The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker 51 Nassua Green: Remake?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 joss

joss

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2012 - 14:19

After selling his own productions of the Parker Duofold Mandarin Yellow Jr and Sr and of the Parker 51 Vacumatic Buckskin Beige, it is the first time I see this seller selling a Parker 51 Vacumatic in Nassua (!) green.

Link to pen is here and link to seller is here

There was already a discussion elsewhere on this network on whether these remakes can be regarded as forgeries, that is if the seller does not clearly state that these pens are newly made and not vintage. This seller states in the description of the auction that "My beautiful original pen comes up for auction. Doing the work all of my fountain pen, very good condition". It is not clear to me whether this statement is sufficient to recognize that this pen is a remake and not vintage. Also, remakes do not need to have fake imprints dating them to the 1940s.

It will be only a matter of time before these forgery pens will be diluted into the bulk of the real vintage versions of these pens and that is a pity.

It might be an interesting topic to compare in detail the real and false pens to help us differentiating them. There were already comments made on the imprint which is laser-made and too sharp on these Asian remakes compared to the heat-stamped imprint on the vintage specimens of these pens.

So when searching for that well kept Duofold Mandarin yellow, stop looking for the perfectly kept one: it is better to search for a specimen with a few nice hairline cracks as that proves its vintage nature...

Edited by joris, 14 March 2012 - 14:25.

Sponsored Content

#2 Rockyrod

Rockyrod

Never push the History erase button!!!

• Member - Gold

• 826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2012 - 14:51

The green in this pen is not the same as nassau green. This is more like a hunter green which is darker than nassau.
Rod Rumsey
Email me

#3 Mhawke7894

Mhawke7894

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 14:51

This is a real novice question, but how do you know for sure its a reproduction?

#4 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2012 - 15:59

This is a real novice question, but how do you know for sure its a reproduction?

David Nishimura has spoken about this seller and his phony reproductions here and on another pen website...
He apparently has personal knowledge of the seller and producer of these pens...
He says they are definitely phony pens and with his experience and background I am not going to argue with him
TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#5 Procyon

Procyon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:35

His pens appear to be a mix of authentic parts with new ones that he has manufactured. As mentioned above, the green here looks like it is too dark for Nassau green, but that could just be a lighting problem. He sold a Nassau green pen at least once before, because I remember his spelling of "Nassua".

Too bad he doesn't just make Fantasy pens, in an honest manner, like Ariel Kullock. He seems to be pretty skilled, and could probably do well.

Edited by Procyon, 14 March 2012 - 17:37.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

#6 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:11

This pen is a vacuum filler. If I recall correctly, Nassau green was the only green 51 made by Parker that was a vacuum filler, so if the color isn't correct, it must be fake. Right? Did Parker ever make a Hunter green pen?

Edited by ANM, 14 March 2012 - 18:15.

And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:24

There is a key flaw in the pen. I see no reason to to tell the seller what is wrong, he may correct it.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#8 George

George

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,471 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:38

Looks like he already found out the flaw...

George

#9 Procyon

Procyon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:12

This pen is a vacuum filler. If I recall correctly, Nassau green was the only green 51 made by Parker that was a vacuum filler, so if the color isn't correct, it must be fake. Right? Did Parker ever make a Hunter green pen?

They made an aerometric filler in Forest Green, which is essentially Hunter green. The 51's colors are tricky to photograph, however, and the colors can look radically different if the camera's color balance is off. The first 51 set I purchased was called Teal Blue by the seller, and the photos looked like it. When I got the set, it was Navy Gray.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

#10 stedders

stedders

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 21:54

I bought a Nassau 51 from this seller only a few weeks ago - and had no idea whatsoever that it is a remake until seeing this thread.

This was my second Nassau - and the colour is almost identical to the first, bought a fair few years ago.

Certainly, the colour is nothing like my Forest Green aeros, of which I have two.

I will try and find time to post some comparative photos tomorrow.

#11 livesinjanesville

livesinjanesville

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:43

David Nishimura has spoken about this seller and his phony reproductions here and on another pen website...
He apparently has personal knowledge of the seller and producer of these pens...
He says they are definitely phony pens and with his experience and background I am not going to argue with him

Thanks for the valuable info.I have tracked and bid on a few of his(or hers) nice looking pens.NOW I know why!David's and all of yours expert info is a great help to bidders and buyers that are all to eager to get a "deal".His pens just didn't look right(a nice matte or dull surface finish).
Thanks to all.Much appreciated!

Sponsored Content

|