Pen Club Info at Martin's Pens

Richmond Pen Club Yahoo Group

I have not met Martin Ferguson, but I have met Sam Marshall before. Sam is one of the premier Sheaffer Snorkel and Touchdown repair authorities.

-mina

Oh?? I'm in Lynchburg, too! We should meet up in town sometime.

Also, apparently, there is a pen club in Richmond. I have not checked it out yet. Here are a couple links to information about it:

Richmond Pen Club Info at Martin's Pens

Richmond Pen Club Yahoo Group

I have not met Martin Ferguson, but I have met Sam Marshall before. Sam is one of the premier Sheaffer Snorkel and Touchdown repair authorities.

GREAT info! Didn't even know that existed. I think a Lynchburg / Charlottesville idea for those in Lynchburg and SOuthside VA would be cool, too.

Current Rotation:

• 3 weeks later...

I live near Charlottesville and would VERY interested in participating... please keep me posted. Feel free to send a PM.

Down with crummy pens!

At this point, Im not sure enough interest has been generated to make a club a feasible idea. If I am wrong, someone please tell me. Although, possibly just starting friendships outside of a club may be the best idea, and perhaps we can gather others as we meet, and a club can generate out of that. Any other ideas?

Current Rotation:

• 1 month later...

I realize I'm coming late to this conversation, but I wanted to add that if a club does get formed, if I can swing it I'll make the trip from Roanoke to attend. I have family in Powhatan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, a little interest from everywhere. Roanoke, Keswick, Meherrin (myself), Lynchburg, and Charlottesville. Lynchburg would be the ideal spot for most of us. A couple live in Lynchburg, and a couple in and near C'ville. The rest of us would have roughly an hour drive or so. Still not a lot of pen users areound here. :P

Current Rotation:

I will be at the DC Supershow on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I would love to meet some of you in person. I will also be talking with someone who has started a couple pen clubs in the past, and get some ideas from him. I think we have enough interest around to at least try our hand at putting one together. If you want to meet up with me at the DC show, do drop me a message as a response here (I have it set up to alert me when a new post is made) or as a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

If a club meeting is possible, I would enjoy it. have you spoken to your friend, yet?

Current Rotation:

• 2 months later...