The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Pencil Are You Using Today?

• Please log in to reply
1219 replies to this topic

#41 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2012 - 13:34

I am using a Pental 120 A3 dx 0.5mm lead, my favorite model of mechanical pencils, it also comes in 0.3mm, 0.7mm, and 0.9mm varities, color coded for ease and sanity's sake!

Edited by JakobS, 14 March 2012 - 13:34.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

Sponsored Content

#42 kolakhan

kolakhan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2012 - 14:37

i use a pencil more than a fountain pen.

please, please ..., don't tell this in fpn, seriously Posted Image Posted Image

#43 michaelH

michaelH

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:18

Hi, I WANT to be writing with an old Sheaffer flat top pencil that I bought the other day, but I have no lead. I think it takes 1.1 (0.9 is too small). Does anyone use these, and if so, can you point me to the right lead to buy? (I'm about to order the Autopoint leads on amazon, but don't know if that's right.)

Instead, since I'm working from home today, I'm using my daughter's BIC Velocity! :roflmho:

1.1mm? or 1.18mm?
1.18mm is the standard diameter of lead used in the very old pencils, of many brands, if not all. Other than ebay bargains, the most economical way of buying it for me has been the Yard-O-Led tube which contains a whole yard of leads: 12 x 3" lengths. In the UK I'd go here for it (no affiliation).

I nearly ordered the Yard-o-led, but didn't really want to snap them in half each time. I just finished an email exchange with someone at Autopoint and confirmed that their 1.1 lead is .046, not true 1.1. At first she treated them as synonymous, but after I threw around some info gleaned here (thanks impossiblebird) combined with some hard conversion comparison (thanks google calc) she responded that it was .046, and that I had a very good understanding of lead sizing. Yeah, well, that understanding isn't even a good 24 hours old yet, but hey, who's counting.

Thanks all, I'll be putting in my order in a few minutes, and now for the sake of posterity, Autopoint 1.1 mm lead is actually .046 lead!

#44 penrivers

penrivers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:05

After today I'll be using my old GREEN pentel Sharp!!! Yay I found it! It's been lost since last summer. Where did I leave it? In the pocket of my shorts I wore last! :roflmho: Found it earlier tonight! Yeeha!!

Thats quite a beautiful mechanical pencil.

#45 impossiblebird

impossiblebird

Everything stops for tea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:10

Hi, I WANT to be writing with an old Sheaffer flat top pencil that I bought the other day, but I have no lead. I think it takes 1.1 (0.9 is too small). Does anyone use these, and if so, can you point me to the right lead to buy? (I'm about to order the Autopoint leads on amazon, but don't know if that's right.)

Instead, since I'm working from home today, I'm using my daughter's BIC Velocity! :roflmho:

1.1mm? or 1.18mm?
1.18mm is the standard diameter of lead used in the very old pencils, of many brands, if not all. Other than ebay bargains, the most economical way of buying it for me has been the Yard-O-Led tube which contains a whole yard of leads: 12 x 3" lengths. In the UK I'd go here for it (no affiliation).

I nearly ordered the Yard-o-led, but didn't really want to snap them in half each time. I just finished an email exchange with someone at Autopoint and confirmed that their 1.1 lead is .046, not true 1.1. At first she treated them as synonymous, but after I threw around some info gleaned here (thanks impossiblebird) combined with some hard conversion comparison (thanks google calc) she responded that it was .046, and that I had a very good understanding of lead sizing. Yeah, well, that understanding isn't even a good 24 hours old yet, but hey, who's counting.

Thanks all, I'll be putting in my order in a few minutes, and now for the sake of posterity, Autopoint 1.1 mm lead is actually .046 lead!

:thumbup:
I assume that 0.046 inches is also an approximation: a rounding up or down after decimalization of a fraction of an inch ... :rolleyes:

#46 vinper

vinper

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2012 - 00:42

FaberCastell Perfect Pencil--super smooth on Rhodia paper. vinper

#47 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:28

today: pentel jolt shaker in blue

Posted Image
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#48 kolakhan

kolakhan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2012 - 15:06

Looks nice, really.

today: Staedtler Norica HB2.

#49 eliaselrod

eliaselrod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 15:41

Zebra Drafix, 0.5 mm, with Pentel HB lead. Light, cheap, reliable.

#50 michaelH

michaelH

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 16:59

My Autopoint "short leads" arrived in the mail 5 minutes ago, and fit perfectly, so today I'm using my vintage Sheaffer's Flat top pencil. The HB leads are a little harder and lighter than I'm accustomed to, so next time I order anything from them I'll get a pack of softer leads, but these will do wonderfully until then.

-Mike

#51 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,610 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:20

Looks nice, really.

today: Staedtler Norica HB2.

thank u! i got all 3 colors -blue, lime green and orange, but not the pink :happyberet: .

no affiliation: http://stores.ebay.c...d=p4634.c0.m322
Lovemy51 Posted Image

#52 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,610 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:51

My Autopoint "short leads" arrived in the mail 5 minutes ago, and fit perfectly, so today I'm using my vintage Sheaffer's Flat top pencil. The HB leads are a little harder and lighter than I'm accustomed to, so next time I order anything from them I'll get a pack of softer leads, but these will do wonderfully until then.

-Mike

i simply love the autopoints! they are so vintage looking.

i got the dual colors -black and green, blue and red- and use them as dry hiliters (1.1mm). i also have the all-american jumbos, regular, etc, in several of their colors and lead sizes.
Lovemy51 Posted Image

#53 orangos

orangos

The unexamined life probably needs a good scrub.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:06

Whatever is to hand, which tends to be one of my Lamy 2K 0.7mm, a Kuru Toga or a Faber Castell eMotion 1.4mm in pearwood. The latter is great except that only B leads are available, and I prefer 2B.
Posted Image

#54 Conan the Grammarian

Conan the Grammarian

Green Ink Brigadier

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:24

The latter is great except that only B leads are available, and I prefer 2B

Really? YOu're going to leave this teed up and not do anything with it?
Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [I think therefore I yam.]

#55 orangos

orangos

The unexamined life probably needs a good scrub.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2012 - 21:15

The latter is great except that only B leads are available, and I prefer 2B

Really? YOu're going to leave this teed up and not do anything with it?

Go for it. After a long week I'm too clobbered to take ship on the good ol' sea of troubles :-)
Posted Image

#56 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2012 - 00:26

Usin' Sheaffer Sentinel Deluxe set FP , MP.... .Blue.. stainless steel.. gf clip and band.

Fred

#57 cvasara

cvasara

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:11

Pencil? What's a pencil?

#58 PaperDarts

PaperDarts

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2012 - 17:12

An old Pentel .5 lead that was the first mechanical pencil I ever bought, 20+ years ago. These are the ones with the refillable erasers (a good generous size) covered by a plastic cap, and the "click" advance on the barrel. I bought about 5 of them right after that first one and they are all still going strong - my go-to mechanical pencil although I have others here and there.
"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

#59 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,610 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:49

Pencil? What's a pencil?

pen·cil/ˈpensəl/Noun: An instrument for writing or drawing, consisting of a thin stick of graphite or a similar substance enclosed in a long thin piece of...

smart alec! :happyberet:
Lovemy51 Posted Image

#60 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,610 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:51

no "stick of graphite" today... :embarrassed_smile:
Lovemy51 Posted Image