Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite

lapis

Sorry, I read into your comment that the improved wetness was in the Tanzanite compared to most of the rest of the Edelstein lineup. People tend to say the Edelsteins run a little dry, and that Tanzanite is among the wettest of the line, so I was thinking you mean that Pelikan added some materials to make this one wetter than previous Edelstein inks, and was asking if the rest of the inks would follow suit.

Nonetheless, a good question! I bought all 9 and find them all quite wet. [A] in any case wetter than those 4001s possibly considered to be comparable (e.g. Tanzanite instead of 4001 blue-black). I haven't found any of the 9 to be as dry (let alone less dry) than any of the 8 4001s. [C] The Edlestein Tanzanite still isn't as wet (IMO) as PR's Tanzanite but that'd require a real task!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Tanzanite

• Bo Bo Olson

• The Good Captain

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Edelstein inks all say "EXTRA SOFT INK" on the box, too. They all predate these two new ones, which aren't even available here yet.

I personally consider my Edelsteins -- Topaz, Mandarin, Ruby and Sapphire -- to be drier inks. Not in the sense of scratchy, or poorly lubricated, or drying up in the pen. I just mean that they tame my wet vintage Pelikan pens. I get too much flow if I use Waterman Florida Blue or, say, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-jaku. But the Edelstein inks work perfectly. So I use dry in a good sense.

Of the 4001 inks, I regularly use only Royal Blue and Blue Black. I find a comparable dryness, in my pens, between these inks and the Edelsteins. Just to provide another data point.

Again, a good point. As mentioned above, I haven't really compared all 9 with a whole bunch of other inks. The only 4001 I use occasioanally is the blue-black. Also, all of my Souveräns are at most 8 or so years old. But I'm working on that, believe me.

Mike :vbg:

• 2 weeks later...

And I love it too! I'll get a scan done later but initially I find it just a little bit 'wetter' than the old-faithful 4001 Blue-Black

Until then.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

And here's the scan I promised/threatened. The deliberate mistake is that I refer to the paper as Clairefontaine but it's actually a sheet from a Rhodia pad. However, my Rhodia web notebook has the Clairefontaine logo on the first page so there you are.

fpn_1332952926__pelikan_edelstein_tanzanite_mini_review_300.jpg

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 2 weeks later...

does it behave like private reserve tanzanite??

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...

Loving this color today in my Medici...

Not loving the massive feathering and bleedthrough in my Leuchtturm 1917 work notebook. This was after several days of boring but excellent behavior from the Hemingway with MB MB.

I'm guessing this ink will be just fine on any of the Clairefontaine variants...

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

• 5 months later...

I would think a 'soft ink' is one with some shading, vs a supersaturated one.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I would think a 'soft ink' is one with some shading, vs a supersaturated one.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I just received a mail from Pelikan and they replied as follows (in this order): The Edelstein Ink now contains an additive which takes care of the inside of a piston filler pen and also enables a soft, gentle feeling when writing.

Thank you. So that's what they mean by "soft".

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

I just received a mail from Pelikan and they replied as follows (in this order): The Edelstein Ink now contains an additive which takes care of the inside of a piston filler pen and also enables a soft, gentle feeling when writing.

Thank you. So that's what they mean by "soft".

Thanks for the thanks!
What I don't get is why I don't see the comparison I made originally. It's gone. Who swiped it? Here it is again:
fpn_1502306431__edelstein_tanzanite_2.jp

• 3 months later...

as a person lived on tanzania and zanzibar for a while i claim that tanzanite, not the ink, the stone is much blue than this ink, maybe private reserve tanzanite is a real tanzanite.

Thanks for the review. I received a free bottle of Edelstein Tanzanite from Bittner along with the Pelikan Tortoise 800. I have not previously tried the Edelstein inks but love this one. I find the ink flow to be smoother than MB and Pelikan 4001.

After trying and enjoying a sample from Goulet, I've decided this will be my next ink purchase. Really very nice indeed.

Mike --- I'm blushing over here --- really, your idea of ink foreplay and real quickies just makes me Breathless.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Mike --- I'm blushing over here --- really, your idea of ink foreplay and real quickies just makes me Breathless.

Sorry, I don't see the connection here, but that other site there (on what 2044 movies to see before I die) does make me breathless. Ohhh.... did I ever tell you that what I like collecting almost as much as inks are movies in general?

Mike

Mike, it's even better that you don't get why your ink review, loving dedication to detail and follow up were anything but a quickie.

PS - my undergrad minor - Film / Visual Arts with an emphasis on films from the Weimer Republic.

And my favorite ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/22/Mabusegambler.jpg/220px-Mabusegambler.jpg

Edited by amberleadavis

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 7 months later...

"""People tend to say the Edelsteins run a little dry."""

4 or so years ago when I first came to the com, Waterman was considered a wet ink.....now people say it runs a little dry.

Many folks came in from Noodler's wet inks, which from what I read many are much wetter than Waterman's famouse wet ink, Floriday Blue.

It would also depend on what type of pen you have, a Wetter writing Pelikan will handle 4001 or Edelstein, where a dryer writing Waterman would have a problem with it.....which is why Waterman inks were wet...dry nibbed pen, and Pelikan ink dry....wet nibbed pens.

I'm about to ink it. '90-96 400 tortoise M...in I find a good regular flex in M or F often shades more than the wetter writing Semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex nibs. Depending on the ink.

On poor copy paper old 80-90 g stuff from when ever....I really don't worry about copy paper to remember what it is. I have my real paper stashed somewhere else.

If my wife bought the copy paper it is 80 g....like sending her to buy beer. (An exageration, some times she buys me great beers, like €22 a liter bottle....one of course...but still.

Me, I use 90g.....on that kind of paper 80-90g even using a Pelikan pen...it felt dry.

On Gmund 170g....nice and wet. With either I like the shading.

Also grabbed a pad of Clairefontaine Veloute 90 g, very nice shading of a light purple blue. It does shade in both light and heavier hand; even hamfisted.

On this paper it felt reqular, not dry nor wet.

Your paper will make a big difference to wet and dry feeling of an ink, along with if the pen is wet or dry.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson