Marlborough Model

creed

Hi all,

Planning to buy this beautiful (!) pen I have to make a choice of course of the several nibs available. Does somebody know the tipping sizes of the Fine, Italic F, Italic M, or a comparison with nibs of another brand?

Thanks,

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mary Burke

• mongrelnomad

• dreg

• The Good Captain

Conway Stewart nibs seem to run slightly broader than most.

It sounds like it is about the same size as the Wellington but with the weight of a Duro.

A truly outstanding looking pen, imho, in terrific material/colour choices. I must admit though that the black ebonite with silver trim really has some pop! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Hi all,

Planning to buy this beautiful (!) pen I have to make a choice of course of the several nibs available. Does somebody know the tipping sizes of the Fine, Italic F, Italic M, or a comparison with nibs of another brand?

Thanks,

I hope the image below helps!

http://mvburke.com/collectorsclub/sept2011/artofwriting2a.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks,

I hope the image below helps!

http://mvburke.com/collectorsclub/sept2011/artofwriting2a.jpg

Hey Mary

Nice pic

Perhaps you could add it to the pinned topic about nibsizes...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hi D.ick,

I have added the 'Art of Writing' image to the pinned nib size topic.

With kind regards,

Mary

A few people have asked me to post an image of the Marlborough Vintage Limited Edition with a white background to help with the choice of colours. I hope this helps ;)

http://www.mvburke.com/images/limitededitionsfldr/marlboroughvintage/catalogue-group.jpg

Well done Conway Stewart and Mary !! These are EXACTLY the pens I have been looking forward to getting....although I really hope this would've come out in April ..since there are too many goodies coming this march!! (Omas Burl wood for one....)

Mary please do kindly release more lever fillers for more models in the future! :)

Good feed back Mary

This model is one of the best of conway stewart from 1905 till present.

I will waite for the regular editions to come out,espacially in resin,hopefully it will have some weight like releigh.As for the packaging,i will advise a more compact churchill packaging with

marlborough vintage engraved in it.By the way when is the cavendish comming out to the newsletters near us

Good night all

As for the packaging,i will advise a more compact churchill packaging with

marlborough vintage engraved in it.

Must admit I find the boxes of the flagship CSs massively OTT. As well as probably costing a mint to produce (together with he superfluous quote book and cigar), they are a pain to store and completely dwarf the pens, diminishing that initial 'wow' factor.

Anyway, just ordered a black EF. I hate black pens. But...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

The Marlborough regular resin edition will be housed in our leather oblong presentation cases and the Marlborough Vintage Limited Edition is housed in our Churchill packaging.

Kind regards,

Mary Burke

Must admit I find the boxes of the flagship CSs massively OTT. As well as probably costing a mint to produce (together with he superfluous quote book and cigar), they are a pain to store and completely dwarf the pens, diminishing that initial 'wow' factor.

I agree with the comments on the packaging in general and specifically on the Marlborough LE, especially since the vast majority who will order this pen already have the Churchill, so the book and cigar are indeed superfluous. They add unecessarily to both the cost of pen and shipping. I would rather save $25-50 off the price of the pen and another $5-10 in shipping.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

A very small cardboard box just big enough for the pen and a folded instruction sheet would have been ideal for this pen, being vintage inspired and all.

-- dreg

I agree with the comments on the packaging in general and specifically on the Marlborough LE, especially since the vast majority who will order this pen already have the Churchill, so the book and cigar are indeed superfluous. They add unecessarily to both the cost of pen and shipping. I would rather save $25-50 off the price of the pen and another $5-10 in shipping.

+1

A very small cardboard box just big enough for the pen and a folded instruction sheet would have been ideal for this pen, being vintage inspired and all.

+1

:thumbup:

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

While that may be of true for many CS fans here on FPN, I'm not certain that the FPN membership are representative of the market as a whole. If CS are to remain in business they must appeal to a wider market. However, giving buyers the option of buying (or not) the fancy packaging at extra cost would make for an interesting experiment and the results could be used to inform future decisions.

+1 on the option of buying w/o packaging or greatly reduced packaging. :thumbup:

Good point. When I returned my Coronet for replacement with a Belliver, CS sent the pen in a non-descript but sturdy pen 'case' which was perfect for the postage protection. I didn't need another presentation storage extravagance. The option to choose 'packaging' at a reduced price might just be worth it in the long run.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

While that may be of true for many CS fans here on FPN, I'm not certain that the FPN membership are representative of the market as a whole. If CS are to remain in business they must appeal to a wider market. However, giving buyers the option of buying (or not) the fancy packaging at extra cost would make for an interesting experiment and the results could be used to inform future decisions.

+1

Good point to note.

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

• 2 weeks later...

fpn_1333085605__.jpg

The rose ripple has arrived today. The ebonite is beautiful but if you take a close look, you can see many scratches on the cap and barrel. There are also some small defects on the end of the barrel. The soft IB writes not only smoothly but can directly transfer my thought on the paper. It is hard to do in other pen manufacturers. However the nib seems not to start at the first stroke, and the tines do not align perfectly (same as Churchill) . The QC of CS should be better. Because of italic ,I can not rotate too much,or it will have click sound. The lever fill system seems a little bit different from Churchill too. The flow is wet but not too wet like my Churchill. I think I need time to get used to it and run in the nib.

Edited by mjchuang9