List Of Possible Nib Substitutions

VillersCotterets

May I offer my small contribution to this excellent thread, which I also think should be pinned:

With the Kaigelu 316 fountain pen, one can replace the original Kaigelu nib unit and converter with a Bock #250 nib unit and a standard international cartridge converter, and a good pen becomes an excellent writer. Plus one can easily choose and alternate between different Bock nib sizes using the same pen, ranging from EF, F, M and Broad nibs to 1.1 to 1.5 mm italics, in Stainless Steel, one or two tone nibs that are relatively inexpensive (~10 USD), to titanium semi-flexy Bock nibs which are really springy (~45 USD) and pure gold Bock nibs (~100 USD).

Although this is more than merely a nib substitution, actually it is a complete nib unit substitution rather than a nib substitution, the process is not technically difficult and is described in great detail in the FPN thread found below. I hope this might be useful for someone who might be interested. Regards,

Photios

Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 EF Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302951-kaigelu-316-modification-250-6-bock-nib-beaufort-ink-converter/

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/IMG_0480_zpssgjv3ctj.jpg

Fig 1. Original Kaigelu 316 pen modified with EF Bock stainless steel two-tone nib and a BeaufortInk ink converter.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/IMG_0476_zpsmyfrwwlx.jpg

Fig 2. Kaigelu 316 pen.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/0284EFC7-0FD1-4F62-B08C-51262CF87B96_zps9spmhonv.jpg

Fig 3. Kaigelu (which means kangaroo) 316 pen cap finial, with the baby kangaroo resting in mother Kangaroo's pouch. Please note at the periphery of the finial, the swarm of 18 birds (looks like they could possibly be martins or swallows, the birds that herald the coming of spring, according to some traditions), flying in a cycle around the kangaroos. There is a lot of art in this pen indeed!!

Regards,

Photios

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VillersCotterets

• Scrawler

• dipper

• carlos.q

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this very usefull guide. I was wondering if anyone knows of #6 size nibs that would fit Jinhao x450, x750 or 159 apart from the Goulet nibs? Having a real hard time getting info on this.

Cheers!

Edited by dauodwa

http://www.argonpath.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Samurai-Ronin-l-300x150.jpg

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

Thanks for this very usefull guide. I was wondering if anyone knows of #6 size nibs that would fit Jinhao x450, x750 or 159 apart from the Goulet nibs? Having a real hard time getting info on this.

Cheers!

You may want to try:

1. Fountain pen revolution in India, but you need to contact them first to make sure they recommend a #6 nib that would fit your pens. In my experience the feeds need a little modification to accomodate the FPR nibs.

2. http://www.xfountainpens.com in the US sell #6 Knox nibs for $6, but you also need to contact them beforehand to make sure their nibs fit your pens.

3. or you can try learning how to grind the existing nibs in your pens to your satisfaction, but you will need to buy some nib polishing materials first.

4. In my opinion, Jowo nibs sold by Goulet are definitely worth it, and they fit your pens greatly. Anderson pens in Milwaukee sell the same Jowo nibs a little cheaper, plus their international postage is way less expensive too. Also FPnibs in Spain sells the same nibs a little cheaper (~10 USDs) plus their international postage is only 6 USD. You can try contacting Esther at FPNibs during working hours via chatting in their website. They also have an ebay store. You may want to try this route too, that is what I would do.

5. In all honesty, I do not know if any of #6 Bock nibs would easily fit these pens, as I have not attempted it myself. My guess is that they would be a tight fit.

Hope this could help. Regards,

Photios

Edited by Frank66

Thanks Frank, you're a legend!

http://www.argonpath.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Samurai-Ronin-l-300x150.jpg

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

Cheers!

Knox has their K35 nibs that fit. I have a 1.1 and a 1.9 on a white 159. They also come in fine medium and bold. Edited by Ichiro

Knox has their K35 nibs that fit. I have a 1.1 and a 1.9 on a white 159. They also come in fine medium and bold.

It is nice to know that K35 nibs can fit into the Jinhao 159. Thanks for sharing with us. I will have one ordered from xfountainpens in the near future . Actually I am waiting for the new 0.6 mm calligraphy nibs to become available again for the Nemosine Singularity pens and I am definitely going to try them out. Thanks again.

Thanks Frank, you're a legend!

