Official Edison Group Buy - Materials Poll

120 members have voted

1. 1. What Material? (please vote only if you plan on participating)

• Beige/Black Swirl Ebonite at $190
    • Bedrock Flake Acrylic at $170
    • Neon Swirl Acrylic at $170
    • Midnight Swirl Acrylic at $170
    • Cobalt Fleck Acrylic at $170

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• The Scribbler

• Trillium

• Jimmy James

I voted for the ebonite but none of these materials really grab me.

Edited by heraclitus682

The Beige/Black Swirl Ebonite is certainly lovely, but it is a bit close to quite a few hand-made Ebonite Indian pens (very low cost) that I have, so I'll go with the Cobalt, though I will buy whatever we end up with - there's nothing I really dislike.

I went with the Midnight Swirl Acrylic, but was having a tough time deciding between that or the Beige/Black Swirl Ebonite. However, all of these materials look wonderful.

"To the optimist the glass is half full, to the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

If the ebonite wins, this may come down to what the new material for the Edison/Goulet upcoming is what I end up doing. I like a lot of ebonites, but the ones that look like wood (to me) are not my favored options.

I like all the acrylics, but I love the last two.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I'm somewhat surprised at the choices that were made. I take it availability of the material for a considerable number of pens as well as suitability for a production run were the big factors in these choices? At any rate, I figured it would be hard to get an agreement on that, and I appreciate the willingness to try on the part of all those involved.

However, I have to say that none of them really get me going, though the beige black swirl ebonite comes very close. Truthfully, I don't think anything would have gotten me going like the red black Ebonite. The blue isn't bad, and a pretty good attention getter, but I want a pen with "gravitas" I guess.

I'll see how this goes and either jump in, or pass and think about trying to get a custom in the red black ebonite.

It's not the end of the world; it's just the end of you. - David P. Goldman

Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative. - G.K. Chesterton

Cogito, ergo sum. Mensuror, quiat existo. Audio, ut fiam. Respondeo, etsi mutabor.–Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy

I'm somewhat surprised at the choices that were made. I take it availability of the material for a considerable number of pens as well as suitability for a production run were the big factors in these choices? At any rate, I figured it would be hard to get an agreement on that, and I appreciate the willingness to try on the part of all those involved.

However, I have to say that none of them really get me going, though the beige black swirl ebonite comes very close. Truthfully, I don't think anything would have gotten me going like the red black Ebonite. The blue isn't bad, and a pretty good attention getter, but I want a pen with "gravitas" I guess.

I'll see how this goes and either jump in, or pass and think about trying to get a custom in the red black ebonite.

It is tough to get some of the materials in production quantity, especially if Brian's looking at 100+ pens based on the initial poll. Some of the best ones are just hard to come by, I guess they make the custom pens that much more special.

Not to derail too much, but we do still have the Edison Nouveau Premiere LE's available in the red/black ebonite (we called it Cherry Cordial). At $200, it's still cheaper than going custom. Just another option if you're not crazy about the Pearl LE options here.

It is tough to get some of the materials in production quantity, especially if Brian's looking at 100+ pens based on the initial poll. Some of the best ones are just hard to come by, I guess they make the custom pens that much more special ...

I understand perfectly and just be clear I was not, in any way, criticizing anyone.

... Not to derail too much, but we do still have the Edison Nouveau Premiere LE's available in the red/black ebonite (we called it Cherry Cordial). At $200, it's still cheaper than going custom. Just another option if you're not crazy about the Pearl LE options here.

It's a fine offer and a beautiful pen. While the size of the Nouveau would work for my big hands, the shape of the Pearl is what sells me. I may yet come in if the back beige swirl is chosen.

Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative. - G.K. Chesterton

Cogito, ergo sum. Mensuror, quiat existo. Audio, ut fiam. Respondeo, etsi mutabor.–Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy

It's inevitable that the material will be a deal-breaker for some of us (or perhaps it's better to say it will steer us toward custom or production models), but I have to say I'm pleased at the choices here even if my least favorite is currently winning. It will be a great pen no matter which of these it is. The question on my mind is whether it will be for me versus other options like that stunning cobalt Nouveau Premiere.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I had no idea there was a group buy for an Edison pen... until I listened to the latest Goulet's Write Time YouTube video. I immediately hoped onto this site and have voted.

I have tended to buy cheap to middle of the range Fountain Pens here in Australia and always wanted a really smooth pen. An Edison bulb filler would be the ultimate, but for now this group buy will be sufficient.

I'm not a fan of the Beige/Black which is leading the poll at this point in time so voted for the Cobalt although the midnight swirl looks good as well.

I thought I'd be participating, but since I was already willing to cave in on the selected pen shape with the Pearl, I'm just not finding any that I see that appeal to me. The ebonite is close, but no cigar (which coincidentally is my preferred pen shape!). So I'm afraid I'm out, too. Alas.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

The material selection only demonstrate the immaculate good taste of the designer,

Brian (Goulet), I have one of your original Cobalt Noveau (it is gorgeous), and it is very close to this Cobalt Fleck,

So, think of Midnight for the next Noveau.

Julio

PS, you know, I have and strange weak for Blue and Grey pens,

The material selection only demonstrate the immaculate good taste of the designer, ...

Hmm, well, I congratulate all the possessors of "immaculate good taste." I think I'm going to stick with my shoddy taste, when spending my money. ;)

Brian, what does your custom order backlog look like?

From the original post:

Lastly, just so you know, whatever material will be the final pen will be exclusive to this Limited Edition for one year. This means that not only will the engraving make this a Limited Edition pen, but there will be no Edison Pearls made from the material nominated for a period of one year.

I also suspect that Brian didn't want to "knock out" any colors that sell very well in custom Pearls. A delicate balancing act I'm sure.

A delicate balancing act I'm sure.

Absolutely, and I applaud the effort. I'm sure there were variables we don't even know about. In thinking through the numbers in the original poll, my guess is getting one in four would be pretty good. If they get one in three, it should be considered a success. If they get more, and I hope they do, that'd be awesome. If this becomes a yearly thing, I imagine at some point they'll hit upon an offer I'd love to take advantage of.

My vote :hmm1: went for Beige/Black Swirl Ebonite but I am considering un-voting as I am 'truthfully' and 'reluctantly' not at all enamoured about the choice of colours.

Will give it 48 hours and make my decision then...

Shame

Update 7/3/12 - I amd bowing out, have retracted my vote, will make a direct purchase instead.

Edited by Charlieboy

I voted for the ebonite....it is the nearest to having a "tortoise-esque" feel to it, and the only one with a two toned nib.

It all depends on the the material for me. I've never been an ebonite fan, well black ebonite is ok, but in general I don't like the feel of ebonite in my hands when writing so I stay away from it. If that is the winner I may as well just try to put some other money together and go the custom route. I voted for the blue fleck.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j432/Rodera/Images%20to%20Use/signature2.jpg

-Mauri

The ebonite is actually growing on me. It's going to pretty clearly come right down to the wire for me on whether I buy a production pen or this group buy pen, I think.