Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite

lapis

as a person lived on tanzania and zanzibar for a while i claim that tanzanite, not the ink, the stone is much blue than this ink, maybe private reserve tanzanite is a real tanzanite.

I agree on that it is not blue enough and sometimes I mix it with PE Sapphire. I do not like to use Sapphire alone as it is very dry. I hope it will have no negative consequences to mix.

I use PR Midnight Blues a lot. Wonderful colour. But has a tendency to not dry completely. PE Tanzanite works better.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Tanzanite

• Bo Bo Olson

• The Good Captain

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In search of the ideal blue-black I bought a bottle. It is the closest thing to ESSR that I know of. Very rich and dark, with some shading in a Custom 74 and a soft medium nib. I like it very much indeed.

Thanks for your review Mike. I have to say that, based on how your images look on my screen, I was disappointed in the color when I originally got a sample. I was looking for that barest hint of purple, which I didn't see in my sample. Based on that, I was disappointed in the ink, and even used the work "murky" to describe it in another thread.

BUT, this is the one ink that kept niggling in the back of my mind for some reason so I finally gave it a chance again. Oddly, it's become one of my favorite inks, and a go-to for everyday writing. I even prefer it to Shin-kai, which I like a lot.

Thanks again for your review!

Thanks for your review Mike. I have to say that, based on how your images look on my screen, I was disappointed in the color when I originally got a sample. I was looking for that barest hint of purple, which I didn't see in my sample. Based on that, I was disappointed in the ink, and even used the work "murky" to describe it in another thread.

BUT, this is the one ink that kept niggling in the back of my mind for some reason so I finally gave it a chance again. Oddly, it's become one of my favorite inks, and a go-to for everyday writing. I even prefer it to Shin-kai, which I like a lot.

How would you describe the difference between Shin Kai and PE Tanzanite?

How would you describe the difference between Shin Kai and PE Tanzanite?

I primarily use Fine nibs and my papers include HP LaserJet 24 lb., Staples Bagasse, and my Franklin planner pages. I use Rhodia only when I'm testing inks and writing reviews (none of which I've managed to upload yet).

On my "normal" papers, I see Shin-kai as a (mostly) flat, almost chalky light blue gray, depending on how much I press into the nib, which I don't typically like to do. It's a color that's very easy to look at for multiple pages of writing and it has a very distinctive and unassuming look. –I'd love to compare it with Tsuki-yo, which I don't have.

Tanzanite, to my eyes, brings a little something more to the party. It's more vibrant but it's certainly not over the top or in your face. I can see some shading, even on these papers. There's just a 3-dimentionality to it that I don't see in Shin-kai (with my papers and nibs). I have no idea why I didn't like it initially other than I was expecting it to be something that it's not.

I did some swabs on Staples Bagasse of both inks, along with Sailor Sei-boku and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, just for comparison. I can't scan it because my scanners are packed away at the moment, but I can take a photo when I get some good light. –Today was extremely overcast and all of my lighting is also in storage.

Edited by GeekyGirl

I primarily use Fine nibs and my papers include HP LaserJet 24 lb., Staples Bagasse, and my Franklin planner pages. I use Rhodia only when I'm testing inks and writing reviews (none of which I've managed to upload yet).

On my "normal" papers, I see Shin-kai as a (mostly) flat, almost chalky light blue gray, depending on how much I press into the nib, which I don't typically like to do. It's a color that's very easy to look at for multiple pages of writing and it has a very distinctive and unassuming look. –I'd love to compare it with Tsuki-yo, which I don't have.

Tanzanite, to my eyes, brings a little something more to the party. It's more vibrant but it's certainly not over the top or in your face. I can see some shading, even on these papers. There's just a 3-dimentionality to it that I don't see in Shin-kai (with my papers and nibs). I have no idea why I didn't like it initially other than I was expecting it to be something that it's not.

I did some swabs on Staples Bagasse of both inks, along with Sailor Sei-boku and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, just for comparison. I can't scan it because my scanners are packed away at the moment, but I can take a photo when I get some good light. –Today was extremely overcast and all of my lighting is also in storage.

Thank you for the description. I have Tanzanite and have been thinking of buying Shin Kai but perhaps I should go on using Tanzanite.

Thank you for the description. I have Tanzanite and have been thinking of buying Shin Kai but perhaps I should go on using Tanzanite.

I think it's very much worth your trying, especially if you use wider nibs than me or nicer, i.e. more coated papers. I have used it in an 18K fine stubbed Pelikan nib and I think it looks better with that nib than any others that I've tried.

Want a sample?

Edited by GeekyGirl

I find with use, that this Tanzanite is darker than Pelikan 4001 blue black and similar to the colour of ESSR when ESSR is about 10 minutes dry.