Nothing of the kind, I am just trying to help best way I can. I am relatively new in fountain pens myself, less than 2 years, so I do have a lot to learn also. Best Regards

Edited by Frank66

I just bought a #6 nib from franklin-christoph.com (in person at the Chicago Pen Show) and they installed it into my (Paradise Pens) Padrino Trend. (I wanted a finer point than the M that it came with, and our local store closed).

Side by side photo - I see a strong resemblance. They have the same radius as well (nest/stack on top of each other without a gap).

Paradise Pens has a fine available, at a similar price to the factory (non-customized) nibs from Franklin-Christoph. It now writes finer, not sure I'd

call it an EF, but ...

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/fountain-pen-nibs.html

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/CraigS63/pens/P5070259_zpsfsc3dqgt.jpg

• 7 months later...

Another nib substitution solution:

The semi-flexible Bock Titanium nib can fitted in the Jinhao 159 and x750.

Also, the Bock Titanium semi-flexible nib housing unit can be fitted in the Kaigelu 316 pen.

See References:

Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/315921-titanium-bock-nib-kaigelu-316-beaufort-ink/

Edited by Frank66

• 3 months later...

An Ahab flex nib will slide right into any Nemosine (Singularity, Fission or Neutrino) using the Nemosine feed.

Will a Waterman 52V nib work in a Montblanc 144?

+1 for pinning

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/D9D09214-A190-48DD-BB47-966C9C549E40_zpsf5gavygs.jpg

The Beaufort #5 Medium nib can be easily swapped into a TWSBI Eco pen. The advantage over the OEM nib is that Beaufort nib is not as stiff and can exert quite a bit of line variation for a steel nib.

Has anyone tried a Franklin-Christoph #5 nib in a Pilot CH 92? I love the 92, but I'd like some other nib options.

Thanks.

Thought I'd look in here and ask the question about the size of the Sheaffer Prelude's nib. But after I got into the thread I found that I'd already asked the question a while back!

I've never gotten an answer to it, so I figure it's all right to ask again, and my re-stated question will also serve to bump the thread, which wouldn't be necessary if this topic were pinned.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• 1 year later...

Pelikan M80x nibs are size #6. I just popped mine into the Conid Regular Bulkfiller for a trial. :)

To wit - my Pelikonid:

Is it reasonable, then, to infer that one can put a #6 Titanium on a Pelikan M8xx? If so there may be an M805 in my future.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Is it reasonable, then, to infer that one can put a #6 Titanium on a Pelikan M8xx? If so there may be an M805 in my future.

Absolutely. The Pelikan M8xx takes a #6 nib, though length of these certainly varies across brands as you can see in the image I posted of the Pelikan nib against the Conid / Bock #6. Go forth and experiment!

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

• 5 months later...

Great idea to list these substitutions in one place. Only a beginner with this but can add that the Pilot Metro steel nibs fit the Plumix and vice versa. I think they also fit the Perea, Ted A, I think Brian Goulet did Q&A question on this.

Just noticed minddance's question: I have a Stipula stub nib in my Loom, recommended to me by The Writing Desk. It works perfectly but I think I prefer a different pen to the Loom. The Stipula nib also fits my Live in You Future pen too and I think I'll leave it there. Sorry, don't know the sizes of the nibs but hope that helps.

Edited by Purplecate

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick addition to the already mentioned lists. These were some of my trials.

I was having some issues with my diplomat magnum and Faber Castell, and with exams looming over my head, I decided to play around with my pens and just try tweaking and swapping some nibs around (a perfect way to destress :D ).

It may not be completely useful or helpful to everyone, but I started when I was having issues with diplomat magnum and FC ambition nibs.

Bottom line is if anyone is having issues with FC Ambition nibs and want a cheaper replacement, a diplomat magnum is perfect or if someone has an extra FC nib lying around (like I did) and wants to try it out, switching it onto a magnum is perfect. Although it requires some work to get the nib off of the magnum. The FC nib even performed better on the magnum than it did on the Ambition in my case (less scratchiness, and it was an EF nib, but after the switch to magnum, it writes wonderfully and surprisingly with more of a fine wet line.

And writing on Tomoe River paper with a smooth writing nib and a beautiful Pelikan Turquoise ink does not necessarily require a reason :D

I do have plans to play around with some more nibs once my tests and homework are all done :D

post-135499-0-34228400-1551138312_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...