Phileas Prices Skyrocketing?

CountryDoc

So what is with the astronomical prices being asked for new a new Phileas? I've heard that the model is discontinued, but is that enough reason for a $35 pen to command prices in the $150+ range?!? :yikes:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• JonSzanto

• Beechwood

• Scrawler

There is only one seller, and it's not this chap

fpn_1332025080__monty.jpg

who that offers them at that price.

Edited by Force

Those prices are for the NOS marbled ones. You can still buy plain and demonstrators below $50. I guess the collectors want them now they are not made anymore and they are also still desirable for a first "decent" pen for students. So there is a demand thing going on. I have a very nice red marble one that was given me as a gift in the late 1990s and other than the fact that I have grown out of stiff nibs, I still think they are good pens.

Amazon UK no longer has any for sale - just a few nibs. :huh:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

I just purchased a mint blue marble Phileas 2 weeks ago for $23.00. And there were a couple others out there in similar price ranges if that one had fallen through. Some of these pens just go through ebb and flow, once some current interest wanes. Nonetheless, price follows scarcity, so I don't expect them to be bargains forever...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I just purchased a mint blue marble Phileas 2 weeks ago for $23.00. And there were a couple others out there in similar price ranges if that one had fallen through. Some of these pens just go through ebb and flow, once some current interest wanes. Nonetheless, price follows scarcity, so I don't expect them to be bargains forever...

The marble ones can still be had for reasonable prices. It's the earlier mottled ones that seem to be moving up. Like this Mississippi Red.

I see. Well, that looks just like mine, except in red. The one I purchased recently was said to be from the late 1990's, but I know that my original I bought in 1990 specifically. When you say "earlier", what time span are you referring to?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

"DISCONTINUED" places a limit on the supply. The Phileas is a pretty good

writer that looks dressier than other school pens.

I recently got a medium nib marble green one for $25. Fine points are

more desirable, therefore cost more. Blue are more desirable than green.

The demonstrators, especially the pink, are still pretty cheaply priced.

$25 is probably too much for the entry-level green Phileas, but I had $25,

and did not have the Phileas in my collection. Hey, it's fun.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I see. Well, that looks just like mine, except in red. The one I purchased recently was said to be from the late 1990's, but I know that my original I bought in 1990 specifically. When you say "earlier", what time span are you referring to?

It is fairly easy to tell the difference between early mottled (as per the ink stain finish on old book covers) and late models (marble). The mottled have a round blotch pattern, consisting of 2 colours (grey/black, green/black, red/black and purple/black). The marble consists of 3 colours red/black/white, blue/black/white, green/black/white. The white being just a flash here and there. While I have catalogues which include both models they are undated but I understand the mottled were from mid to late 90's and the marble from late 90's.

The marble ones can still be had for reasonable prices. It's the earlier mottled ones that seem to be moving up. Like this Mississippi Red.

The selling price of this pen is hardly unreasonable.

A few years ago I bought a few of these to resell in the future, including some broad nibbed pens, glad I did so if they are fetching this sort of price now, what will they be worth in five years!

It is fairly easy to tell the difference between early mottled (as per the ink stain finish on old book covers) and late models (marble). The mottled have a round blotch pattern, consisting of 2 colours (grey/black, green/black, red/black and purple/black). The marble consists of 3 colours red/black/white, blue/black/white, green/black/white. The white being just a flash here and there. While I have catalogues which include both models they are undated but I understand the mottled were from mid to late 90's and the marble from late 90's.

Aha, I should keep my eyes open for the mottled. However, I can confirm one thing: the marbled covered the entire decade, because I *definitely* purchase my original in 1990. It was a present to myself after landing a job from going back to school for my second degree.

ETA: I just thought I would amend this - it is entirely possible that it might have been in the "early 90's", not precisely 1990, though that is what I remember. Also, I've had a hard time finding images of, and writing about, the "mottled" Phileas pens. It would be interesting if anyone can point to a site that catalogs all the Phileas finishes. Or is that Phinishes?

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin

Catalogue A

Indus Grey

Amazon Green

Mississippi Red

Danube Blue

Catalogue B

Blue Marble

Green Marble

Red Marble

Black

Ruby Red

Midnight Blue

Turquoise Green

Both catalogues are undated. Both look modern.

Catalogue A shows 3 Edson colours Saphire Blue, Ruby Red and Emerald Green. The Serenite does not appear.

Catalogue B shows the Serenite, only the Saphire Blue Edson, and Carenes from the later colours ie Violet and Charcoal.

Edited by Force

I'm guessing these are print catalogs, not something online, right? (otherwise you would have links). Which of those colours would correlate to what you referred to as "mottled" - all of those in Catalog A?

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin

I'm guessing these are print catalogs, not something online, right? (otherwise you would have links). Which of those colours would correlate to what you referred to as "mottled" - all of those in Catalog A?

Yes, I have Waterman hard copy catalogues and yes catalogue A are the mottled colours. I will post pictures this evening.

Thanks, and no rush! I don't want you to think I'm a pest at this. I just did a search and came up with a catalog (originally posted on FPN) that had been scanned, but while it was from 1990-2000, it didn't seem to include Phileas.

Again, thanks, this is interesting!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Saw tonight that pen boutique has the phileas on sale for $42.50. They have black and then the marbled red and blue.

Meantime I missed one for $25 on eBay tonight... it went for $26.50... :crybaby:

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Thanks, and no rush! I don't want you to think I'm a pest at this. I just did a search and came up with a catalog (originally posted on FPN) that had been scanned, but while it was from 1990-2000, it didn't seem to include Phileas.

Again, thanks, this is interesting!

No problem, I think it fair to say, we all find trying to correctly date pens of interest. Please post the FPN link.