What Pencil Are You Using Today?

fluctuations

I'm on my second P205. The first ceased functioning after 20 plus years of use.

Add lightness and simplicate.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• Zookie

• lovemy51

• a m a r g o

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes they can. There's up to 4B or 5B in 0.5mm lead. Remember these leads don't share their formulation with wooden pencils. They use polymers to gain strenght. I've got 2B lead in 0.2mm!

After some research I settled on Ain-Stein(1) 0.5mm 4B leads and they hold up pretty nicely.

(1) Which again -- to your point -- is Pentel. On a side note : those guys really "get it". The leads are awesome and their EnerGel refills are excellent writers.

Pictures please! For sure they have a pretty good predecesor in the Hi-Uni...

Well there isn't much to show off in the actual result ... it's just pencil writing. It's the softness and how the pencil writes with the lightest touch. I'll leave this here though : look at the size of that lead : probably around 3.0mm diameter. Insane. For comparison, the one on the right is a Tombow.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/elSJZAuRe1GbBF6J3

-k

After some research I settled on Ain-Stein(1) 0.5mm 4B leads and they hold up pretty nicely.

(1) Which again -- to your point -- is Pentel. On a side note : those guys really "get it". The leads are awesome and their EnerGel refills are excellent writers.

Well there isn't much to show off in the actual result ... it's just pencil writing. It's the softness and how the pencil writes with the lightest touch. I'll leave this here though : look at the size of that lead : probably around 3.0mm diameter. Insane. For comparison, the one on the right is a Tombow.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/elSJZAuRe1GbBF6J3

-k

Ain Stein are great leads. I have many grades in different diameters and so far, have found no cause to complain. Have some friends who claim Pilot Neox leads are better, but I will need to have same diameter and same grade to compare, and so far, I don't have that combination.

Tombow Mono Graph leads were kind of a lead down. Not as soft or smooth as Ain Stein, Kuru Toga or even Super Hi-Polymer offerings.

Palomino Blackwing Pearl

The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass. ~ Martin Mull

Saturday: Koh-I-Noor Hardtmuth TOISON D'OR 1900 HB

Tombow 8900 (2B)

Today I went with a Mitsu-bishi Hi-uni HB.

Well, I am using this bling pen. I only paid 3 euro to get a practical pen as a stylus on ipad and as pen on paper.

I found one coupon on Offers and I searched the keyword as Ballpoint Stylus Pens. Finally I got a 60% discount off.

I was attracted by its appearance as it is bling and practical functionality as a pen and a stylus. More importantly, on the basis of coupon, it only took me 3 euro to get a good stylus. Isn't it beneficial?

Here is the stylus I got
:
https://goo.gl/8hhD7e

41DyakwEgcL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Rite in the Rain All-Weather Mechanical Pencil - Yellow Barrel (1.1 mm black lead)

Today I went with a Mitsu-bishi Hi-uni HB.

Love the Hi-Uni but for some reason I tend to prefer Tombow's cores. Right now am using a Tombow Mono R HB, a Pentel Black Polymer 999 HB and an Itoya Helvetica - all 3 are incredible pencils!

Love the Hi-Uni but for some reason I tend to prefer Tombow's cores. Right now am using a Tombow Mono R HB, a Pentel Black Polymer 999 HB and an Itoya Helvetica - all 3 are incredible pencils!

Grippy lead like the Tombow Mono makes me angry. No kidding. Even worse is Koh-i-nor.

The Hi-Uni is about perfect. I waffle between the Hi-Uni and the Steadtler Lumograph as my favorite. Today I used the Steadtler.

--flatline

Edited by flatline

Palomino Blackwing 602

...Tombow Mono R HB...

...Steadtler Lumograph...

Super sticks, folks! I just put both on Ye Olde Wish List. :)

An old Linex 2mm clutch pencil with a 2B Hi-Uni lead sharpened to a long point. The only thing I don't like is the knurled grip so it's covered with heat-shrink insulation. Perfect.

post-132839-0-67976800-1527812569_thumb.jpg

Edited by AmandaW

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Palomino Blackwing 602

Super sticks, folks! I just put both on Ye Olde Wish List. :)

You should give them a try!

An old Linex 2mm clutch pencil with a 2B Hi-Uni lead sharpened to a long point. The only thing I don't like is the knurled grip so it's covered with heat-shrink insulation. Perfect.

attachicon.gif 2018-06-01 08.11.41.jpg

What sharpener are you using?

What sharpener are you using?

A Faber Castell 2mm lead sharpener

post-132839-0-99632400-1528254651_thumb.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Today it's a Staedtler allXwrite 292 HB Woodless Graphite.

You should give them a try!

heh. I've got Tombow Mono 100's in B and Mitsu-bishi Hi-Uni's in B arriving in about 14 hours. (I have plenty of Hi-Uni's in HB but wanted to try the "B.") The Lumographs will be my next dernier cri. :P

Tombow Mono 100 B

Edited by nauta_atramentorum

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Kaweco Ice Sport Mechanical Pencil - 0.7 mm - with Pilot Neox High-Purity Graphite Pencil Lead (B)

Tombow 8900 HB. Very smooth graphite and it holds a point very well.

My box of 12 was made in Vietnam. I was surprised - I thought they were still manufactured in Japan.