The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Pencil Are You Using Today?

• Please log in to reply
1219 replies to this topic

#1201 sandy101

sandy101

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 00:21

Paid a visit to the pub with a moleskin to work on some ideas for NaNoWriMo.

I had a Aspara Platinum Extra Dark, a Blackwing 602, a Tombow Mono 100 Hb and a Mistuishi Hi-Uni 2B - I had a KUM long point sharpener on me. 

I filled out two and a half pages of freewriting (bleep) using all 4 pencils and the same sharpener.

Notes on the 4 - the Aspara gave a much broader line than the other pencils. The pencil would not come to a sharp point - but rather a rounded point which did last for a long time, but gave a much broader line than other pencils. Fine if you are writing for yourself (which I was) but if you want to make something neater or more impressive - try elsewhere.

The 602 had a similar issue. It came to a long round point rather than a sharp one. It was sharper than the Aspara, but not pointedly sharp. 

The tombow was the best of the 4. The HB came to a sharp needle point that stayed for a long time - also the Tombow laid down a darker line than most other pencils. I got a much thinner line - and the pencil retained a much sharper point for longer. 

The Mistubishi was the smoothest writing experience. The 2B lanes down a nice line, but I could feel the pencil melting as I wrote. It was the nicest, and creamiest of the 4 to write with, but it was the one that lost its point the quickest.

So, of the 4 I used - with the sharpener I had, the Tombow Mono HB came top. A separate lead sharpener would allow me to get the Aspara and the 602 to  much sharper points - but the tools you have are the tools you have. 

All the pencils were useable, they all wrote, but were not all equal.  

Sponsored Content

#1202 Liuna

Liuna

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 16:04

Back in school, I used to write with a bright light blue Stabilo mechanical pencil, can't remember the exact type at the moment. It was good and comfortable, but after a lot of usage its gray rubber "holder" became loose and moves on the pencil's body a bit by now, which is a bit disturbing.

I didn't really use mechanical pencils since high school but while reorganizing the pens/pencils etc. I found some Parker mechanical pencils (two black Jotters with BP bodies and a dark red Parker 45 with BP body also), I decided to use that one. It fits my hand well and the plastic barrel is perfect for long term holding.

(Also, I rediscovered two original Rotring Tikkys (so called first generation), a white 0,3 and a silver 0,5 one, they are my mother's. She said she used the silver one back at the university for architecture drawings in the 70s :) Now for reason the 0,3 doesn't work, the leads won't come out no matter how many times I click it...)

#1203 reduziert

reduziert

daily writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:31

Today I am using a Blackwing MMX from the old series along with a Tomboy Mono 100 4B and a Ito-ya Helvetica in red.

All used in a Field Notes Two River and a Field Notes Dime Novel.

#1204 Donald2

Donald2

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2017 - 21:07

I'm using my yellow General's Semi-Hex 498 #1 today to write my school assignment.

#1205 sandy101

sandy101

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,384 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2017 - 23:55

I used a Blackwing Pearl, and a Caran D'Ache 348 today. (I visited Choosing Keeping in London and managd to buy one of each).

The Blackwing Pearl is close to a 2B Japanese Pencil It gives lovely creamy lines, but you can feel the point melt as you write with it.  A beautiful pencil, not as hard as the 602 - but nice. I'm certainly up for getting a box. It reminded me of the delicious creaminess of the Tombow/Mitsubishi 2B.

The C'DA 348 is the opposite. it is a hard HB pencil - it is not as dark as other HBs (such as the Tombow and Mitsubishi HB pencils) but it does retain its point for a long time - so it required less sharpening. I suspect it is a pencil that will last for a very long time. 

#1206 Mister5

Mister5

Blue Black

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:34

Palomino Blackwing 602

Edited by Mister5, 30 October 2017 - 01:35.

Inked:  Sheaffers Imperial IV (Pelikan Tanzanite); Platinum Balance Blue F (Platinum Blue Black); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black);  Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black); Pelikan Twist Bronze M (Pelikan Blue). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

#1207 sdbruder

sdbruder

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:30

Today I’ve used one of my newest arrivals, a Bulow X450 that came with some ink with Robert Oster Fire and Ice and my trusty old TWSBI Eco with Diamine Red Dragon.

stopped counting at 20 pens.

