The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Pencil Are You Using Today?

• Please log in to reply
1316 replies to this topic

#1221 SteveID

SteveID

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 00:19

Ah, the work is fast & furious right now, and the pencils are flying around here. Presently I'm using a Blackwing 602, and these are really almost as good as the originals were, several lead holders all with Faber-Castell Lead: a Caran D'ache Fixpencil 2mm holder with HB, a Rotring Rapid Pro 2mm with 2B, and a .7mm Rapid Pro with 2B, along with Derwent 4B & 8B water soluble graphite pencils. I thought I'd given up on wooden pencils all together, with my hand cramping as I compulsively used my pencils down to the nub, but the smell of those Cedarwood Blackwings as you sharpen them is just too great. "Half the pressure" indeed!

Edited by SteveID, 20 December 2017 - 00:24.

Just add an F at the beginning, and any Art stinks.
Except your own.

Sponsored Content

#1222 sandy101

sandy101

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 13:17

Just received a box of Blackwing 530's. Sharpened a couple of them, and they work wonderfully on Moleskine paper. The lead is a shade darker than the 602, and the lead being a bit firmer offers a tiny bit of feedback. Both pencils sharpen to a long point. 

I do hope Palomino make a regular extra hard lead formula as part of their regular issue pencils. 

#1223 flatline

flatline

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:21

Just received a box of Blackwing 530's. Sharpened a couple of them, and they work wonderfully on Moleskine paper. The lead is a shade darker than the 602, and the lead being a bit firmer offers a tiny bit of feedback. Both pencils sharpen to a long point. 

I do hope Palomino make a regular extra hard lead formula as part of their regular issue pencils. 

I'd love a Blackwing with a longer lasting point than the 602, but I just can't bring myself to buy another box of pencils while my current box of 602's is still mostly full.

--flatline

#1224 sodul

sodul

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 22:56

I stopped by Daiso to get 0.9mm leads for a vintage Shaeffer's school pen (I might ask for some help on how to properly refill it) and left with 2 2mm mechanical pencils and a refill set  of 18 colors (7 of them are red, and one black) and 18 blacks. These mechanical pencils are pretty nice with a good grippy texture on the plastic, a very functional and springy clip and a lead sharpener on the rear cap. The color leads are not prismacolor quality but have pretty good pigments for a low price. The storage for the leads has a very convenient 2 dispenser system where you can select individual leads from the top and a few more leads from the bottom.

fpn_1514155368__img_3335.jpg

fpn_1514156149__img_3336.jpg

fpn_1514156170__img_3337.jpg

#1225 PenThing

PenThing

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:35

Wahl Doric Airliner pencil, which perhaps is a tad small (ish) for my hands, but what a joy to use it :)

Sometimes we forget that the vintage of now is the new of the yore days...

2003.jpg

minoxit1.png

#1226 reduziert

reduziert

daily writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:42

Today I use: Blackwing 73 (near nub), Staedtler Noris 2B, Bruynzeel Holland 4B. 

Think I get them done tomorrow. Lot of journaling today.

#1227 gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Stub Nib Addict!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:25

I have 2. A Bexley clutch pencil in 5.6mm and a Staedtler 925 in 2mm

#1228 Retro-user

Retro-user

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:41

I think I may spring for some Blackwing 602s. I need a dark line with a point that's not too soft.

#1229 kulms

kulms

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 16:24

should i invest in an expensive mechanical pencil? I usually just use an ordinary dr. grip mechanical pencil. Gets the job done

#1230 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 16:26

Gone back to Blackwing Palomino and Pearl pencils for the new year.

#1231 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,999 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 16:30

should i invest in an expensive mechanical pencil? I usually just use an ordinary dr. grip mechanical pencil. Gets the job done

I have no regrets on a small splurge for a Faber Castell classic 14 years ago, it often is in the rotation.

I do not use the MB mech-pen much, it's not as refined as the FB.

"getting the job done" is no excuse for not splurging around here..... :lol:

#1232 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 1,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 17:13

Look to features rather than price. Rotation, lead size, grip type, retractability, etc. I wouldn't spend more than ~40 USD for a good mech pencil other than for the sake of appearance, brand cache, or the odd rare collector piece.

#1233 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 14:08

Mitsubishi W-Knock mechanical pencil (has a "skeleton" section so you can see the lead expelling mechanism work). Retractable tip that locks in quite solid (no wobble).  From a distance, an ordinary looking pencil, yet it's quite unusual.  :)  Some unknown HB lead inside it.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#1234 flatline

flatline

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 15:39

If you want an expensive mechanical pencil, then go ahead and get one. However, unless you want something very specific, you probably don't need to spend more than $15 to find an excellent pencil that meets your needs.

Examine the mechanical pencils you currently have, compare them to the pencils that are available wherever you shop, decide what features you like and don't like, and then look to see if any pencil you currently have or can purchase has the features you think you want and not the features you think you don't want.

I've got some pencils in the $20 - $40 price range, and I do really like some of the more expensive pencils, but most of my favorites are in the $6 - $10 range.

--flatline

#1235 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 16:41

^ These days there are some stellar pencils in the sub $20 range.  Heck, you can get a rOtring 600 0.5mm for just over $15 USD!  There's also some great models to be found from Mitsubishi-Uni, even as cheaply as $6 USD when bought off eBay.  The great thing is that their affordability makes it possible to shop around until you find ones that work best for you, without breaking the bank.

Of course, if you want to get into retractable tips... that's a whole other story.  Cheapest quality one is the rOtring 800, which has now dipped into the $25 USD range.  Still has a little wobble, but remedied with a little tape around the internal shaft.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#1236 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2018 - 14:24

Same as always, my trusty Kuru Toga Alpha Gel and a Caran d'Ache Blackwood Maxi for artwork (sooooo in love with this thing!).

I've also been using Prismacolor soft core color pencils for some sketches I'm monkeying around with. I prefer Tombow Irojiten, but wanted to give the Prismacolors a try. Not bad at all!

Edited by Aquaria, 18 January 2018 - 14:25.

#1237 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:59

A Palomino Blackwing 530. Very nice.

#1238 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:55

Some features come at a cost. It depends on how many features you need/want, and on the brand which designs and material appeal the most to you.

These days I'm always using my Staedtler 925 25-20. I found it a bit heavy initially but I soon adjusted to it. Love it immensely. Terrific value for the money. Highly recommended.

ZXd8sGt.jpg

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#1239 katerchen

katerchen

Slow and furious

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2018 - 19:44

My newest toy :  a Pilot s20 in red wood, with Ain Stein 4B leads. Dreamy!

https://www.jetpens....ed-Body/pd/2936

7267.jpg

#1240 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 13:22

Looks and feels like bakelite. Millers National Insurance Co Chicago and Illinois Fire Insurance Co Chicago is stamped on it. It is new old stock (with box and papers). About 1mm lead and it writes smoothly. Circa 1943 Autopoint.

Sponsored Content

|