Aurora 88 Small Sterling Silver

jar

As some of you might know, I do love Sterling Silver pens and recently Bert Oser of Bertram's Inkwell offered me a small Aurora 88 in Sterling silver at a very reasonable price. I'm not a really big Aurora fan but I do love some of my old 88s and 98s and my Talentum and this one had ...

http://www.fototime.com/976FB7D46F8ABD5/standard.jpg

a Stub nib.

Now if there is anything I love more than Sterling Silver pens it has to be Sterling silver pens with "STUB NIBS". I think Bert knew my weakness and that this was all just a plot to get me to sell yet another kidney (at this rate pretty soon I will have to start selling MY kidneys).

The pen itself arrived in a black velvet covered metal clam-shell case, rather subdued and a throwback to earlier times. The small size Aurora 88 is a cartridge/converter pen and there was no converter or cartridges included but one thing I certainly don't lack are Aurora/Parker/ST Dupont cartridges and converters, so that was not an issue.

The pen itself is the classic modern Aurora 88 cigar shape:

http://www.fototime.com/5844B198A5DC772/standard.jpg

with a plastic section that is long and gently tapered and a snap on cap.

http://www.fototime.com/68193D2EBDA0905/standard.jpg

The overall size is what I would call Classic midsize. Here it is between an OMAS Milord and a Signum Orione.

http://www.fototime.com/EC48145D7768416/standard.jpg

It's the nib though that moves this pen from the "Really Nice" category to "WOW!"

http://www.fototime.com/FF6AD3F71C5AE72/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/7990E526E106679/standard.jpg

Even though this is a relatively small nib it puts down a luscious line with good variation.

http://www.fototime.com/0BEC29226732E28/standard.jpg

If like me you want a nice pen that is reliable, pretty and that puts down a line with character, this should be one pen to consider.

My Website

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• humblescribbler

• Moondust

• pelman

Top Posters In This Topic

Another excellent review jar. It really is a simple elegant pen. I am not sure if this is a fair question, how do you compare this to your Legacy Stub nib?

******save the kidneys********

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

Another excellent review jar. It really is a simple elegant pen. I am not sure if this is a fair question, how do you compare this to your Legacy Stub nib?

****** save the kidneys********

That's not really a fair comparison mostly because the Legacy stub is simply much wider than this one. This is more like one of my Conway Stewart small nib Cursive Italics, maybe a "58" size nib. The Legacy is one of the old Ft Madison stubs and so just covers a bunch of real estate.

My Website

Wow! What a beautiful pen that is. I'm collecting silver pens on a wish list for the time being and this one is definitely on it :wub:

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you may just find you get what you need

Rolling Stones

Wow! What a beautiful pen that is. I'm collecting silver pens on a wish list for the time being and this one is definitely on it :wub:

Great, I've been doing a series of reviews on Sterling Silver pen so maybe some are on your list or might interest you.

My Website

Another great "metal" review, thank youI I love the fact that this sterling has a plastic section which I need on any pen of substance.

Do you feel that the weight is significantly more than a regular Aurora 88 or maybe just a little bit?

ETA: and actually Aurora sections in general are shaped very nicely to my writing style.

Edited by humblescribbler

Another great "metal" review, thank youI I love the fact that this sterling has a plastic section which I need on any pen of substance.

Do you feel that the weight is significantly more than a regular Aurora 88 or maybe just a little bit?

ETA: and actually Aurora sections in general are shaped very nicely to my writing style.

I don't have a standard size Aurora 88 for comparison but will try to weigh this one if I get a chance.

If there is a drawback I'd say it was the plastic section; I find Sterling sections far easier to manage and that they don't get as slippery as the plastic sections.

My Website

If there is a drawback I'd say it was the plastic section; I find Sterling sections far easier to manage and that they don't get as slippery as the plastic sections.

Interesting point. I may be gripping (all my pens) too tightly. :hmm1: I can only use metal sections successfully if they are lightly knurled, otherwise the plastic ones aren't as affected by the perspiration on my fingers. Gorgeous pen though -- I keep coming back to this thread just to stare! (And of course, that's due to the great photo shots. Would that I could. *sigh*)

Interesting point. I may be gripping (all my pens) too tightly. :hmm1: I can only use metal sections successfully if they are lightly knurled, otherwise the plastic ones aren't as affected by the perspiration on my fingers. Gorgeous pen though -- I keep coming back to this thread just to stare! (And of course, that's due to the great photo shots. Would that I could. *sigh*)

Not all metal sections are equal.

