What Pencil Are You Using Today?

fluctuations

Dixon Ticonderoga No 2 today.

Palomino Blackwing 602 due here tomorrow. Can't wait to try out this classic.

Better stay away from Copperhead Road.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• Zookie

• lovemy51

• a m a r g o

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My everyday pencil: Yard O' Led Retro

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae114/NokinPhoto/retro_pencil.jpg

I use this for quick notes in meetings etc. because I can write more quickly with it than my FPs.

Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

yesterday: o'bon recycled newspaper case pencil -2b. it came as a free-bee when i bought from these guys a while back: http://www.pencilthings.com/product-p/obo%20black.htm

nice graphite. the only thing i don't like is that is missing the cedar smell :embarrassed_smile:

edited: just wanted to add that every time i use wood case pencils (in this case recycled newspaper :rolleyes: ) i carry it with a metal slip on clip and metal point protector.

Edited by lovemy51

My everyday pencil: Yard O' Led Retro

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae114/NokinPhoto/retro_pencil.jpg

I use this for quick notes in meetings etc. because I can write more quickly with it than my FPs.

ooh baby! :thumbup:

Schneider id mechanical pencil. I wanted something to carry in my pants pocket all day at work. I looked at the Lamy scribble but the Schneider was half the price of the scribble.

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

Have anyone tried Sheaffer Sentinel pencil? If yes, then what is your experience?

Another question: what lead do you use in 0.5 mm, say, mechanical pencils?

glare.gif

yesterday: o'bon recycled newspaper case pencil -2b. it came as a free-bee when i bought from these guys a while back: http://www.pencilthi...obo%20black.htm

nice graphite. the only thing i don't like is that is missing the cedar smell :embarrassed_smile:

edited: just wanted to add that every time i use wood case pencils (in this case recycled newspaper :rolleyes: ) i carry it with a metal slip on clip and metal point protector.

notworthy1.gif

Cannot help but adore your collection!

Have anyone tried Sheaffer Sentinel pencil? If yes, then what is your experience?

Another question: what lead do you use in 0.5 mm, say, mechanical pencils?

glare.gif

hi there. if i understood the second Q correctly, i use 4B lead. is very soft and smooth, but it smears. it might break more easily if you press hard -but i wouldn't expect that from any FP user! ;)

PS. for the fisrt Q: do you mean the old sentinel or the modern (they make the sentinel BP)?

Cannot help but adore your collection!

stop!

PS. for the fisrt Q: do you mean the old sentinel or the modern (they make the sentinel BP)?

I meant the modern series which has similar looking ball pens. In particular I am talking of this pencil:

post-71814-0-09653700-1333251675.jpg

Caran d'Ache Ecridor 1.1mm. Engraved "Geigy" - got it cheap. It was my first 1.1mm, and I LOVE IT. I can tolerate .9mm now, but sadly .7mm and .5mm seem to be "of the past" for me. My Rotring 600 Trio (.7mm) was my favorite for years - I wore one out.

Because of the minute differences in lead sizes, I bought an electronic micrometer. It was relatively inexpensive: under $25, shipped. It cleared up the mystery for me of why my Sheaffer would only work with Sheaffer lead - which was ever so slightly thicker.

Now if only I could figure out which lead some of my really old ring-top pencils would take. 1.1mm is too small, but 1.3mm is too big. I've tried everything I own, so I'm not sure where to go from there.

Other favorite pencils include a vintage "Bell Systems Property" Autopoint, and Esties - both with lovely thick lead and cheap to buy.

My new fav at work is Pilot Frixion eraseable gelpens (and highlighters). The best of both worlds: brilliantly colored gel ink, but completely and cleanly eraseable. Wonderful!!! And, bonus, it works by friction, so no eraser crumbs. My pencils have been neglected since I found these.

I meant the modern series which has similar looking ball pens. In particular I am talking of this pencil:

that looks nice. it reminds me more of the 300 series. i wouldn't mind adding that to my arsenal. :thumbup:

Caran d'Ache Ecridor 1.1mm. Engraved "Geigy" - got it cheap. It was my first 1.1mm, and I LOVE IT. I can tolerate .9mm now, but sadly .7mm and .5mm seem to be "of the past" for me. My Rotring 600 Trio (.7mm) was my favorite for years - I wore one out.

Because of the minute differences in lead sizes, I bought an electronic micrometer. It was relatively inexpensive: under $25, shipped. It cleared up the mystery for me of why my Sheaffer would only work with Sheaffer lead - which was ever so slightly thicker.

Now if only I could figure out which lead some of my really old ring-top pencils would take. 1.1mm is too small, but 1.3mm is too big. I've tried everything I own, so I'm not sure where to go from there.

Other favorite pencils include a vintage "Bell Systems Property" Autopoint, and Esties - both with lovely thick lead and cheap to buy.

My new fav at work is Pilot Frixion eraseable gelpens (and highlighters). The best of both worlds: brilliantly colored gel ink, but completely and cleanly eraseable. Wonderful!!! And, bonus, it works by friction, so no eraser crumbs. My pencils have been neglected since I found these.

nice bunch you have. i too have one of those "bell system property"... is that the one with the telephone dialing ball on the top?

Koh-I-Noor Toison d'Or 2 mm lead. A leadholder mechanical pencil. Solid as a rock...

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!

Koh-I-Noor Toison d'Or 2 mm lead. A leadholder mechanical pencil. Solid as a rock...

have it, love it!

apr-03: Parker VS 0.9 mm - Pentel High-Polymer 2B lead

today: auto point. twin point: red/blue with the ivory body; and graphite/green -the graphite came with a red, but i switched it with a green. i use them all as dry hiliters and the graphite for notations.

http://autopointinc.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/t/w/twinpoint.jpg

Aww yeahh! Rotring 600 user over here! I'm pretty sure this is a cult pencil, haha.

i'll be your stumbleine

i'll be your super queen

Parker 45 0.9 mm - Pentel High-Polymer 2B lead