Romillo Plumín K

Ondina

Álvaro, nice to see you here.

Look forward to any feedback on why eyedropper in the essential writer ebonite pens. That's my obstacle.

Hi Sam!

I'm sorry you didn't get earlier feedback on EDs - my personal preference is ED - so that is what drew me to ordering the Essential Black!

I also convert suitable other makes to ED, the big black pen that has never been uninked since it landed here in June 2010 is my Aleksandra by Wiland in Poland. That pen never lets me down as an ED, and I'm expecting the Romillo to be of similar quality and ability.......... so don't give up - maybe Alvaro didn't read your request!

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• Ondina

• Chris Chalmers

• handwriter

Álvaro, nice to see you here.

Look forward to any feedback on why eyedropper in the essential writer ebonite pens. That's my obstacle.

Hi Sam!

I'm sorry you didn't get earlier feedback on EDs - my personal preference is ED - so that is what drew me to ordering the Essential Black!

I also convert suitable other makes to ED, the big black pen that has never been uninked since it landed here in June 2010 is my Aleksandra by Wiland in Poland. That pen never lets me down as an ED, and I'm expecting the Romillo to be of similar quality and ability.......... so don't give up - maybe Alvaro didn't read your request!

Thanks for your note, Chris. Alvaro's reply from using their website form, including a price quote with the K nib, specifically said for me to reply back with additional questions, otherwise I could use the enclosed email address for PayPal payment....so I responded to that. Also my above posts were not paid attention to.

My concern about an eyedropper being the only choice in the essential writer model is not so much a question of writing quality which is mostly a function of the nib and feed. It was questions about leaking at seals, increased hand temp expanding air and leading to nib leaking and/or flow changes, and then inside the ebonite barrel, having inks of various pH ranges, compatibility, rinsing, and ink bonding to ebonite. Some of the Sailor/Pilot Japanese inks have pH of 10+, while other inks can be extremely acidic (< 2.5pH). There are many reasons that other pen companies invented sacs, pistons, converters, etc. to deal with the limitations of eyedroppers, so I didn't understand the limited option with a $1,200+ pen. To be honest, if he had said that I could hook a universal converter into the back of the Classic Writer feed, I would have purchased one by now.

But I have ruled out dealing with this company for their lack of customer responsiveness. I would not want to be stuck owning a pen that only has contacts in Spain, have a problem, and find inadequate support. I figure if they are not even motivated enough to respond to a single follow up for a new sale, support would likely follow that same pattern. That may sound unfair, but using this guideline has served me well in the past.

Good luck to Romillo and those that choose to buy their pens.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 1 month later...

I own several Romillos and they are simply incredible pens, quality and innovation wise. My latest one has a Plumín K. A truly vintage, incredible flex on demand nib. The firm specializes in making custom pens for the owners with total personalization including the nib, with a know-how and customer attention that surpasses the most demanding clientèle. The young man in front of the firm is not only a pleasure to deal with but a true gentleman and it somehow leaks into his pens and nibs. After owning Nakayas, MontBlancs and a good number of fountain pens from very well known makers, I can sincerely congratulate myself for having found Romillos. A top quality pen including nibs made ex-nihilo for the customer and customized to the slightest detail may not be for everyone, but comparing to others, it's not only a bargain, it's a dream come true, as someone said in a post here.

If you ever wanted to own a pen made in the late 1890's but just for you nib included, don't hesitate. I hope to have the time to make a review in a few days to explain why these are simply, THE FOUNTAIN PENS.

Regards to all.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Interesting topic....specially for a long-time Romillopens owner and fountain pen collector of American makers.

While I would not add any extra to the discussion (being a subject by opinion will to objective ;) ), I just would like to provide some extra information, on something probably no discussed so far, the new #9 Nib fully hand made by Romillopens. In particular, take a look to the geometry of the nib (and dimensions).

I am adding a few pics of some of my Romillopens including #6, #8. I am sorry I do not have a pic of my LE sporting the discussed K nib, maybe once I will be back at home I will take a few shots.

Cheers,

PS there are a few incorrect statements regarding the feasibility of today's eyedroppers pens, but again as I said, I will not going into that discussion (it is summer time, and Romillo is waiting for me for sharing a few cold beers in Madrid, so my visit to Spain will get better in a few hours ;) )

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w374/JLMLWWW/5f24b51e60ffb9d62f099d4573d3c1e7.jpg

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w374/JLMLWWW/9be28f4a50da9cdbc8ce02f66f28ad6e.jpg

#9 nib is the last one starting from left

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w374/JLMLWWW/cb877dd3613410d4a949f8feeb36760e.jpg

The pen made out of ivory celluloid is just an edition of two pens, out of catalogue of course ;)

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w374/JLMLWWW/64889aede83c5c39614c9ff6c27f2f84.jpg