Steel tableware can also get slippery when damp while Sterling Silverware does not. There really is quite a difference.

My Website

Great, I've been doing a series of reviews on Sterling Silver pen so maybe some are on your list or might interest you.

I'm almost sure I've stumbled upon some of those reviews. Is there an easy way to find them? In general I browse, find and then forget where to find it again...

The pictures of this pen set a train of thought in motion - I found I don't really take to the Montblanc silver pens, there is a Meisterstuck 144 that I found beautiful and it slowly faded away. So I was wondering why this Aurora has swept me off my feet (pens do that as we all know..) and the Meisterstuck didn't so much. I think it's because there is no logo identifying as this or that brand, there is just the pen with it's shape, pattern etc. This Aurora has a beautiful clip... well, back to dry bread&water in the hope that someday....

(Unless of course I simply didn't see the logo on the pen - is there one?)

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you may just find you get what you need

Rolling Stones

I'm almost sure I've stumbled upon some of those reviews. Is there an easy way to find them? In general I browse, find and then forget where to find it again...

The pictures of this pen set a train of thought in motion - I found I don't really take to the Montblanc silver pens, there is a Meisterstuck 144 that I found beautiful and it slowly faded away. So I was wondering why this Aurora has swept me off my feet (pens do that as we all know..) and the Meisterstuck didn't so much. I think it's because there is no logo identifying as this or that brand, there is just the pen with it's shape, pattern etc. This Aurora has a beautiful clip... well, back to dry bread&water in the hope that someday....

(Unless of course I simply didn't see the logo on the pen - is there one?)

There is branding on the cap band and nib but that's about it.

So far we've looked at the following:

• Aurora Medium 88 Stub
  • Ferrari da Varese Savant
  • Ferrari da Varese Yesterday
  • Ferrari da Varese Botticelli MOP
  • Ferrari da Varese Thin pen that I call "Tony"
  • Grifos Nyloes Medium
  • Grifos Nyloes Checkerboard Guiloche Broad
  • Montegrappa Privilege Broad
  • Montegrappa Juliet Medium
  • Montegrappa Reminiscence Vermeil Broad
  • Montegrappa 80th anniversary Broad
  • Montegrappa 302 Medium
  • Montegrappa 402 Medium FP and BP set
  • Sheaffer Legacy Stub
  • Sheaffer Legacy Heritage Victorian Medium
  • Sheaffer Targa 1006x Medium
  • Waterman Gentleman Fine
  • Yard-o-Led Viceroy Victorian Grand Broad
  • Yard-o-Led Viceroy Barleycorn Grand Broad
  • Yard-o-Led Viceroy Victorian Pocket Medium
  • Yard-o-Led Smythson Lined Standard size Medium
  • Yard-o-Led Corinthian Medium

They should all be listed in the Index pinned at the top of this forum.

My Website

@jar

Thanks! More beautiful things to look at - which is exactly what I'm going to do now :thumbup:

Rolling Stones

@jar

Thanks! More beautiful things to look at - which is exactly what I'm going to do now :thumbup:

Well, for Sterling Silver and Pretty there are also

Montegrappa Espressione which is sterling silver section and furniture with a resin body and the Montegrappa Symphony that is sterling silver furniture and section with a celluloid body. They should be in the index as well although I just did a review on the Brown Espressione that I don't think has made it into the index yet.

My Website

Steel tableware can also get slippery when damp while Sterling Silverware does not. There really is quite a difference.

Hmm, so true but I've never thought of it in those parameters before. Do you think it's due to surface tension? Or friction? Temperature differences between the metal and the skin? There must be some identifiable property in the silver that helps fingers to grip it differently than stainless steel or aluminum or chrome.

Getting a whole new perspective on metal sections!

Hmm, so true but I've never thought of it in those parameters before. Do you think it's due to surface tension? Or friction? Temperature differences between the metal and the skin? There must be some identifiable property in the silver that helps fingers to grip it differently than stainless steel or aluminum or chrome.

Getting a whole new perspective on metal sections!

I imagine that the answer involves a whole host of factors, silver seems to warm quicker than most steels, it is softer and so develops a patina and micro-scratches, perhaps other factors as well.

My Website