13 Different Deccan Pens From Hyderabad, India

kethiemann

I spent the last three days on a business trip to Hyderabad. On advice from fellow FPNer Hari and a friend from Argentina (of all places!) I visited the Deccan Pen Store. Ironically one of their branches is two doors down from our company office, so I can't believe I had never noticed it in previous Hyderabad visits. There I met Haleem, one of the 7 brothers (I think?) who own and run Deccan Pens. Haleem pointed me to the hand-painted advertisement on the wall that was created for the shop in 1928. I spent the next hour (all I could take out from my meetings though I wanted to take more) learning from a man who was clearly an absolute fountain pen expert. I bought several models from him before I had to get back to work. However, the next day I was able to carve out more time and visit the main branch in the southern part of Hyderabad. There I met Waseem and Mustafa Amer and an even better selection of Deccan pens. An hour and a half later with a bag full of pens and a much lighter wallet I left with a huge smile knowing I had just experienced one of the great fountain pen delights that India has to offer. Below are some photos from my experience.

Each of these pens is handmade. Most are ebonite (hardened rubber) though the white pen and Author (last two on the right) are acrylic. The nibs are mostly medium and fine and almost all of the pens are eye dropper filled with the exception of the Masterpiece white and Author, which are aerometric. I'll try to give a more thorough review of some of the pens soon.

The pens I picked up in Hyderabad (from left to right): Onyx small, Regal, Onyx regular, Five Star, Onyx rounded, Bullet Jr, Bullet Sr, Advocate, Advocate Rounded, Ambassador, Masterpiece, Masterpiece White, Author

Deccan Pen Store in Abids, Hyderabad

Me and Mustafa Amer during my big purchase

Edited by kethiemann

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• kethiemann

• Osmaroid

• SmoutKa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

It looks like you had a great time in Hyderabad! Definitely some fantastic pens here! Congrats and well done!!

Edited by cjabbott

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

Nice!

Did you pick up some inks as well, like Bril? They are usually fully stocked with all the inks that are made in India including the large volume bottles...

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice!

Did you pick up some inks as well, like Bril? They are usually fully stocked with all the inks that are made in India including the large volume bottles...

Hari

I picked up a few 500ml bottles of Camlin and Chelpark. I noticed the small Bril bottles but just didn't have time and luggage space to stock up. I'll have to save this for next time. I mentioned you by name and suggested they give you a big discount on your next purchase. It seems they get a fair amount of business through your references. The advice you posted about the quality of their stores was right on. I had such a great time there. Thanks so much for the tip!!!

What a great posting - I love the fact that you showed their store. I have a couple of their pens and another on order - in fact it was an Advocate I got on FPN several years ago that started me devoting a corner of my collection to Indian pens and hand made Indian pens in particular. At the time, I didn't even know the maker was called Deccan as the pen just had "ADV" stamped in the cap next to the clip. In the line up above, I like the look of the Bullet Jr., Bullet Sr., and Ambassador (I think there's a trend here as they are all of similar, simple design)

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Osmaroid

Very nice looking pens! And very cool that you actually got to speak to some of the owners of the company that makes these pens by hand. Hope you have time to do some reviews of them. Too bad there wasn't a source for these pens other than in India (is there? :unsure:) Those of you who can visit the store there are lucky indeed!

Holly

Nice. I wish we could get some of these pens here. I also enjoyed the photos of the store.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Those are some fabulous pens, a few of them I've been after too!

I eagerly await some reviews. Particularly the Onyx small and Regal.

Nice one! :thumbup:

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

There was talk on the Deccan facebook page of a webstore that will ship international coming soon.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

I really like the Deccan Advocate. Any special tricks (like silicone grease) needed to keep an eye-dropper pen from leaking?

I really like the Deccan Advocate. Any special tricks (like silicone grease) needed to keep an eye-dropper pen from leaking?

yes, a little pure silicone will help.

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

To all the people who wished that there was a way to get these pens in the USA, there is. The author of the start to this string has an on-lline store selling Indian pens and has just added the selection of Deccan pens in his posting. I don't know how many he has at this time, but you will find them if you follow his new posting in Market Watch under "Deccan Handmade Pens From India now available at FountainPenRevolution.com". . I have dealt several times with Kevin and find him to be a delight to deal with. The usual disclaimer - I have no association with him whatever other than as a very satisfied customer.

Edited by Osmaroid