What Pencil Are You Using Today?

fluctuations

Two "new" ones are added to the rotation today:

1. Musgrave Tennessee Red - my first test from the box I bought some weeks back. I had the same issue with the initial sharpening as I did with my Musgrave 100 Test Scoring. It didn't sharpen well, and a big chunk of lead broke off. On the second attempt, it worked okay. It's a nice dark writer.

I don't think it's my sharpener causing those issues, basic though it is. My other brand pencils work pretty well, even on first sharpen.

2. Scripto "US Government" vintage mechanical - loaded with IBM Electrographic 1.1mm lead. It's a treat to use. The ink is dark and smooth, just like in my woodcase Electros. The pencil has a semi-hex shape that feels like holding a wooden pencil. It doesn't smell like wooden pencils, and it's not a long (about 70% shorter than an unsharpened Ticonderoga). But it feels great in the hand.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• Zookie

• lovemy51

• a m a r g o

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, while they don't get a great deal of use, I have these in my pocket.

fpn_1593888589__daily_pencils_2.jpg

Beautiful items, what brand is the upper one?

Two "new" ones are added to the rotation today:

1. Musgrave Tennessee Red - my first test from the box I bought some weeks back. I had the same issue with the initial sharpening as I did with my Musgrave 100 Test Scoring. It didn't sharpen well, and a big chunk of lead broke off. On the second attempt, it worked okay. It's a nice dark writer.

I don't think it's my sharpener causing those issues, basic though it is. My other brand pencils work pretty well, even on first sharpen.

2. Scripto "US Government" vintage mechanical - loaded with IBM Electrographic 1.1mm lead. It's a treat to use. The ink is dark and smooth, just like in my woodcase Electros. The pencil has a semi-hex shape that feels like holding a wooden pencil. It doesn't smell like wooden pencils, and it's not a long (about 70% shorter than an unsharpened Ticonderoga). But it feels great in the hand.

The TR wood is a tiny bit harder than incense cedar. So far, the only two sharpeners that have worked with mine are my desktop Boston vintage double burr and the majestic KUM Masterpiece. All others fail miserably.

I have some pencils with harder wood. I knife sharpen them. I find it very satisfying.

Some drawing today with pencils from the Mitsubishi Uni kit with all their lead grades. I used the 10H, F, HB, and 2B pencils, plus the "EE" (it's just a very dark lead) from my woodless graphite set.

Wouldn't mention it except for the 10H. I've been thinking that all the pencils above 6H in that kit are pretty much useless to me. Today I decided I wanted some very fine, very faint lines, and tried the 10H. The results were not impressive, but that's very likely me and not the pencil.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Tombow Mono 100 2B. :wub:

One day I'm going to order a dozen all at once so I can have one of their plastic coffins to keep them in.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

For drawing. Faber Castell 2H, Staedtler HB and 2B, Rotring Tikky 0.35 mm (HB).

pencils.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I finally broke into my box of Blackwing 602 a few days ago.

I didn't like how it felt at first. It's longer than my other wooden pencils, and it feels a little top-heavy. But I admit it's growing on me. The lead is a treat to write with, smooth and dark. And I appreciate the softer edges of the hex shape (compared to my Musgraves and Generals) - like it's almost a round pencil but not quite. Very comfortable to hold.

Papermate Mirado Classic #2, US made.

How do you like it? Does your US Made comment mean that you're using an older model?

Sorry. Yes it does. The new ones are made in Mexico, and while they're very good as well, they use a different formula and the lead is a bit scratchier.

These pencils have been made for a long time with different makers and different formulas.

They started out as "Mikado" pencils, but with the begin of WW2 changed the name to "Mirado". I believe they were first manufactured by Eagle pencil.

Mine are the last made in the U.S. before the move to Mexico.

They are very smooth and hold a point well.

Edited by Zookie

Counting two mechanicals, I have about 10 for-use pencils in my desk mug. These three are the most recently sharpened.

Musgrave Test 100 - you can see I have been using the heck out of this one for a few weeks now, though part of the issue is that it's had sharpening issues from day one, causing waste. But I am pleased, so I ordered 10 more. They're so friggin' cheap! Next time, I will probably order several dozen straight from Musgrave.

Blackwing 602 - finally broke into the 12-box for this one. It's taken a moment, but it's really growing on me.

Apsara Gold (HB) - one of three different Indian pencils I recently acquired in a trade. Even has a fun removable clip. A lovely writer with a dark line that holds a point longer than the other two pencils in this pic. I dig it.

156224228_qi4w0sy4w9d51.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took a family portrait of my keepers... the ones that I use mostly/daily are the 3mm Fixpencils (the two right of the 600), currently assigned to desk duties at home and that battered green stripe Pelikan 450 that doesn't have a clip or clip ring (it is in my EDC set).

fpn_1596635738__mechanical_pencils_and_l

Blackwing natural

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

In a recent post on r/pencils, I showed some pencils I was using. Several of the guys mentioned that I should upgrade my sharpener game. At their recommendations, I ordered a KP-110 on ebay. It looks great and fits right in the little space on my desk where I hoped it would.

You can see here how sharp the points are, compared to my previous cheap handheld. (the two Indian pencils on the far right did not get sharpened right before the pic like the others - I have written quite a bit with them since last sharpen, and I wanted to show how great those pencils are about not wearing down too quickly.)

My only issue is that the KP-110 seems to focus on one side of the lead if I let it just run until the autostop. I've tried it on half a dozen new and previously sharpened pencils of various brands, and it's consistent. You can see evidence on the Blackwing, second from left.

Best I can tell from research, it means something needs adjusting in the machinery. But I am not going to take it apart. I have just about got the rhythm down now where I let it run a bit, and then I flip it over so the unsharpened side faces upwards. In the end it works and makes a great point. (It does feel like this sharpener takes a lot of pencil on a new sharpen, but that may be normal and simply that I was used to the way my crappy sharpener works?)

It's been an excellent upgrade for $23.

157518559_030xcehbi7f51.jpg 157518560_fjqbzdhbi7f51.jpg

I love my wood cases pencils, but I wanted to use a mechanical, so today I'm compromising and using an Eagle 527 Simplex. At least it's half wood 😁