I think it's very much worth your trying, especially if you use wider nibs than me or nicer, i.e. more coated papers. I have used it in an 18K fine stubbed Pelikan nib and I think it looks better with that nib than any others that I've tried.

Want a sample?

That is very kind but I have decided to wait a while. I use F and EF nibs. I prefer thin japanese nibs and non glossy paper. Sailor Blue Black is also a nice alternative.

That is very kind but I have decided to wait a while. I use F and EF nibs. I prefer thin japanese nibs and non glossy paper. Sailor Blue Black is also a nice alternative.

I have an ink idea for you, for an alternative ink to Tanzanite that is different than yet equally as nice as Tanzanite, at least to my eyes. I just inked up a sample of Sailor Jentle Miruai, AKA "Seaweed Indigo." It is one of the former seasonal inks that, I believe, has been reintroduced in the regular Jentle line. It's a dark green/blue ink that is hard to define or describe in much the same way that Tanzanite is hard to describe. You would think that it's teal but it's not really that rather. It has a understated look that could work as an everyday ink, one that isn't bold and so isn't distracting you away from what you're writing. I think it could also hold its own in a conservative business environment against any blue black out there. It might be the last ink that I will ever feed my Pelikan M640 Mount Everest–I think Pelikans like seaweed indigo. Think dark "money green" that almost has some gray in it. It can also look black with certain nibs/papers. There aren't a lot of reviews for it but Mike at Inkdependence reviewed it, both at his blog, and on his YouTube channel.

Just a thought.

From the standpoint of an everyday writing ink (color) and from a business perspective

Edited by GeekyGirl

I have an ink idea for you, for an alternative ink to Tanzanite that is different than yet equally as nice as Tanzanite, at least to my eyes. I just inked up a sample of Sailor Jentle Miruai, AKA "Seaweed Indigo." It is one of the former seasonal inks that, I believe, has been reintroduced in the regular Jentle line. It's a dark green/blue ink that is hard to define or describe in much the same way that Tanzanite is hard to describe. You would think that it's teal but it's not really that rather. It has a understated look that could work as an everyday ink, one that isn't bold and so isn't distracting you away from what you're writing. I think it could also hold its own in a conservative business environment against any blue black out there. It might be the last ink that I will ever feed my Pelikan M640 Mount Everest–I think Pelikans like seaweed indigo. Think dark "money green" that almost has some gray in it. It can also look black with certain nibs/papers. There aren't a lot of reviews for it but Mike at Inkdependence reviewed it, both at his blog, and on his YouTube channel.

Just a thought.

From the standpoint of an everyday writing ink (color) and from a business perspective

Thank you! I will look at it :)

• 1 month later...

I have discovered something I have not noticed before in P E Tanzanite. If I hold something written to light it has purple sheen. Not the kind of sheen I do not like. This looks like it has gem stone powder in it.

• 1 year later...

Question about blue-black ink : I thought that a blue-black ink was a blue ink becoming black when drying. Am I wrong ? If I'm right there is not so many blue-black inks on the market. Is the Tanzanite a blue ink with black shades or a true blue-black ink ?

Question about blue-black ink : I thought that a blue-black ink was a blue ink becoming black when drying. Am I wrong ? If I'm right there is not so many blue-black inks on the market. Is the Tanzanite a blue ink with black shades or a true blue-black ink ?

A blue black ink is that: blue black. A blue ink that turns black when dried sounds more like an iron gall ink. However, some blue blacks are actually blue, like Pilot Blue Black. Tanzanite is a true blue black.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

The original Blue-Black inks did just that. They were a laboratory-made iron-gall ink that was a clear straw colour that was hard to see as you wrote.

Makers then added a blue dye so you could see what you were writing, The inks went down Blue and dried to Black as the ferro-gallic component oxidised to black. Hence the name.

Some modern Blue-Black inks (i.e. the now discontinued Mont Blanc Blue-Black and Lamy Blue-Black, as well as the current Pelikan Blue-Black, and I believe the Hero Blue-Black) are made to this recipe.

All the other Blue-Black inks are usually a blend of Blue and Black inks that have a colour between Blue and Black.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 6 months later...

Interesting. Mine was an impulse buy and I was actually looking for a nice turquoise.

It looks like dirty blue to me:

I tested it with my Parker Latitude which writes quite wet.

post-129865-0-25287300-1467540981_thumb.jpeg

Very interesting. I've not yet ever heard of anybody even thinking that this ink had provided any conception of any turquoise. No harm meant! But the color of your ink on my screens looks almost exactly like mine do. Glad you find it wet, too.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Oh, I see. I actually really like the color (a purplish blue-black or whatever) but for a nice turquoise (IMO) try and get an old Caran d'Ache Caribbean Sea. Unfortunately now discontinued but often still traceable e.g. on eBay.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)