Ce Levi Nox

theabysswithin

Disclaimer: A $150 discount was offered with the promise of a review on FPN.

The Nox: Introduction

I love the design of the Nox, other than one thing – the pen cap has a single ring in the middle of the cap band, and that, in my opinion, threw the design a little off. The Colossus has two rings in the “cap band” region that I think looks much better. I emailed Cameron requesting that the cap band be removed totally so that the pen might look more symmetrical, with the design of the pen cap mirroring the blind cap. At first, Cameron replied that my request was not possible – the bronze sections beneath the ebonite exterior would be too thin. I then requested for the cap band to have two rings instead of one, and Cameron agreed, hence my pen was a go.

A couple of weeks later, he emailed to let me know that he rethought his design, and he was able to accommodate my original design request after all, at no extra charge. I am impressed by his customer service.

Here it is:

post-75062-0-76088000-1331095376.jpg

1. Appearance and Design (9/10)

To me, there are two basic pen designs, the torpedo and the cylinder. This pen is cylindrical, but unlike other cylindrical pens, the edges of this pen are, for lack of a better word, sharp. It looks like an oversize cigarette, especially because there is no clip. The pen also does not post, but that is not an issue for me since I don’t post my pens.

I love how my pen turned out, and I do like it better than the current Nox design with a single ring in the middle of the cap band. But the pen does look kind of… plain. If I could choose all over again, I just might asked for the cap band, but with two rings. I wish, too, that the pen has a logo or insignia of some kind. Right now, I do feel like my pen is unsigned work of art, and that is such a pity.

2. Construction and Quality (10/10)

This is my first ebonite pen, but it won’t be my last. I love the warmth of the material. The ebonite is well-polished, and it looks and feels very good in the hand. The construction and quality of work is so superb, I can’t find anywhere to complain about, even if I wanted to nit-pick.

3. Weight and Dimensions (10/10)

The weight and dimensions are available on Cameron’s website. It’s an ebonite pen with a bronze core, so its weight feels closer to stainless steel flighters pens rather than vintage pens. I love the weight and dimensions of this pen. It’s balanced, fits my hand, heavy enough that I feel it in my hand, and light enough that I feel like I can write forever with the Nox.

4. Nib and Performance (10/10)

I asked for a Sheaffer Triumph nib for the pen, like the one Jim Hughes has. I asked for an XF, but he didn’t have one, so I settled for an FM. It writes beautifully, exactly the way I like it. I'm thinking I might get the pen reground into CI someday... or I might not.

post-75062-0-07711000-1331095450.jpg

5. Filling system and Maintenance (9/10)

The pen is my first button filler. It operates smoothly, and seems to hold a decent amount of ink. It’s a cooler filler system than the C/Cs that I’m used to, but cleaning the pen to change ink colour is more of a hassle.

post-75062-0-31763400-1331095410.jpg

6. Cost and Value (10/10) at $300 (with the review discount), and (8/10) at $450

I love the Nox. The workmanship and construction is excellent, and I really like the feel of the pen in my hand. At $450 though, the Nox is only about a couple of steps behind a Nakaya, and I can easily see myself saving a little bit more and going for that instead.

7. Conclusion: (58/60)

It’s one of my favourite pens. I love it very much. It feels right in my hand, warm, not too light and not too heavy. It is more work to flush ink completely out of the pen to change ink compared to a C/C, but the pleasure I have from using this pen more than makes up for the hassle. The entire experience has been a blast indeed, the communication with Cameron, the anticipation, and then seeing the pen in person. Highly highly recommended.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimhughes

• French

• ethernautrix

• Uncle Red

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gorgeous pen. I'm anxiously awaiting mine (I also took advantage of the $150 discount in exchange for a review). Enjoy your new pen.

Glad you are enjoying your pen. Cameron does fantastic work and is a pleasure to work with. I'm loving my XF Triumph nib. The line width is perfect. Just using it puts a rosie glow on otherwise onerous daily tasks. I'm not a poster or a clip user so the sleek design works beautifully for me. It was so popular a pen here in New Mexico, my mate Doug C, ordered one right after my pen's arrival in July. I'm somewhat of a small pen nut, so I was quite surprised when the NMPCC chief Chi-Town ordered one. He is a Rugby or Foot ball sized Line Backer of a gentleman. His pen is in line for manufacture. I can hardly wait to see it, it's a RHR or Red ebonite pen. Great review, beautiful pen and superb pictures. Looking forward to French's review of the pen. Jim

Edited by jimhughes

This is so pretty! I like the change to the design on the cap rings. It looks more balanced somehow.

I didn't know he made these pens in ebonite. I would probably break down and buy one, especially if it were possible to have one made in red/black ebonite.

It could be the newest colour is Red/Black or Mottled HR as Waterman, et alia used to call it. All I recall is Mike saying it was Red Ebonite. I'd give Cameron a call, EMail and see what the actual fact of the matter is, celevipens. Jim

stay tuned for my review, as my pen is being made in a red-black, woodgrain ebonite bunny01.gif (I think this was my first use of the dancing bunny)

Cameron let me know the cost is a little higher for this ebonite because he thinks it looks much better in a polished finish. He is working on my pen now, hopefully I will have it in my hands within the month. A review will follow after some time to put it through it paces.

French

French's pen is done as of today (excepting some time for testing). I'll be taking some pictures tomorrow. The rubber is similar to, but not the same as, vintage Waterman ripple. Very pretty, if I do say so myself. I think you'll like it French.

stay tuned for my review, as my pen is being made in a red-black, woodgrain ebonite bunny01.gif (I think this was my first use of the dancing bunny)

Cameron let me know the cost is a little higher for this ebonite because he thinks it looks much better in a polished finish. He is working on my pen now, hopefully I will have it in my hands within the month. A review will follow after some time to put it through it paces.

French

French's pen is done as of today (excepting some time for testing). I'll be taking some pictures tomorrow. The rubber is similar to, but not the same as, vintage Waterman ripple. Very pretty, if I do say so myself. I think you'll like it French.

I am VERY MUCH looking forward to seeing that. I'm sure it's gorgeous!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Ether:

Deja Vu all over again. We've had this tease before. You know you want one. The $150 off for a review still applies. Time for you to make the move. Just Do It. Jim

Ether:

Deja Vu all over again. We've had this tease before. You know you want one. The $150 off for a review still applies. Time for you to make the move. Just Do It. Jim

:-)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Oh maaaaaaannnnnn!!! What a beautiful new model!

I'm gonna be tempted to get another Nox! But I think ethernautrix should be able to get in line before me. :thumbup:

And nice review, theabysswithin - I hope you are enjoying your Nox as much as I like mine!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Cameron:

Another beautiful piece of work. Virtually identical to The Waterman 52 I forced on another of you satisfied clients, Doug C , awhile back. We just have to work harder on Ethernautrix DC. She knows she wants one, it just that commitment she signed in blood to Nakaya. Off Topic: Lakes should be thawing out for you in the next week or two, thinking of the current weather patterns. Jim

Funny, but I was just about to email Chitown, the New Mexico Club President about his order (Red Ebonite).

Before I had a chance to do this he emailed that his pen was being worked on.

Jim Hughes and I have the same pen (I am a pathetic copycat), with the same Sheaffer Triumph nib.

Truly a great pen. If you have a jones for one of Cameron's pens, don't delay.

the Danitrio Fellowship