#1208 kolakhan

kolakhan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2017 - 14:56

Started this thread 5 years back! wow time flies...  :o

Faber-Castell HB SV 1111

#1209 Zookie

Zookie

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 804 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:23

Tionderoga Black #2

#1210 Stef

Stef

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:52

Always used to write with an ordinary Pentel P207.

I now use a Caran d'Ache Madison (first edition, with pushknob) with Uni 0.5 mm HB Nano Dia leads.

#1211 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:23

Paid a visit to the pub with a moleskin to work on some ideas for NaNoWriMo.

I had a Aspara Platinum Extra Dark, a Blackwing 602, a Tombow Mono 100 Hb and a Mistuishi Hi-Uni 2B - I had a KUM long point sharpener on me. 

I filled out two and a half pages of freewriting (bleep) using all 4 pencils and the same sharpener.

Notes on the 4 - the Aspara gave a much broader line than the other pencils. The pencil would not come to a sharp point - but rather a rounded point which did last for a long time, but gave a much broader line than other pencils. Fine if you are writing for yourself (which I was) but if you want to make something neater or more impressive - try elsewhere.

The 602 had a similar issue. It came to a long round point rather than a sharp one. It was sharper than the Aspara, but not pointedly sharp. 

The tombow was the best of the 4. The HB came to a sharp needle point that stayed for a long time - also the Tombow laid down a darker line than most other pencils. I got a much thinner line - and the pencil retained a much sharper point for longer. 

The Mistubishi was the smoothest writing experience. The 2B lanes down a nice line, but I could feel the pencil melting as I wrote. It was the nicest, and creamiest of the 4 to write with, but it was the one that lost its point the quickest.

So, of the 4 I used - with the sharpener I had, the Tombow Mono HB came top. A separate lead sharpener would allow me to get the Aspara and the 602 to  much sharper points - but the tools you have are the tools you have. 

All the pencils were useable, they all wrote, but were not all equal.  

Notice that Kum Long Point sharpener does not make points as sharpen as the Kum Masterpiece. Maybe with the Masterpiece those pencils would have had a sharper point.

Just my two cents.

A silent response: it shows you didn't lose anything

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg AND OHg34j.jpg

#1212 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 22:16

Papermate Mirado US made Woodtone HB. I bought a bunch of these a few years back and they're not too bad.

#1213 dkirchge

dkirchge

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 20:47

NaNoWriMo and the computer have taken a toll on my shoulders and wrists this month, so I broke out the Pentel Sharp Kerry 0.5mm and a composition book today for a change of pace.

-- Doug K.

#1214 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:21

Ticonderoga 2  :)

#1215 aderoy

aderoy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 16:27

KOH-I-NOOR Rapidomatic 0.7mm 5637 with 2B lead

#1216 coppilcus

coppilcus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2017 - 18:34

Lamy 2000 0.5mm with Ain Stein HB Soft lead...

15A09AFE-9E2C-49DC-8CA1-11814DCD40BE.jpeg

#1217 Zookie

Zookie

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 804 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 21:39

Very nice!

#1218 Donald2

Donald2

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 22:16

I use from my HUUUUUUUGE selection of pencils. They can be anything from Portuguese to Swiss or German to American pencils. I literally own thousands of pencils that will last someone many lifetimes. My favorite are the darker HB, B and 2B graphite writers. A few that comes into mind right now are the Swiss Caran D'ACHE jumbo, the Tri-conderoga HB, the Viarco B and the Mitsubishi B.

#1219 PenThing

PenThing

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:10

I am using a black Pelikan 100 (Auch) pencil, an all-time favorite of mine.

Sometimes we forget that the vintage of now is the new of the yore days...

2003.jpg

minoxit1.png

#1220 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 15:26

For doodling, office depot #2 pencil. They were selling them for .14 per bx of 12. Bought 6 boxes. Yes.. its crazy. Otherwise using a Mitsu-bishi Hi Uni 3B in my Moleskine.

Sponsored Content

|