J Herbin Cacao Du Brasil Set To Be Discontinued...?

Synthy Pelikan

This afternoon, from my usual source for J Herbin inks, I was told that J Herbin's Cacao du Brasil is set to be discontinued! :o Sillily, I forgot to ask why, &c... -_-

So, does anyone know more? Are there any other inks set for the chop? :mellow: Do J Herbin have some new inks in the works, I wonder? Hm...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• orangos

• Synthy Pelikan

• MrsGouletPens

• Fabienne

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was told by their rep and distributor in the US that some colors generate slime (the contaminate) more readily than others but did not offer which ones were more likely to be contaminated and which were not. I suspect that Cacao du Brazil might be one which generates mold colonies. Just a guess but I think it might be >50% likely. The contamination problem has been going on for over a year and there have been a couple of people on here (like me) who have managed to get contaminated bottles this past year. So, I think the susceptible colors are the ones getting the chop.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Maybe because it's a boring, non-descript, blase color???? :embarrassed_smile:

I bought a bottle and have tried it in about 8 different pens, and it just does nothing for me. I don't know what I was expecting, but to my eyes, it looks like a watered-down black. I even mixed it with Pelikan Red and Dragon's Napalm to create a new ink for myself, which I named "Marc de Bourgogne," but the Cacao du Bresil itself I didn't care for.

Now, Lie de The.... :puddle: that's a keeper. As is 1670 Anniversaire!!!

Cacao du Bresil is one of my all-time favorite inks: a gray-black-brown that appears antique and mysterious.

Luckily enough I have an older bottle, before certain agencies got involved with ink production.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Maybe because it's a boring, non-descript, blase color???? :embarrassed_smile:

Every bit as subjective as those of us who think it's a fantastic colour! I love the stuff and regret that JH don't do 100ml bottles...

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

[i've tried to add to the above three times without success. Are there board problems this evening or something?]

So, what do we use as a substitute? Something from the Iroshizukus or can we talk Pharmacist into brewing up a dusty-brown IG ink?

Actually, they do in some colors. Check your usual ink pusher. I got a few the end of last year from our classifieds. :ninja:

Cacao du Bresil: Just like Whaleman's Sepia. But without all the charm.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

OTOH, if Herbin drops it, maybe Pelikan will pick it up and put it in their Edelstein lineup.

Good grief, I'm getting punchy. Time for bed.

Cacao du Bresil is one of my all-time favorite inks: a gray-black-brown that appears antique and mysterious.

Luckily enough I have an older bottle, before certain agencies got involved with ink production.

I wanted to like it but, imho, it honestly looked like pencil markings....

I think we need to confirm this officially before any false rumors get started. Yes, some of the JH inks were susceptible to SITB but they have been taking steps to recall all those affected inks and replenish with good stock. I have not heard anything about discontinued colors, and they would generally be marked as such in the catalogs if that is the case. I'll inquire, though.

So, what do we use as a substitute? Something from the Iroshizukus or can we talk Pharmacist into brewing up a dusty-brown IG ink?

R&K Sepia comes fairly close, IMO. Take a quick look here to see them almost side by side.

Ryan.

I think we need to confirm this officially before any false rumors get started. Yes, some of the JH inks were susceptible to SITB but they have been taking steps to recall all those affected inks and replenish with good stock. I have not heard anything about discontinued colors, and they would generally be marked as such in the catalogs if that is the case. I'll inquire, though.

Thanks for looking into this, Rachel. I'd be very sorry to see this ink go and am hoping this is just a horrible, nightmarish rumor. I'm still reeling from the Pelikan Blue-Black catastrophe.

R&K Sepia comes fairly close, IMO. Take a quick look here to see them almost side by side.

Ryan.

R & K Sepia is also the first ink I thought of as a Cacao Du Brasil. Speaking of which there's should be a bottle of R & K Sepia enroute to me in the mail.

Cacao De Brasil...was once on my buy list. It is not now, even though I got this rush out and buy it before it vanishes urge.

That urge got conquered.

Perhaps if I was to see it on the right paper with the right nib on reviews I'd change my mind.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I confirmed it is NOT being discontinued.

There were a few colors discontinued in cartridge form, maybe that's where the confusion kicked in? And as I mentioned, there are some colors that are being reformulated due to the SITB issues so there are some temporary out-of-stock issues. But nothing being discontinued from their bottles.

Ryan.

Good call, Ryan. R&K inks are comparatively cheap in the UK so I'll order a bottle and see. Thanks!

There were a few colors discontinued in cartridge form, maybe that's where the confusion kicked in? And as I mentioned, there are some colors that are being reformulated due to the SITB issues so there are some temporary out-of-stock issues. But nothing being discontinued from their bottles.

Phew. Thanks for checking -- you're a wonderful human being. :notworthy1:

Now, by the means of time, patience and some group letter-writing therapy, perhaps fans of Cacao du Bresil can convince its detractors that it really is a wonderful ink. :lol:

Thank you for making things clear, MrsGouletPens. :)

[...] I'm still reeling from the Pelikan Blue-Black catastrophe.

What exactly was/is the 'Pelikan Blue-black catastrophe'? :huh: (I intend to use Peli' 4001 Blue-black ink with a new M600 I'm saving for.)

There are some govt restrictions in the USA that prevent Pelikan from bringing the Blue Black into the states. I just use Diamine RI and R&K Salix.