List Of Possible Nib Substitutions

VillersCotterets

My favourite nib swap is a Lamy Z50 nib on a Platinum Preppy pen. The nib won't slide on easily, it helps to grind a little bit off the feeder left and right, but once the nib is on the pen, you'll never want to change it again anyway. A very cheap solution for people like me who can't do much with fine nibs.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VillersCotterets

• Scrawler

• dipper

• carlos.q

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

My TWSBI Mini nib collar unit screwed in perfectly to a Levenger True Writer. And the Levenger cap fit back on fine (does not fit if a larger TWSBI 530/540 nib is used. I don't know about the 580). But I am wondering if an Edison #5 unit with collar is the same size....

I recently found that a Waterman #2 nib will fit perfectly into the feed and collar of a Pelikan M2xx or M4xx nib unit. The feed can't keep up if it's a flexy nib, but still a pretty nice pen option for vintage nib on modern pen.

I recently read somewhere the the Pelikan M2XX nib is a standard #5 nib size. So that would certainly open up the field a bit.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

• 3 weeks later...

Will Sheaffer fineline screw-in nib units fit any other pen, maybe in an Esty or a Pelikan?

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Have a Franklin Christoph #5 Masuyama stub in my Visconti Van Gogh Midi. Fits perfectly. The same nib also fits my Delta Vintage.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I recently found that a Waterman #2 nib will fit perfectly into the feed and collar of a Pelikan M2xx or M4xx nib unit. The feed can't keep up if it's a flexy nib, but still a pretty nice pen option for vintage nib on modern pen.

I recently read somewhere the the Pelikan M2XX nib is a standard #5 nib size. So that would certainly open up the field a bit.

I have used quite a few Pelikan pens and nibs. I have M200s and M400s now, and their nibs per se are superior nibs. The only thing you are going to get out of the Waterman substitution is flex, because that nib isn't going to have anything else better than a Pelikan nib.

I have put a Waterman nib into a Reform 1745, and that was a miniscule improvement over the Reform, because the Waterman was 14K, increasing the snob value, and it is flexy where the Reform was not, increasing the flexy snob value.

Rather than downgrading Pelikans by putting in foreign #5 nibs, why not take the #5 nibs, 14K preferably, and put them in cheaper pens, like Reforms, Esterbrooks, etc. Sheaffer and Waterman 14K nibs are excellent for the purpose of increasing the snob value or outrageous sacrilege value of doing it. In these cases you can always reverse the process. Generally no harm done and a lot of good clean fun and skills learned.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

It's too bad this list didn't get stickied and isn't being maintained anymore.

I was able to friction fit a Goulet #6 nib into the housing of the Italix Churchman's Prescriptor, in case that helps anyone.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad that I got diverted from another thread to this one.

I have been wanting to make a frankenpen for about a decade. I did try, at one time, by putting a medium Sheaffer nib onto a Sheaffer cartridge fountain pen. Unfortunately, the nib and feed did not quite match and so it never was able to actually write :doh: . I then put the old steel nib back in and the cartridge pen writes to this day, albeit with a finer nib than I'd like.

Can anyone tell me what size nib, or feed, the Sheaffer Prelude has? That's the extra nib that I have. I'd really like to get it into a working fountain pen.

So is this #5 and #6 designation just a description of the width of the feed? All these years I've been under the impression that the nibs and feeds were just about all proprietary, made to be mostly incompatible, with nib and/or feed swapping limited to rare coincidences, the same nib/feed used in different fountain pens of the same manufacturer, or possible for someone with a machine shop or carving skills.

I also have a spare Kaweco Sport nib around here that I might want to try fitting into another pen. Can anyone say what # the nib or feed of the modern Kaweco Sport is?

I agree that it'd be great to have this thread be more prominent; it would be more likely to be updated then, too :thumbup: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Please pin this! This thread is one of the best examples of fp user ingenuity. Tinkerers unite!

Sailor fude de mannen ground thinner at the tail, put in a Noodler's Konrad. So. Much. Fun.

No name (manuscript equivalent?) calligraohy nibs prised from penless sections fit with no alteration in Nib Creapers. They are ridiculously smooth fat stubs, though I am still working on the feed:nib:ink relationship to keep it juicy.

Now I just need something that will take pilot parallel nibs/nib units...

Fox Point

• 5 months later...

I'm glad that I got diverted from another thread to this one.

I have been wanting to make a frankenpen for about a decade. I did try, at one time, by putting a medium Sheaffer nib onto a Sheaffer cartridge fountain pen. Unfortunately, the nib and feed did not quite match and so it never was able to actually write :doh: . I then put the old steel nib back in and the cartridge pen writes to this day, albeit with a finer nib than I'd like.

Can anyone tell me what size nib, or feed, the Sheaffer Prelude has? That's the extra nib that I have. I'd really like to get it into a working fountain pen.

So is this #5 and #6 designation just a description of the width of the feed? All these years I've been under the impression that the nibs and feeds were just about all proprietary, made to be mostly incompatible, with nib and/or feed swapping limited to rare coincidences, the same nib/feed used in different fountain pens of the same manufacturer, or possible for someone with a machine shop or carving skills.

I also have a spare Kaweco Sport nib around here that I might want to try fitting into another pen. Can anyone say what # the nib or feed of the modern Kaweco Sport is?

I agree that it'd be great to have this thread be more prominent; it would be more likely to be updated then, too :thumbup: .

The Kaweco Sport (modern version) is not a #5 nib. Look at the photo below with a #5 BOCK nib. It's much smaller!

http://i.imgur.com/mG0kxYR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gfan4T3.jpg

TOP 5 [last updated: Sept 16]
PENS | Sailor PGIB H-F | Pilot Falcon Black Resin SEF | Pilot VP 2016 LE Guilloché Binder Architect | Pelikan M405 Blue EF | Platinum 3776 Kawaguchi F |
INKS | J Herbin Bleu Prevenche | Sailor Sei-Boku | Pelikan Edelstein Jade | Diamine Autumn Oak | J Herbin Lie de The |

The Kaweco Sport nib will fit into a Noodler's Nib Creaper. It's one of the best swaps I've done.

The Kaweco stock feed doesn't supply enough ink to the nib for my liking. And once I switch to Kaweco 1.5 or 1.9 nibs, the thing skips like crazy.

I'm happy to say that the nib creaper with its ebonite feed, provides very generous flow to both 1.5 and 1.9 kaweco nibs. They never skip or write dry any more.

Where can you get a Kaweco sport nib without buying an entire pen?

I currently have a gorgeous Sheaffer lifetime nib, in a section. I have been squinting at my Kaigelu 316, and at this nib, and at my 316, and at this nib, and at my 316...One of these days I may give it a try...

Pelikan M80x nibs are size #6. I just popped mine into the Conid Regular Bulkfiller for a trial. :)

To wit - my Pelikonid:

post-124533-0-44538400-1458720335_thumb.jpg

post-124533-0-83567100-1458720349_thumb.jpg

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

• 1 month later...

I just bought a #6 nib from franklin-christoph.com (in person at the Chicago Pen Show) and they installed it into my (Paradise Pens) Padrino Trend. (I wanted a finer point than the M that it came with, and our local store closed).

Just to give a peep here, My Conklin #2 nib fits in a TWSBI Eco, and the 1.1 feed keeps up excellently with the flex!